Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 16 - Rack Addicts

Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

It had to be one of my most irritating days ever in the tree stand. I got into the stand around 4. THen I sat there for nearly 2 hours waiting on prime time. About 8 minutes til 6 I seen my first deer and thw temperatures were dropping rapidly. About 10 after 6 I could tell this doe was getting very agitated. All of a sudden she trotted off. I thought maybe here comes a buck. Then I heard voices coming from behind me. Then all of a sudden it sounded like I was in the middle of a war zone. I finally decided to get down about 6:45. The neighbor must have fired off at least 500 or more rounds. I know he has the right to do it but it was so irritating. There for 2 hours, deer start coming in , it's prime time, then boom. The thing that really irritated me is they know there are bow hunters in the woods and yet they still do this. I just can't understand. Why would someone take their gun out and start shooting at 6:15 in the evening. Oh well, I'm done ranting. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Good luck to all
Old 10-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

razor, don't get down, the best part of the season is yet to come. If you hunt, they will come. Don't worry. It happens to all of us.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

After last night's fiasco I was hoping for a much better morning today. It was better but there is still a problem. It's this dang bow. I am not a bad shot, but this is the 4th deer I have missed already. I practice regulary. I don't know if it's just that I am not accustomed to this bow yet or not. Three of the misses have been point blank broadside shots and I never miss those. I am going to take the bow out back again and do some target shooting and see how it goes. Any suggestions from you guys. Good luck to everyone else out there. If the bow shoots good this afternoon I will try it again in the morning
Old 10-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was out this morning and I heard quite a few moving around before it got light. I only seen 1 once there was enough shooting light but it never came close enough though. It was a doe. I'm not sure when I will get back out again. I will be working every night now until Friday night. So, the rest of the week if I do get out it will only be in the evenings unless my boss will be nice and let me off early a morning or two this week. My son and I could have our bows back as early as Wednesday but it probably won't be until Friday. One side note, I did see three scrapes this morning. They were the first ones I seen this fall.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did not get out tonight but I will definitely be going out tomorrow evening.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry the absence.. I'm trying to get on here more often between work and life, but we all know how well that's going to happen with season being in now also.. Frontier and myself have been going back and forth trying to get my phone and DSL fixed.. So as soon as I get the internet back at my house I'll post my pics from this weekend.. (No, I didn't get one, but my hunting buddy did.)

Well this past Saturday was the opening day of Bow Season in WV.. It was a great cool morning, we went out and sat till mid day, that morning I swear only 2 bucks, a 3 point and an 8 point we called "One & One", but I didn't have a shot on either of them. My buddy saw a spike and another 8 point named "Slick", same story, he didn't have a shot at either of them. He also saw 5 or so does that morning. We went in at mid -day due to the fact of how windy it was so we figured it would die down some when we came back, well we were wrong, we decided to just wait it out.. Neither of us saw antyhing all afternoon and evening till about 30 minutes before shooting light was gone, well 1&1, the buck I could have got a shot on that morning walked right under his stand and didn't make it even 20 yards after he laid a Rage into him while double lunging him.. I'll post pics at the end of this week as long as Frontier can manage to fix my line..
Old 10-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took out that old piece of junk thing you call a bow Tuesday evening, and once again I missed an easy close range broad side shot. I can't figure it out. At home, in target practice, it is shooting fine. Out in the field is a whole different story. I have no idea where that arrow is going to go. So i said to myself that is it. I'm not taking out this bow anymore. Mine and my son's bow's are suppose to be in either today or Friday at the latest. but, you all know how that has been going. I'm guessing it has to be that the bow is about 60 feet per second slower and it must be the angle of the shot because I practice from the ground. My vacation starts this next week so it better be done before then.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

It's been very slow in my woods. I've seen about 12 deer in 5 hunts, and only 1 buck (small 8). The weather has been great, crops are coming out, and there are tons of acorns....just takes time I guess. I have noticed some rubs popping up around my stand in the past week which is encouraging. About Halloween the hunting really starts to get good here in Indiana. I will be on vacation the 1st week of Nov.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I figured out the old bow's problem. The sight pin, no matter how tight I make it won't stay completely tight. So the pin was moving around without me realizing it. I did not realize this was happening until today. I also found out we are getting our bows back on Friday no matter what. Fixed or not. If they aren't fixed we can still use them. Also, if they aren't fixed the shop will call us when the parts come in and I can take them out there and have them fixed up right away. My vacation starts Tuesday and I don't have to go back to work until November 19th. Happy hunting to all and good luck to all.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Man, Sounds like you've been having a time and a half with your bow there Shawn.. Good to hear you're at least going to be getting it back in time for your Vacation, now just time to put it to good use..

Good Luck to everyone.. It's about time we get some bone on the board!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.