Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 6 Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Schu me and my buddy are going to take off Saturday november 20th early in the morning enough time to be up there before 10am. His brother's father inlaw hunts out that way and says he has a couple of spots but never hurts to look for more. Not sure how far of a drive that would be for you but maybe we can meet up and do some bird hunting together it would be cool to actually meet a member of the team. Let me know what you think.

Pope sounds like you had a great encounter and with him making rubs that close to your stand I would say you have a really good chance of seeing that buck again in the near future. If there is any way to possibly move your stand a little closer to where he is actually rubbing that would be an option that I would look into myself.

Not sure if any of you guys use decoys or not but what is your take on them and when would you start using one?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very uneventful hunt last night, not a deer to be found. Lots of new sign, scrapes and rubs, but with that spotlight in the sky at night, no surprises really that it was so quiet. I'm going to leave it alone today and tomorrow. My brother will be here in a week, staying a week, so we'll pound it pretty hard during that time. POURING rain right now, which is great to quiet things down and knock some more leaves off the trees. Good luck guys if you're out this weekend.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by palmergt3
Schu me and my buddy are going to take off Saturday november 20th early in the morning enough time to be up there before 10am. His brother's father inlaw hunts out that way and says he has a couple of spots but never hurts to look for more. Not sure how far of a drive that would be for you but maybe we can meet up and do some bird hunting together it would be cool to actually meet a member of the team. Let me know what you think.
There is a chance that I will be out in the south central part of the state rifle hunting that weekend. Once the time gets closer I will know for sure though.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

It's been pretty dead around here. I'm still only seeing does and fawns.
I will be heading out to Ohio again this Friday. Things should really be starting to move out there. We plan on going out two weekends in a row. Definitely didn't want to waste a trip out there with this full moon.

PalmerGT, Decoys
Now is the time to start using a buck decoy. You should be able to grunt them in to it.
The first and 2nd week of November you want to set it up as a doe with her tail straight out. Make sure you spray it down with scent killer.
I like to hang a wick from there tail with dominate buck urine when it's a buck and doe estrous when it's setup as a doe. They definitely work.

Good luck to all.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Schu sounds good just let me know.
Dmax thanks for the advice I will be sure to give that a shot and hopefully it will get the team some points!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

I'm hoping by this time next week we will be on the board with some points. These next 3 weeks are going to be crucial.
Good Luck to All! Shoot Straight!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Woke up to 73 degrees and 40 mph winds...DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I picked up a new spot last week 140 acres of prime real estate, hunted it one evening and passed on a 120ish buck. I found 16 scrapes on the property and hung my cuddeback on a big one. Keep your fingers crossed that there is a monster on there. The owner and neighbors say there is a big one out there. Good luck guys!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like one hell of a new spot! Good luck out there. This wind the last couple days is insane, hopefully none of my stands took a beating. Going to check my camera Friday, then hunt starting Saturday afternoon when my brother gets here, and we'll hunt everyday through 11/7. With any luck, there will be a couple giants hitting the ground. Moon phase looks pretty good, weather is shaping up nicely, now just need a buck to cooperate. I REALLY want my brother to see a shooter, whether he kills or not, just to see a true midwest mongo will make the trip for him. On his camera back home, he had pics of a spike buck 6 days in a row, then they found him yesterday while bird hunting, after being eaten by wolves, just a mess of bone shards, hair, and the top of the skull with his spikes. Kind of unnerving to see, from what he told me. Plenty of wolves around up there these days.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Well thought we were going to get a cold front in to nebraska and things would start getting going in the woods but only looks to be a teaser, temps are supposed to be back up into the 70s come saturday. One more full week of work after that then I start my 5 days of leave just before the gun season here starts and the deer start getting really skidish.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm seeing no Bucks but Buck sign is popping up. Some does & Fawns. Like hurricane outside right now. I'll be back at it Monday...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.