2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 6 Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, sounds like most of us have been getting out. Thats good.

I went out this morning a little late and only saw 4 does but ill hit it hard tomorrow morning and the rest of the weekend. Tonight I have a football game against Solon.
We are ranked 1 in the state for 3a and solon is ranked 6. This is suppose to be the biggest game of the year. People are estimating over 10,000 people to be there and all sorts of tv broadcasters there and a live radio announcers. All just for a highschool football game. Its going to be big!

After the game we are heading out to the cabin so I can hunt tomorrow morning. After tomorrows hunt me and my dad are going to a friends house to get 60 or 70 2x4s for our cabin for the walls. We are gonna start putting up the walls and the roof this weekend. Ill get pics up for you guys sunday night.

I got a decent 9 pointer on trail camera and a beautiful coyote that would be a cool mount. If you guys want to see check out the trail camera section. Thread is labeled "Some new bucks and a coyote".
Old 10-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hope your game went well Pope!

Got my first hunt of the year in last night. It was only a brisk 89 degrees when I hit the woods at about 4:20. Gross, just too damn hot for this time of year. Pretty uneventful night, no surprise with the weather though. Saw a doe and two fawns after the sun was gone and they milled around for a while. I could have shot the doe 10 times but I just didn't feel like messing with a doe in that heat. So, she got a pass. Supposed to be just as hot today so I think I'll stay home and watch football. Got two shooters on my camera, in daylight, so with any luck they'll stick around for another week.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by YooperMike
Hope your game went well Pope!

Got my first hunt of the year in last night. It was only a brisk 89 degrees when I hit the woods at about 4:20. Gross, just too damn hot for this time of year. Pretty uneventful night, no surprise with the weather though. Saw a doe and two fawns after the sun was gone and they milled around for a while. I could have shot the doe 10 times but I just didn't feel like messing with a doe in that heat. So, she got a pass. Supposed to be just as hot today so I think I'll stay home and watch football. Got two shooters on my camera, in daylight, so with any luck they'll stick around for another week.

Well I hate to say it but we lost to solon... 22-7. We played like crap and they had their best game of the year. But oh well, we lost the possibility of 3a disctrict champs but we can still get state champs.

I went out to the cabin friday night after the game and saturday morning I went out and saw a few does. Then we left at around 9 to go to our friends to get a bunch of 2x4s for our cabin. We got back around 12 and worked on it awhile. Then my girlfriend came out after work and went hunting with me saturday night. It was a hot day and I went to go set the blind up. I was sweatin like a pig. I got it up and didn't even get everything inside ready when this doe started walking straight to us. She walked probably 10 feet in front of us and stood their eating for about 30 minutes then she just took off in a dead sprint. Then she decided to come back 15 minutes later and their she was again 8-10 feet from the blind and she was broadside and the video camera was running so I let a arrow fly at her. I hit her with a complete pass through. I watched the video and it looked like a perfect shot but when I found my arrow their was no blood on it. Just a punch of urine and poop.... Not a good sign. I looked at the video again and the enter hole was aimed right for a double lung but the arrow exited way far back. I think she jumped when she heard the bow fire and the motion of her made the arrow move when inside of her. Well I followed a faint blood trail for about 60 yards and lost it. We looked everywhere for a couple hours in the night and didn't find any trace of her. I went out the next day to look again but couldn't find her. I hated to give up on her but I looked everywhere I thought she could be. Being out in the heat all night, the meat on her wouldn't be any good anyway.
I didn't see anything the rest of the weekend. Me and my dad got really far on the cabin though. All of the walls are up and part of the roof is on.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tough luck on the doe Pope, hard to say how far she could have made it with that shot. Single lung/liver shot deer can travel seemingly infinitely.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

went out this morning didn't put anything down but did have a pretty cool encounter with a doe coming into the ol' scarface decoy. Had a deer come in just before sun up couldn't tell if it was a buck or a doe. Deer never came out of the trees to the alfalfa field where the decoy was set up, figured at this point in time that the decoy was a BAD idea. Well about a hour later another doe comes walking in and walked right up to the decoy smelling him and eating right next to where I had him set up. This gives me a good feeling that the decoy is going to work out great this rut!!! Now you maybe be asking yourself well if this dip$it had this doe eating at 15yds right next to the decoy why didn't he shoot her? Well I was hoping that more deer would start following her out into the alfalfa field and of course they didn't and I didn't see another deer all morning, so of course the whole ride home I am asking the question why didn't this dip$#it shoot her!!!!! Hope the rest of you are having good hunts
Old 10-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Well, after my house was robbed, I got a new computer and bow, along with many other things (thank god for renters ins). Any bucks down team?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Got back from Ohio last night. What a stinking hot weekend. I only saw one buck and he was a 2-1/2 year old 8 point that probably would have scored 90.
He got a pass and I could have shot him so many times.
We aren't headed back until the 29th of this month. The pre-rut should be in full swing by then.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Sportsman 22 sorry to hear about your tough luck man
Old 10-13-2010, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that really sucks Sportsman. Did you tell the insurance guy you had a Carbon Matrix when he asked for the bow value? Pretty good storm blowing through right now with a north wind, should take some leaves down. No frost in the near future though so the undergrowth is going to be thick for a while longer.

Good pass on the 8-point dmax, if he makes it for next year, he'll be nice.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

been out twice & saw Zero. Not uncommon in area I hunt. LOTs of standing corn in my area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.