2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 6 Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Hey fellas sorry haven't been on here bow season for us started back on the 15th but have not yet had a chance to get in the woods had to make and unexpected trip to FL last week my wife's father passed away unexpectedly. Just got back early this morning and tommorow right back to the grind of work and of course while I was gone the weather was perfect and this next week it will be back up into the high 80's low 90's so don't know how much I will even get out.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

palmergt3, Sorry to hear about the Father-Inlaw. Family comes first. There will be plenty of days left to go hunting. Good luck to you when you get a chance.

Pope94/IA, How did you make out this past weekend?

I'm starting to get excited. Trying to get everything together. We are headed out to Ohio Friday for the Season opener on Saturday.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dmax4me
palmergt3, Sorry to hear about the Father-Inlaw. Family comes first. There will be plenty of days left to go hunting. Good luck to you when you get a chance.

Pope94/IA, How did you make out this past weekend?

I'm starting to get excited. Trying to get everything together. We are headed out to Ohio Friday for the Season opener on Saturday.

It had its goods and its bads.. It was just opening weekend of youth season so its hard to expect a to see a buck. No bucks in sight but I did see well over 50 does in the three times I went out hunting.
My plans were to go out friday night after the football game and hunt saturday morning but instead I felt like sleeping in. Plus it was raining like crazy. It rained all weekend. Thank god for hunting blinds. Saturday night I went out, note that its still raining... I saw probably 6 or 7 does but no bucks. Sunday I woke up at 5:30 and the wind was howling with rain pouring down so off to sleep I went. Woke up at 9 and wind died down and it was just misting so I went out for a three hour walk. Scared up about 30 does and a coyote. I was gonna shoot the coyote but the only shot I had was a straight to the face head shot and I didn't want to make that kind of shot. Even if it is a coyote... I got back to the cabin at 12 and me and my dad worked on our addition to the cabin. Then I went back out at 3 and sat in my blind until 7:30 and it rained/misted off and on the whole time. I saw a few does but thats it.
The weather guessing guys say this next weekend is going to be a nice one.. but what do they know...? 70% chance of rain last thursday but never rained... hmm?

Tonight I had a JV football game and we won. Both our jv and varsity are 4-0. That would put my class of 2013 at a 13-0 winning streak since the start of our freshman year.
For any of you from Iowa or following Iowa high school football. We are ranked #1 in the state for 3A.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, the season opened this past weekend and I was out in the woods for most of it. The temps were great but it rained on and off all three days. I saw a few deer but nothing in range. One doe at 400 yards and a 6 pointer at 150 yards. I also kicked up a small buck and another deer (too dark to see) on my trail back to the car these past two evenings. Thats frustrating and encouraging at the same time. I will be hunting a new spot tomorrow and Wednesday and possibly a new spot on Thursday and Friday before I head back out to this spot next weekend. Its supposed to warm back into the upper 70s and bid 80s and continue to rain this week so I am not to optimistic about my chances. We will see though.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

Glad to hear the stories of your hunts guys.
Deer movement here in PA has definitely changed in the past couple of weeks.
We have an over abundant crop of acorns this year and they are falling everywhere.
With that being said the deer don't have to move very far to fill their stomachs.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm jealous of you guys that have already been able to get out! Sounds like you at least had some activity Pope, and congrats on the football too! Phil, a good friend of mine hunts in Rusk County, and it was pretty quiet this weekend for them too, not a lot of activity. He's got a bear tag too, so he's kind of doing double duty this week, keeping one eye for deer and one for bears. I have the final night of fall 5-spot league tonight, pick up my arrows and get them all dressed up this weekend, then just one more week to wait! I booked my Montana bird hunt on Sunday, so i'm suer pumped about that too!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

I did some scouting this past weekend and for the limited time that I had, I saw quite a few deer. In one area I saw 2 pretty decent bucks, a spike, and 7 doe. They were all muleys. In another area I saw three decent whitetail doe. I managed to see them on 2 different days right around the same time so I may have to set up and pick one of them off.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Schu, can you shoot either species?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Yes I can. I have a Any deer tag and an any anterless tags. We are allowed to shoot either species. On the east side of the state is pretty much all whitetail and on the western side it is pretty much all muley. I hunt in the central part of the state so there is a mix of both. I am lucky enough to have access to plenty of land that has large amounts of both.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Well tonight actually here in about 30min I will be heading out to my tree stand for the first sit of the season. temps aren't to bad and it has been raining off and on all day so hopefully tonight will be a good night

and Dmax thanks I appreciate it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.