Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest
THE RETURNING CHAMPIONS - Team XXIV - The Bone Mafia >

THE RETURNING CHAMPIONS - Team XXIV - The Bone Mafia

Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

THE RETURNING CHAMPIONS - Team XXIV - The Bone Mafia

Old 12-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The events that transpired tonight I still am in shock and total disbelief of..... My friend Collin and I decided that we wanted to go out and try the new call out and see if we could get some foxes. We went and made 2 calls and at the end of the 2nd call I said to him hey do you want to see what will happen if we play the Coyote Locator?? He said go for it, we figured what the [censored] do we have to lose anyhow. Well we played it and I muted it after 2 or 3 runs of the pack howling, we stood there for a minute or two and just hung out waited to hear a response, nothing, so we take off to the next spot, which is less than a mile from the one we just called, well maybe a mile, but the same general area, Anyhow, we get there and we were talking well he steps out and says SHH SHHH!!!! and I'm going what the [censored] is he on about now, well I open my door and listen, I can hey Coyotes Howling and they're not super far. I said OK!!! I'll grab the .17HMR and we'll take the shotguns too, In case they hang up we'll be able to get them with the rifle. Well I didn't have my scope light so I figured we could shoot it with the head lamps we had on. We walk down to the spot we usually call from and I give him the caller said go set this thing in a bush or something where its elevated, he does that and I finish getting both guns loaded and ready to go, he comes back I said OK! I'll run the DSG cottontail distress, so I said you ready he gave me the thumbs up and I turned it on, called for maybe 4 or 5 minutes with that, didn't get a response, well I was losing faith and I said OK I'm gonna switch it over to the coyote pup distress #3. Flipped that baby on and then maybe a minute later, I feel him giving me the elbow, He said I see eyes, I scan the spot his lights on and I see them, Now I'll be totally honest with you guys and say this, The next 15-20 seconds are a little weird for me to recall so bear with me. Its amazing how many thoughts raced through my head in that little bit of time.

I saw the eyes and instantly said in my head wow, they seem weird how they're coming in, they're not really bouncing. I can remember thinking man that things moving pretty fast, it never once Crossed my mind this may be a Coyote. I had the .17 shouldered and I kept saying to him I cant see it in the scope, Which was pointless because it wasn't hung up.
I kept lifting my head up off the gun and finding it again, then trying to get it in the scope, well in all this I think it was the fact of just how odd it all seemed to me that made me kept thinking that man That things Too far its way way too far!!! I kept saying to him Wait! wait! Wait!! Wa.... BOOM.... And I was so tuned in at that time that the 3.5"mag didn't even make my ears ring or anything. I could hear it start spinning and take off into the brush I was thinking to myself [censored] he wounded a Gray and now were gonna have to try to find it in the dark. I don't remember a lot of what happened with me messing with the caller to turn it off or walking over to where we thought he shot it at, but I know this, we went to where he hit it and didn't find a spec of blood. I knew I heard it spinning and having one [censored] of a time but I never thought for a second that it wasn't gonna be dead we just had to find it. Well we started walking aimlessly around looking for this Fox and couldn't find anything no blood nothing, then I went back to where he thought he hit it after about 15 minutes of searching, and I found one bloody piece of brush. We were pumped!! I said OK!! well I'm positive its dead we just gotta find it, we looked and looked and nothing. Just kept walking around aimlessly and finally I said OK! I moved him about 5 yards apart from me and i said walk straight that way. We walked up to the end of the thicket and then I said okay one more pass, we walked down the opening I moved him 5 yards from where he was and I went 5 yards from where his new spot was and we started searching again. We got about 30 yards from where we reset at and I looked and I said Ohh my god!!! Its a COYOTE!!!! We Instantly started freaking out I ran over to him and hugged him and we were both freaking out jumping around like a bunch of kids I Know I didn't cry but I was [censored] close to it. I was beyond pumped up. I couldn't believe we did it after all those years all the frustration and all the little things going wrong to just have it all come together was just amazing.

Sorry for the long read guys but I am beyond excited. I'm almost like a kid on Christmas morning...... Ohh wait!!! IT IS CHRISTMAS MORNING!!!!! We killed him about 1AM Christmas day. Even though I didn't shoot him, and the thought of it being a Coyote never crossed either of our minds I couldn't be happier for my friend. If I had to do it over again, I'd have made dang sure he would have shot it. I took him out a bunch of other times and I got him his first fox and we killed maybe 3 more together, (Been slow don't know why) and now I got him and my First Coyote. On a side note, I even said this to him as well on the way home, Dude.... I think when we hugged I think I lifted You in the air.... he was like Holy crap I think your right hahaha!!!!

Ryan.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Ryan,

Great story and pictures and a pretty good christmas present. Congrats I know how hard it is to call in a coyote in Pa.

Dave

Last edited by dliz; 12-25-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dave I appreciate it IIt was just luck you know.

Ryan.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the yote. I need to try for some, my area is overrun with the devils. Whats the brand name of the call you used?

Anyways I will be back out with the bow first week of January. Bout 3 feet of snow to deal with however. May need to get some snowshoes. Got an eight with the gun.
Merry Christmas guys

Old 12-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a Foxpro spitifire. They're website is www.gofoxpro.com Congrats on the awesome buck!!!

Ryan.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

Don,

Great buck and good luck in extended archery season. It willl be tough in three feet of snow!!! Maybe they'll come to your food plots, everthing I've read is they need to eat to stay warm in that kind of weather. Probably will not travel very far with three feet on the ground.

Started putting trail cameras out to see what is left over for next year. There are a couple of great bucks that if they make it through will be slammers for next year.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hows everyone doing? everyone have a safe new year??

Ryan.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

My New Year's day was pretty good. I took both boys hunting that Saturday since it was the second of two youth weekends for the State of Missouri. My youngest son got a buck during the first season so he was there to have fun and shoot his pellet gun. He managed to do a head-shot on a squirrel at 40 yds, then 5 minutes later my oldest son shot his first buck with a .243 that belonged to my grandmother. It was a nice little 6 point. I was a couple hundred yards away trying to get a bow kill so I didn't witness the shot but made it to the celebration zone shortly thereafter.
-and yes, he is hunter safety certified, so I didn't have to be in the immediate area!
Attached Thumbnails THE RETURNING CHAMPIONS - Team XXIV - The Bone Mafia-bang-buck.jpg  

Last edited by KCMO Cityboy; 01-07-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow Congrats clay I'd be ecstatic for the kid great job bet its an awesome feeling as a father.

Ryan.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Clay,

Im sure it was exciting. Its always special when you own son gets one. Tell him I said congrats.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.