Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest
THE RETURNING CHAMPIONS - Team XXIV - The Bone Mafia >

THE RETURNING CHAMPIONS - Team XXIV - The Bone Mafia

Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

THE RETURNING CHAMPIONS - Team XXIV - The Bone Mafia

Old 12-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Just checked and it looks like we are only one good buck out of the lead. I saw a really good one tonite when I was driving out of the park I was hunting in. He was only about fourteen inches wide. But was very tall and had awesome mass.probably 150 or better. Going back tomorrow.hopefully I will have some luck. This is the only place around that I can bowhunt during gun season.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

PJ,

That would be awesome if we could get another good buck on the ground.

Yo Guys
My good scouting and hunting friend shot a great buck this past week. Great character, unbelievable mass and 12 points. Check him out, grossed around 150.

Last edited by dliz; 12-05-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow dave, that is a HUGE HUGH buck.

PJ sounds like you got some good ones your chasing as well, good luck bud.

No luck again for me this weekend though. Maybe next weekend.

Ryan.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

hunting all weekend during our ohio gun season...i didnt see one deer..talk about discouraging
Old 12-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

I got pics of the big twelve pt on three different days this week in our woods. Looks like he might've ready to slip up. Going to hunt it hard this weekend
Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow couple of nice bucks there.

I've been gun hunting lately. Just couldnt quite get a clear shot at a pretty nice buck in Ohio's gun season(I use a revolver). Passed on some "easy" shots on smaller bucks.
Took a couple does in Pa gun season, (one with revolver one with slug gun)
I'll be back in Ohio for thier extended gun in a couple weeks and probably finish out late shotgun in PA. I still have 2 more PA doe tags
Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by reds10ss
hunting all weekend during our ohio gun season...i didnt see one deer..talk about discouraging

Gotta keep on grinding mike!!! dont get down bud.

Keep it up guys, lets see if we can pull a win out for the 2nd time.
If nothing else, we've got some awesome memories.

Ryan.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

well guys, Maryland was good to me yesterday, went to Garrett county in the morning, only saw one while I was driving to a different spot (place was infested with guys) anyhow, I went to Allegheny county for the 2nd half of the day, I took my time walking into this spot, I took an hour to walk 2 miles. Then when I got there I sat down at the edge of the clear cut, and they usually just come up to the clear cut at dark. It was getting late and i was freezing, I started cleaning my stuff up from my fallen log lounger. I decided to stand for a little since I was laying all day, and when I stood up apparently I missed a leaf or two, well those turned out to be the two leafs that were going to ruin my hunt. They made the loudest sound imaginable and I saw a flash of white going through the timber about as far away as I could see. I was livid to say the least, I sat down and was all huffy thinking today's the last day and that's whats going to happen after everything. I decided to scope down there and see what I could see, well I cranked the scope to 12 and started scanning that area and I saw a deer, I was SHOCKED. I thought I had just gotten busted, I have no idea what I saw running but it was something for sure, with darkness closing in fast I decided to take this doe I was having trouble tracking her through the timber and I thought wait a second, shes walking right to me what the heck am I doing?? So I waited and she kept coming well I was having trouble keeping her in the scope and I didn't know why, (remember I cranked it to 10) and then I decided to get in front of her and wait for her to step in and I'd take her, well At the tree I picked, when she stepped out she locked onto me and that was the first she stopped on the entire course of the hill and her front shoulder was exposed, I moved the cross hairs off her head to her front shoulder and let it fly. The .308 barked and down she went and let me tell you, the woods absolutely came alive!! Apparently she wasn't alone coming up that hill and there were at least 3 other deer coming straight up the hill at me and they were close close when I shot her. She was 30 yards when I shot her with my bear loads (Didn't have the time to re-sight in) It put a hurtin on her. Boy was I ever excited, but the problem was, I was 100% alone. and it was quite a hike down to the truck. Now here's the other thing, it was 5o clock when I shot her, I looked at my watch at 458 when I saw that flash of white and then it wasn't 2 minutes later she was on top of me, well the problem was, I had no Flashlight and I had to drag her out by myself. Well I hurried up, tagged and gutted her in the dark and scrambled to use any last sun light to find my way to the bottom all I can say is I don't remember that creek being QUITE that deep when I crossed it earlier in the day. Then my next problem became, I could hardly lift her into the bed by myself, It took all I had to get her in there and I sat in the truck for about 20 minutes trying to recover. Sorry for the long read but man was it ever a crazy night.

Ryan.

As you can tell I was shakin like crazy Too excited to hold my camera steady for pictures.

This was the best I could do I set the camera on my backpack and you can see how dark it was getting It was a lot darker with the naked eye Im surprised the pictures turned out that good

Just a neat picture I took down at the creek when I was going in, Looks like someone had a little trouble with the Ice.

Hope you guys liked it.

Ryan.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

hell yea ryan... congrats man!! good story and good pics. im hoping to knock one down this coming up weekend
Old 12-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Ryan,
Nice job with the .308 Glad you had a successful weekend. Love that picture at the creek bed.
Been following the action here guys, but haven't had a chance to post. Sorry.
I've only hunted a little lately. A few weeks ago I stalked up to a nice bedded buck only to get busted by the doe that was with him. This guy was chasing a doe and I saw it bed down about 280 yards across a field from where I was hunting so I hopped out of my treestand and figured I would try to put the sneak on him. I was probably 10 feet from the thing but couldn't see it because of the tall grass between us that I was using as cover. Had no idea that I was that close to him at the time. As I tried to peek over the grass the doe, which was about 30 yds away, breaks out and then the buck springs out of his cover and into the woods. I was so close to him I could hear him breathing moments before the doe busted us up. It was wild to say the least. Hopefully I'll be able to get out a couple more times before Christmas. Keep up the good work guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.