HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rubs and Scrapes
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 07:49 AM
BigBuck28
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rubs and Scrapes

hi and welcome to the addicting world of bowhunting.
1Rub- a rub is a place that a deer has rubed his antlers on a tree. Bucks rub for many reasons, they however do not rub very seriously to remove velvet. ( i figure id get that rumor out the way).One aspect of rubs is the intimidation factor. When evera buck gets the chance, they rub to overly intimidate other bucks. Much to the effect of guys strutting there stuf in a weight room. It establishes pecking orders. It says im here and im huge so dont mess. Rubsarnt made to define the boundries of a bucks home area,howeverthey hold scent and visual communication between bucks. when bucks rub, they leave behind odors from the saliva, and forhead and preorbital gland( agland on the bucks head-that why u shouldnt touch the rub) Rubs can also be made along a bucks prefered trail to his feeding area and then another one back to his bedding area. It is safe to say that a rub made facinga feeding area was made by a buck in the morning when he was returing and then a rub faceing away from a feeding area was made in the afternoon while he was coming toward the area.
2. Scrapes- are areas of ground that a buck paws out and deposits scent in. there are a few typesof scrapes-primary(which are usally in cover and very large) and other scrapes. Scrapes are a calling card for bucks asking for a date. Im not that Knowledgeable in scrapes so i wont fill ur head with stuf that i think are true

well theres my 2 cents hope they helped you a little im not by anymeans an expert but i have found out some stuff threw 100s of hours in the woods GOOD LUCK