Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009 Archery Turkey Contest
 Team 5 Check In "Los Cazadores de Pavos" >

Team 5 Check In "Los Cazadores de Pavos"

Team 5 Check In "Los Cazadores de Pavos"

Old 03-23-2009, 06:58 AM

Default RE: Team 5 Check In "Los cazadores de pavos"

Alright Todd! Go get us a good bird. I have got my eye on what looks to be about a 20 lb bird w/ a 7-8 in. beard. He has been tempting me all weekend.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:27 AM

Hey guys what can yall do w/ this picture for the team??? Any photoshopers.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't help with the photo shopping -

Anyone been out scouting recently? I've been watching the fields on the way to and from work but haven't seen anything moving.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Yea they have been off and on around here on the ranch. The same hen is here everyday but somedays she will have 4 buddies and some day 10 or more. I have definately seen some nice toms in the groups. Getting pretty pumped only 8 days out.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys my South Dakota trip looks like it will be cancelled this year on saturday I got some of the worst news of my life. Mysisters 24 month oldson woke up on saturday with a fever they went to the doctor and he told them he had avirus and to keep an eye on him and push fluids, they went home and within an hour he got much worse and on the way to the hospital he died. My sister is also 8and a half months pregnant with there second child. Long story short I will be here in Florida for a while with them to try and do whatever I can to help.
Good luck to you guys on your openers and i will keep you updated.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 PM

Mconwa my prayers are with you and your family. I am so sorry about your loss.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mconwa951

Hey guys my South Dakota trip looks like it will be cancelled this year on saturday I got some of the worst news of my life. Mysisters 24 month oldson woke up on saturday with a fever they went to the doctor and he told them he had avirus and to keep an eye on him and push fluids, they went home and within an hour he got much worse and on the way to the hospital he died. My sister is also 8and a half months pregnant with there second child. Long story short I will be here in Florida for a while with them to try and do whatever I can to help.
Good luck to you guys on your openers and i will keep you updated.
At a loss for words here, that's terrible.

On the scouting front, the strutting has begun! I was off yesterday and watched 3-4 Toms and 6-8 hens feeding. 3 more weeks!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:39 AM

Well guys, I watched about 5 good toms tree up last night, and then went out this morning to watch em and almost got busted, they are goin crazy right now. The wind is blowing about 30 mph out of the north and they are still sounding off like crazy. Tomorrow morning is opener so I am gonna go watch em limb up tonight and set up in the AM hopefully bring us back a bird for the team.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ZachCL

Well guys, I watched about 5 good toms tree up last night, and then went out this morning to watch em and almost got busted, they are goin crazy right now. The wind is blowing about 30 mph out of the north and they are still sounding off like crazy. Tomorrow morning is opener so I am gonna go watch em limb up tonight and set up in the AM hopefully bring us back a bird for the team.
good luck buddy go get us a bird
Old 04-06-2009, 05:10 PM

FORGET THE WIND JUST HUNT- thats my new slogan after today!!!!!!!!!
Well despite the windy conditions here, somehow I got it done on opening day. After the morning hunt w/ my wife she went back to bed. I went back to the woods to see what I could scare up. I had a gobble and went to work on him. I got alot of response from him but couldnt get him to commit. I went home and ate some lunch took a little nap. At about noon I went back out for one last hoorah for opening day. I went to the edge of a creek and gave a soft call. BAM he was right in my lap. I quickly set up my little hen decoy and set down in some brush on the side of a hill. GOBBLE GOBBLE, there he was right behind me. The adrenaline was starting to flow by now. I gave a few soft clucks and purred to him a little. When I first saw him he was walking down the hill about 10 yrds to the side of me. Thank God for the brush I was in. As soon as he saw the decoy he was struttin and drummin like crazy right there beside me. My heart was coming out of my dang chest now and I was beginning the shakes real bad. It was at this point that I realized he was just a jake but you know, I never thought twice about it. I had my decoy ranged at 30 yrds and when he went behind a cedar I set up and drew my bow. Now he was giving my decoy a love song and strutting up bigtime. The next time he stopped I sent my arrow on its way. Heard the smack and watched him trot about 10 yrds and died right there.

I had a blast, regardless of wether he is a jake or not I got him runnin and gunning w/ my bow. No blind just natural brush and the show he put on was great. Here are some pics for yall to enjoy.

Oh yea and if the deke looks a little wierd its because its a foam jake I got on sale for 5 bucks. Painted the head and popped the beard back into the body. It looks good enough for me and the turkeys I guess.

NWTF score is 27.

Quick Reply: Team 5 Check In "Los Cazadores de Pavos"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.