Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009 Archery Turkey Contest
 **RETURNING CHAMPS** Team Just Chasin' Tail >

**RETURNING CHAMPS** Team Just Chasin' Tail

Community

**RETURNING CHAMPS** Team Just Chasin' Tail

Old 05-05-2009, 10:52 AM

Default RE: **RETURNING CHAMPS** Team 3 thread

I missed yesterday morning. I set-up on a fence row between two fields where I have seen turkeys in the past. I had no idea if their were any gobblers in the area but figured that it was worth a shot. I had a group of turkeys come in a little after day break and missed a really nice strutter at around 30 yards. I have no idea how I did it, but I just blew the shot. I went out lastnight to try to see if they were still in the area and put one to roost. I never heard a gobble but I thought that I had heard some birds fly up about 50 yards behind my house. I got set-up back there this morning and the 3 gobblers were goin crazy from around 5:45 a.m. till around 6:45 a.m. I did one series of soft yelps when I had figured that they flew down and shut up. I figured that they would fly down into a little field and walk down the dirt road to the big field where I had my blind set-up. They must have circled around and went through my backyard and up into a large thicket.

I will probablly be back out tomorrow morning for a little while, hopefully it comes together for me.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get em going hot while they are still in the trees. I was doing soft tree yelps till it got a little lighter then lay into them with some excited yelps and cuts series and do a big gathering boss hen call, about 12-15 yelps in a row. Has been workin for us, I justdidn't havethe opportunity to use it this weekend. Although I did use a small version of it when I brought that one in saturday in the afternoon. When they are henned up you gotta be the biotch from the get go and make them come to you from the fly down or your hunt is over till late morning when they are done or you can bring that boss hen in. I brought 4 hens in sat mornin and we were talkin back and forth for over an hour and the boss hen did not like me one bit. Four hens and me all talkin for over an hour non stop and no toms or jakes even in the area, and only one tom within ear shot,how rediculous... Good Luck. WCL
Old 05-10-2009, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Was able to get out one more time....between moving and new job things are NUTS!!! Any way no luck but still some time.....BM tough break on the miss...it happens especially on birds.....keep at it[8D]
Old 05-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tough break BM.
Well I have found over 50 morels on the farm thi weekend. I had some with a NY strip for lunch[8D]

Keep at it guys, when does your seasons end?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got one more season to hunt but will only have the weekend to hunt it again, next weekend. WCL
Old 05-11-2009, 06:27 PM

I've got till the 25th to get it done. I have been working on the bird I missed but he is winning. Thursday I had him at 80 yards and closing but two deer picked out my blind when they entered the field and spooked the bird. I was out Friday and didn't hear anything in the morning, went out to that area this morning and nothing again. I checked it out this evening and saw three hens in the field but no gobbler, I think he may be roosting in a different area now which I am gonna try in the morning. I checked that area out this evening and saw some fresh tracks and dung so I am hoping that is where he is hanging out.