2009-2010 Deer Hunting Contest Good Luck to Everyone This Hunting Season!

Team 5 Official Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Spike

Default How?

Do you guys manage to sit still for so long?

This is my first season hunting deer. Up in the north east the main option is from a stand or blind. I think if i get a deer it will make it easier in thr future but until I get one...it's tough.

Also, its the last day of season this weekend and there are supposed to be storms of snow and rain. Is it worth the 5 hour drive there and back for a day of hunting?

I hope everyone else is having a great season!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

I guess I just love being out there watching nature. I don't have to see a buck everytime. There've been times when the only thing I've seen are a few does and some squirrels. Earlier this year I watched a squirrel go back and forth between trees, he even tried carrying an apple up the tree i was sitting in. I've had raccons, cats, & pheasants walk right by or under me. This last weekend an owl landed on a branch right above my head, that was pretty cool, he just sat there and stared at me. But, as long as I'm dressed warm enough, I could sit in the stand every day of the season I think. If it was me I would probably make the drive to go hunting, especially if its the last weekend of the season there. You'll never know till ya try. There aren't any places closer to hunt?

I had a chance at a pretty good buck this last week, but I couldn't tell exactly how big he was because he was standing in the first row of corn about 200 yards out, and I just couldn't make out what he had on top of his head for sure thanks to the corn, but when he ran off I got a pretty good look at him. I've been back every morning and evening waiting to see him again and it hasn't happened yet. But we've got a little over a week left still so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, & good luck to everyone this weekend.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

man I am wondering if I made a mistake letting a couple walk. Its like the action in the woods where I hunt just suddenly stopped and i mean stopped hard for the last week or so. I hope it picks back up for the second rut....
Old 11-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well rifle season has come and gone, man did the 2 weeks fly by. I passed on 2 small bucks so far, other than that it has been a terrible season so far, seeing very few does, and fewer bucks. Last years winter was hard on the heard and with all the wolves we have is really taking a toll on our deer population.

Starting this friday muzzle season starts so ill be out this weekend trying my luck again. good luck fellas!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

man I tell ya the woods are dead lately. I hope it picks up soon....
Old 12-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

come on guys anyone?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys,
sorry its been a while since I was on here. Our gun season ended here without me even firing a shot. I was hunting a real good buck all season, but there were too many people that knew about him. And most of them are the chase and harrass type of hunter, so I had a few days interupted and horsed up by them. But the good news is he made it through this year (I saw him last night while I was out bow hunting) So barring a run in with a vehicle or someone with a muzzleloader tag, he is going to be a brute next year. There were actually 3 other bucks running around with him last night and 2 of them were probably 120's-130's. The late harvests these last 2 years has done wonders for the deer around here. The younger bucks are making it through to mature into some nice bucks.

The season opens back up the 26th for antlerless deer so hopefully I can tag two does and get some meat for the freezer. Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Well I have not seen a buck in 3 weeks. I have been seeing a lot of does in the last week, but thats it. I hope to catch one slipping before the season ends on jan 1st. I am going to try and hunt everyday from now till the end of the season.

good luck to all, I hope everyone has a merry christmas!