Community
2009-2010 Deer Hunting Contest Good Luck to Everyone This Hunting Season!

#20 Team Area Codes

Old 10-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

looks like your going to have a fun season Pike, if you get out to hunt.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got about 17 acres of food plots planted Saturday. I got a picture of a buck I named stickers on the trail camera, but it looks like he is actually going downhill a little on his antler growth this year. I thought he was 4 1/2 last year and would be 5 1/2 this year and should be in the prime of antler growth, but he looks a little smaller than last year.

Here's a picture of him last year:

Of course I never saw him last year and doubt I will see him this year so it is kind of a moot point!

I can't remember if I mentioned it earlier but I may be getting to go Mule Deer hunting in Eastern New Mexico the 2nd week of November so that may give the team another opportunity. (Just thinking about the team here, I'm not excited about getting a crack at a nice mule deer buck!)

I struck out elk hunting this year but I don't think I could have gotten away with entering a bull elk into the contest anyway. My dink 5x5 that I shot last year scored 245".

Good luck everyone!

Last edited by npaden; 10-05-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

Nice deer Npaden, well smokepoles started this past saturday I went out opening day and seen nothing heard a couple of shots but not from me any who gonna go back in the morning and set the climber back up for an evening hunt tomorrow and the rest of the week. Mabey ill get to fire her off before gun season starts witch will be this next up coming Saturday with some championship weather gonna be 71 for the high and 51 for the low gonna be cool after being in the high 90s and low 100s this is gonna be a great opener
Old 10-22-2009, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

alright guys, modern hunting for us down south is right around the corner so in about 4 weeks a texas boy should be able to add some points to the list for our team. Anybody have any luck in muzzle loader this year?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Npaden awesome bucks!! How often do you have to fill your feeders and how many lb.s of feed do they hold? I started using homemade mechanical feeders this year and even though they draw in deer they make the most un natural noise I have ever heard in the woods while sitting in one of my stands over 200 yards away. Thanks, Pike
Old 10-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

hi guys- havnt posted in here in a while-we have a few weeks before our reg. season opens. Sounds as tho you guys got some good deer to go after this year.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Hey guys does this count? Ive got the pic of the deer, me and the weapon I took him with He brushed the truck then hit the front left corner of the 4wheeler trailer then the left fender also, it took off most of his right shoulder couldnt find it nowhere, hit him about 7:45 this evening major feeding time was at 8:00 so he was out at the right time just the wrong place. Wish I wouldnt of hit him he would have been a pretty good one next year for someone.
Attached Thumbnails #20 Team Area Codes-img_0781.jpg   #20 Team Area Codes-img_0782.jpg  
Old 10-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by J Pike
Npaden awesome bucks!! How often do you have to fill your feeders and how many lb.s of feed do they hold? I started using homemade mechanical feeders this year and even though they draw in deer they make the most un natural noise I have ever heard in the woods while sitting in one of my stands over 200 yards away. Thanks, Pike

good, its a unique sound. After a while, deer will recognize that sound with food. If there are other feeders in the area that all sound different from yours, even better.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The feeder in those pictures is a protein feeder. It's a demand feeder and the deer can eat from it 24/7/365 unless they empty it before I get back down to fill it. The peak usage is in late January to early March and then again in late May to mid July depending on rainfall. That feeder holds 350lbs of pellets and in peak periods they can eat that much in 3 weeks. Right now they are eating about 50lbs every couple months.

I do have a couple timed spin feeders and they do a lot better job of attracting pigs than deer. I run mine on a limited basis (i.e. very short spin time) all year long as well. I've never had the experience of a feeder going off and deer running up to it though.

I'm going scouting tomorrow on a friend's place in New Mexico who is going to be trading me a hog hunt here in Texas at my place for a mule deer hunt there on their place. The license is $275 so I'm scouting tomorrow to make sure there is a decent chance of a shooter buck before buying the license for next weekend.

They've shot some respectable deer there in the past though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Southernbuck, I don't think they will let us count that toward the team score. Hope your truck and trailer didn't get damaged too badly. It is a sad thing to take out a young buck like that with potential, but I'm sure it was unavoidable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.