Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Deer Hunting Contest
Team #6 Mourning Does Official Thread >

Team #6 Mourning Does Official Thread

Community
2009-2010 Deer Hunting Contest Good Luck to Everyone This Hunting Season!

Team #6 Mourning Does Official Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Well we got to our spot about 45 minutes before light and never saw a thing. Didn't help that the wind was blowing like crazy though. We waited it out for a few hours and with the wind not slowing down we decided to stalk through the woods. Between open fields and woods we covered a total of about 250 acres or so and never jumped a single deer! I can't figure out why we didn't scare up anything out there. The second 120 acres we went to was an old family farm that no one lives at or hunts for atleast 10-15 years. We didn't see anything there either but did find some of the best deer trails I've ever seen with tracks everywhere! If the weather permits I think we may spend alot of time at that spot this weekend. Hopefully you are are doing better than my first day.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Last day of 2009 hunt

Sorry guys but for what ever happenned, I;ve not been able to log onto the site for the last week. Well last weekend was our last weekend of hunting and was just overly tired from the week. Sat. was gusting like hell so nothing was moving at all. I was hoping to finish off but conditions would not allow it. So I had to head out Sunday morning and decided to head to the area where I shot the doe. Since I had pulled my stands from the area I was up way early so that I could get in and re-set. Put the stand up in the same tree from where I shot the doe from but after all the commotion of haulling the stand up the tree etc, and being still 20 min or so before could legally hunt, had a smoke and just watched the quiet of the bush. About 5 min after the start of legal hunting time I gave two low and long doe bleats followed by a single grunt. Less than 2 min later heard a twig snap and shortly after a mid sized buck walked onto the trail towards me. How I have this stand is that 45 degrees to the left there is a small clearing at about 200 yards that opens onto one of my 8 ft wide shooting lanes which comes directly to about 30 yards where it crosses directly infront of my stand (no bush cut here, designed so that I can lift the gun), then quarters away to the right at about 45 degrees on a very similar trail as the left. When sitting in the stand the look is very similar to what you see on the hunting shows. This shooting area is about 100 yards or so into the buch off an old logging road so that if you didn't know it existed, you'd never find it (on public land so careful where I place my stands). Well the buck came right down the trail, past the stand so I could lift the gun under cover and continued down the trail quartering away from me. It was so perfect, I wished I'd filmed it. At about 70 yards out, he stopped to check the air (turning alittle moew broadside), put the crosshairs just behind the front shoulder and then let the old 7mm mag do the rest. Went down like a brick. Little rack but I guess every inch helps our cause. If it was earlier in the season I most likely would have passed but being last day, I'll take what my god sents my way. I'll post the pick but have yet to try to score him. Hope all the rest of you continue to hunt safe and have the best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails Team #6 Mourning Does Official Thread-09-buck3.jpg  
Old 12-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

LIke you said, any little bit help. Plus you put meat in the freezer. Congrats on the deer! I'm gonna be heading back out this afternoon and hopefully I'll have some luck.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks and best of luck on your hunt. Hunt hard and hunt safe.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well a big goose egg for me guys this year gun hunting. Pretty bad year for me for gun hunting. Didn't see too many deer at all.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

Well we went out and seen one doe but I let my cousin shoot it. He started hunting 2 years ago and never had any luck so I've been trying to help him get his first deer. I told hime if we seen any does i would give him the first shot. So no deer for me but I was able to set Jeremy up with his first deer kill. We have 30 lbs of deer snack sticks on the smoker right now. We have through next Sunday to hunt here in KS and another doe only season in January. Be carefull everyone and good luck
Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default not sorry it's over

Though I wait for it all year and absolutely crave my time in the big woods I must admit I'm glad it's over. 3 deer this year (1-archery, doe and buck in rifle...and all on public land) so I've got the freeser full but with the temp. dropping here to -35 tonight I'm glad to be indoors. Funny, must be an age thing because the cold is just tingling my bones. We were very lucky here this year to have -12 the coldest temp during hunting season and that was just the last weekend. Wish all you guys luck that still have tags. Hunt safe, All my best.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any of you guys still hunting?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Well guys, sorry I haven't checked back in lately. Its been pretty hactic around here lately. Our main season is over now with no luck. I did shoot that 1 doe in the early season (October) but I don't have a picture so I guess it don't count. Good luck to any one who still has seasons open and upcoming!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Well all i came to report my big giant goose egg this year ...I had a bunch of great hunts but never was able to get a clean safe shot of on any deer.so i hope that next year will be a safe and sucessful hunt for all ty for letting me be part of a great team.