Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Deer Hunting Contest
Team #6 Mourning Does Official Thread >

Team #6 Mourning Does Official Thread

Community
2009-2010 Deer Hunting Contest Good Luck to Everyone This Hunting Season!

Team #6 Mourning Does Official Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too bad, Just a couple of questions before story time (if in person...we could go on for hours....according to my wife anyway). What type of rig are you using (scope/gun cal.)? As to your brother and the buck getting up; I've have twice seen a buck go down (before the shot) and crawl his way to safety. Something when I saw it the first time just couldn't believe it. I was walking a trail beside a wheat field and a big buck stood up about 50 yards from me. Even though I carefully raised the gun, suddenly he he just dropped. I kept the gun to my shoulder, scoping the field waiting for him to pop back up. About 30 min. later he did stand up but at the far end of the field (a good 500 yards). That was one smart buck. He crawled to safety through the wheat and there was no way my ML could reach out and touch him at that distance. 2nd; I once had a broadside shot at about 75 yd. with my old side lock ML. Just as I was shooting his head was turning to scratch his back with his antlers. When he got hit he went straight down. He was a very heavy 4 pt (easy 4-5 inches around at the base. With his head down we could only see one side of the rack. We stood there for at least ten min. just to settle down because he was such a big deer. Suddenly he just jumped up an ran. As he ran off we noticed that the side of the rack, we couldn't see when he was down, was only about a third there. All we could figure is when he turned his head to scratch, that side antler took the imact of the bullet and that he must have just been knocked out or something. I usually give the deer a poke when I come on it but in this case he went straight down and with all the excitement I didn't (very rookie mistake for not being a rookie at the time). So a couple of ideas why he went down and there was no blood. Better luck next time.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default here's the doe

here's the posted doeTeam #6 Mourning Does Official Thread-09deerdoe2.jpg
Old 11-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Spike

This is my second year with this gun. Indiana just allowed low cal. rifles and I switched from a shotgun to this. Its a Ruger model 77/44 bolt. Like I said 150yrd is my max distance with that gun, however this fall I switched to a heavier bullet. Last year I was shooting 180gr this year I went to a 200gr. At 150 yrd with the 180 I was getting about 6" of drop I only shot the 150 distance a couple time with the 200gr and felt the drop wasnt much different, but obviously I was wrong. To be honest I am not sure what scope I have. I'll take a look and let you know.

I have heard of the antler thing before and told him that too. I did not see any of it so I cannot comment on his shot placement, he did tell me his scope was fogged up some, normally he's a pretty dead on with his ML.

Nice looking doe.....I am heading out tomorrow morning in the rain. Did not go this morning as the winds are blowing pretty good and I want the property to settle down a bit.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Hi team checking in i finaly am settled in and up and running in my new place .
Mourning Doe sounds great to me.
I am working on changing the team thread to our team name but the comp is fighting me on dial up lol,may need mods help.
havent seen but 2 deer while out and no shots on either of them gl to all team members.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Spike

Glad to hear your all settled. Hopefully the action picks up for you. Its been real slow around here, but there is still tons of corn standing and I think most of the deer are in it and not moving during the day. Going back out tomorrow morning.....hopefully will have some good news.

scott
Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys. Nothing going on for me in the Wisconsin opener last weekend. Saw 3 bucks and one was decent and it was at last shooting light so I didn't shoot. I have vacation starting Wed - Sun and will be out all week day and night. I have 3 fields of standing corn around me and no one's been hunting out there all week and we have been leaving it for the week. Hopefully I can catch a bruiser feeding at night. Good luck to everyone else.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just checking in and seeing how everyone's hunts have been working out. All my best.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck everyone. Our season opens Tuesday, can't wait! You all have a good Thanksgiving out there!
Old 11-28-2009, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

Hey team. Well i haven't done to good so far, in fact i haven't really got out. The rut here does not start till January any way. hope all is well, back to work for me
Old 12-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Well fellas, season open up in the morning for us. Me and my cousin went out yesterday and made sure everything was ready, moved haybales out of fields that would possibly be in our way, etc.... We'll be heading out about 4:30-5:00 in the morning. Wish me luck, I can't wait!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.