Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team The Equine Exterminators Thread (7) >

Official Team The Equine Exterminators Thread (7)

2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team The Equine Exterminators Thread (7)

Old 10-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the buck. Now just get the pics and other neccessities posted as soon as you get back. Rememberm you bow and buck must be in the picture.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pics....

Guys/Gals...here's some pics of the buck I killed. Haven't submitted yet, still need to measure. Even for a 6pt, he has some mass and character...can you see the nubs on the mainframe where where droptines probably would have been next year? They're not big enough to score. You can see how wide he is though.
Attached Thumbnails Official Team The Equine Exterminators Thread (7)-dsc_0862.jpg   Official Team The Equine Exterminators Thread (7)-dsc_0865.jpg   Official Team The Equine Exterminators Thread (7)-dsc_0863.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Great Job! Love that dark rack. I'm guessing right under a 100 inches.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went out tonight this afternoon and still-hunted a draw. Saw a ton of deer, but none close enough to shoot. Snuck up on a cornfield this evening and got within 10 yards of a decent buck, but by the time I was able to draw, it was too dark to see my pins so I had to hold off. Had a blast sneaking up on deer tonight though. It's not something I do very often with my bow, but really had fun tonight after recently getting off my crutches due to a broken knee.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Got out Saturday morning. Saw lots of deer in the pre dawn crossing roads on my way to stand. It was nice and cold so I had high hopes getting to my stand. Daylight came at 720. At 740 I picked up a lone doe walking along a wood line about 300 yards away. She quickly disappeared from sight. At 745 a doe and fawn exited a the woods to my west and proceeded down the fence row towards my stand. At 758 my Hoyt Power Hawk delivered a Beeman Bowhunter tipped with a 3-Blade RAGE into the doe. Shot was a little far back as I clipped the back of the near side lung and completly lacerated the liver. She ran about 40 yards before expiring. Got my wife and oldest daughter in on the track job (not that I needed it since I saw her go down) so that the could enjoy the thrill of picking up (an obvious) blood trail and laying their eyes on the trophy once found. It was a good morning.

Anyhow this tree was the same tree I harvested my 125 class 10pt last year that spurred the purchase of my PowerHawk. Anyhow here is a pic of my 2009 doe.
Attached Thumbnails Official Team The Equine Exterminators Thread (7)-tdub.jpg  
Old 10-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

Well guys I had a pretty interesting hunt on Saturday evening. Started off by bumping about 7-8 doe while getting to my stand. I don't think they winded me but with it being so quiet in the woods they more than likely heard me. After watching a squirrel chisel away at a bone for 3 hours a doe comes from behind me and passes me before I could get ready. She jumps a fence and is ready to jump another fence to reach the neighbors property until I pull out "The Can" and hit it. I've read many times that "The Can" sounds more like a fawn getting pushed away from his mother more than an estrous doe and that is why bucks might be attracted to the sound. In fact, I've never heard an "estrous" doe bleat. Anyway, I hit the can and the doe turns and looks. She stares down in my direction and after a minute or two would forage and then think about jumping that fence. Everytime she turned away I hit the can. I did this four times and on the fourth time she comes back my direction.

As she is coming back, I look to my right and 5 doe are staring my direction as well. I'm not sure if I called them in too or just coincidence. A button buck presents himself at 25 yards and is staring at the doe coming from my left. As the doe passes by a small shrub I pull back and hold. She makes her way to the button buck and stares him down directly in front of my stand. She is slightly quartering towards me but I pick my spot behind the shoulder and release. Simultaneously as I release the trigger the doe lunges at the button buck. The rage pierces back and the doe runs hunched over into the woods.

I wait 30 minutes and find my arrow covered in a fatty whitish color. I feared the worse and decided to wait her out til morning and drive the 90 minutes back home. I instantly get online to read about other hunters guts shots and their outcomes. Most weren't positive with many saying they never found their deer.

Morning comes and I drive back to the farm and quietly try to pick up the trail. I lucked out and found blood along a well used trail where I saw her head into the brush. After winding around a creek bed and through some thick brush I found my doe approximately 100 yards from my stand. She smelled like hell and the shot was a confirmed gut shot that exited her back leg. The rage broadhead did the job. In my ten years of bowhunting I had never gut shot a deer before. I was extremely proud to have found her. She'll be some excellent sausage. Sorry for the bad pics but I was tired and the temps were in the 70's. Had to hurry to get her cut up.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the doe...nice follow up!!!

I posted my entry for the team. I came up with a score of 102 1/8. I've never scored antlers before, but I followed 2 tutorials and believe I did it correctly. Seems high for a six pointer, but he is wide and has good mass. Tomorrow, I'm going out with my son for a doe (or two)....we'll see.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

UFUNNY great job. I guessed him right under 100" so I'm sure your measurements were correct. I haven't seen a buck besides to yearly spikes this year. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. I'm heading out this weekend to try my luck again on a different farm. Good Luck team.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

My son killed a 5 pt this morning. He hunted property he's never scouted except at about 11:00 last night. He and his brother went into a bean field with flashlights, found a good trail leading into, then found a tree to set up in. He went back before daylight and made his shot within 15 minutes after legal light. He's trying to keep up with the old man. So far we both have 1 doe and 1 buck. I'm proud of him though. Actually, it was tough following his blood trails with nothing at the end of them. The doe he shot dropped in its tracks (I saw the shot) and the buck was a double lung which he heard crash about 50 yards away. He's making the best of this season, last year he was deployed (Navy) and missed the entire season.

Went out this evening and passed on a button buck, had him at 15 yards for a good 10 minutes.

Keep getting out there...and good luck all.

Last edited by UFunny2; 10-20-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Been 6 days since we had a reply. Thought I'd check in. Have not gotten out since I got the doe. Processor got my meat back in record time. Grilled the tenderloins up. Awsome as usual. Still got a few packs of burger and steaks from last year that I need to use up before we start in on this years harvest.

Daughter has had temp all weekend. No hunting for dad. Been busy at work gearing up for a big project that is going off on the 27th. Will be free this weekend. Scheduled Vacation for November 6th-11th. This was based on 20 years of research (not mine) that showed strong correlation to buck harvests/sightings/activity in the 7-10 days following threee days after the 2nd full moon after fall equinox. That moon happens on the 2nd of November for those that care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.