Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team The Equine Exterminators Thread (7) >

Official Team The Equine Exterminators Thread (7)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team The Equine Exterminators Thread (7)

Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Spike

Lots of spikes here in michigan. Loving the winter wheat i planted but loving acorns just as much. I'll be on a killing spree this weekend with any luck. Good luck to y'all
Old 10-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

I went out opening day and was sitting in a tree thicket by a pon, and i had no stand or blind but i was completely concealed and about an hour before dark i hear a crunch and in my peripheral vision i see antlers. My heart starts racing as the buck walks by me no further than 2.5 ft. He went up a ways but i could never draw on him and i had a questionable shooting lane he was in. Although i was really bummed it was an awesome hunt and a big adrenaline rush to be that close to a deer without him noticing me.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by teedub31
Well team, I made it back from W Virginia. I survived the Gauley again (took a swim at Initiation and Sweets Falls for those that are familiar). Sadly, a fellow Hoosier lost his life in the Lost Paddle rapid. Happened about 1/2 hour after we went through.

Anyhow got in the stands Sunday (10/4) AM and PM. Nothing at all.

Work had me tied up on Mon and Tues, but was able to get in the stand last night. About an 1hr in, I see a doe walking up the dry creek bed. I get ready as I had decided to take the first adult doe I saw. As she is approaching, I can tell she is watching something behind me. I hear rustling. Undure if it is squirrles or what as I can't see behind me. The a little BB walks into the dry bed and starts drinking. he is about 15 yards. Oddly this guy had enormous buttons sticking of his head about 1" and were half dollar sized and still in velvet. I know he was a BB as he was with mama and she dwarfed him. Just never seen a BB quite like him. Anyway the original doe is still about 40 yards away. The BB and other doe are just under my stand. The BB is oblivious to me. The doe doe does the whole head bob for a minute or two but soon ignores me and proceeds on down the trail. 20 yards 1/4 away head down BB and other doe are now acknowlewding each other. All systems ago. Draw back place 20 yard pin on the rib cage and squeeze my release. The whole woods sounded like it exploded. Not sure what all transpired but does and BB tear off through the thicket. I see the arrow stuck in the ground directly behind where I shot . All 3 deer calmed down about 60 yards away regroup and took off together. I relax for a few minutes trying to replay the situation. I can clearly seen my white flecthings with no sign of blood. I am think I shoot over her. Get down and check my arrow, Clean. then I notice some brown hair in the O ring of the Rage as well as just a little flesh. But nothing on the shaft or fletchings. I am gonna go get some help at this point now that I know I "hit" her. I follow the trail she took as it leads to my truck. about 70 yards down the trail I cut some blood. Dark Red. Not a lot just drops. Get my helper (wife) and we procede on the trail. We follow a sporadic blood trail another 200 yards untill it finally peters out. Blood trial was not much more them thumbsize drops the whole time every 4-5 yards. We tracked her across 2 fences that she crossed with ease and up a hill to the road. At the road we found nothing. At this point we pretty much gave up and reserved the hit to a high back flesh wound seeing as how the arrow shaft and fletchings had know signs of blood flesh or fur, Just one blade on the Rage.

Anyhow I am bummed. Been hunting for 25+ years, but just my second withh a bow. I have never hit a deer that I did not recover. This is my first. Granted I think the hit was non-lethal and she will be fine unless an infection sets in, but am still feeling like crap today.

Sorry guys!
I'm feeling your pain. The other night I was hunting and I had a lot of deer activity. Was walking to my stand and saw 4 does right by my stand when I walked in. As I'm waiting for them to leave, I notice movement between me and the does...There on the edge of the beans, about 150 yards, a little spike pops out. UGH.....I'm thinking how in the world am I ever going to get to my stand! Eventually the does wander off into the woods and the little buck follows shortly after. I book it to my stand and get set up. Here comes that little buck back out milling around right in front of me. Soon, here come some does. They walk up from behind me, around some brush to my left and down the bean edge. I range her, 20 yards, pick up my bow as I'm gonna shoot her. Draw back, release, nothing....doe jumps off a few yards and looks around and goes right to eating. Shot right over her back! Damn it! I'm thinking ok....one will come back by, it's still early. About 10 minutes later, some more does come down the same trail around the same brush and down the bean edge with that same little buck. I think to myself....I'm gonna get another chance to get a doe. Range her again, even though she is standing in the same spot as the first one. 20 yards. Let that arrow fly, doe startles and jumps off about 6 yards and stands there looking into the woods. Damn it! Shoot right below her! Must have over compensated for missing high the first time! UGH! So, both does that I shot at are now feeding in the beans in front of me. Alive. Only thing I can figure is that nerves caused me to miss high, and then I overcorrected and missed low. I was so mad....who misses 2 does at 20 yards within 10 mins of each other???? Me...that's who.

We went out again last night. Same little spike buck came up from the creek to my right. Bedded about 30 yards behind me and hung out there for about 30 mins then got up and walked East. Last I saw of anything last night.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kshunterchick
I'm feeling your pain. The other night I was hunting and I had a lot of deer activity. Was walking to my stand and saw 4 does right by my stand when I walked in. As I'm waiting for them to leave, I notice movement between me and the does...There on the edge of the beans, about 150 yards, a little spike pops out. UGH.....I'm thinking how in the world am I ever going to get to my stand! Eventually the does wander off into the woods and the little buck follows shortly after. I book it to my stand and get set up. Here comes that little buck back out milling around right in front of me. Soon, here come some does. They walk up from behind me, around some brush to my left and down the bean edge. I range her, 20 yards, pick up my bow as I'm gonna shoot her. Draw back, release, nothing....doe jumps off a few yards and looks around and goes right to eating. Shot right over her back! Damn it! I'm thinking ok....one will come back by, it's still early. About 10 minutes later, some more does come down the same trail around the same brush and down the bean edge with that same little buck. I think to myself....I'm gonna get another chance to get a doe. Range her again, even though she is standing in the same spot as the first one. 20 yards. Let that arrow fly, doe startles and jumps off about 6 yards and stands there looking into the woods. Damn it! Shoot right below her! Must have over compensated for missing high the first time! UGH! So, both does that I shot at are now feeding in the beans in front of me. Alive. Only thing I can figure is that nerves caused me to miss high, and then I overcorrected and missed low. I was so mad....who misses 2 does at 20 yards within 10 mins of each other???? Me...that's who.

We went out again last night. Same little spike buck came up from the creek to my right. Bedded about 30 yards behind me and hung out there for about 30 mins then got up and walked East. Last I saw of anything last night.
Ouch....
Old 10-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

It happens to us all. That's hunting. Learn from your experience and get back at. I went out this weekend and had 2 yearling bucks at 20 yards. Monday morning had two does sneak up on me down wind and blow at 10 am. They, of course, came where I thought they wouldn't. Happens to me alot it seems. I don't planon hunting again until Oct 30th. Letting the woods calm down.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Score!!

Hey guys/gals...I'm borrowing someones laptop at the campground I'm camped at to let you know that I killed a buck Monday evening. Nice 6pt with a 19.5 inch spread. Haven't scored it yet but the biologist where I checked in measured one of the mainbeams at 17.5 inches. He also said he was a 3.5 year old. If he were a year older, he may have had two droptines. Has nubs on both mainbeams where they would grow. When I get back home, I'll go through the formalities of measuring and posting the pic. That should be Sunday.

I set up my lone wolf hang on in a sawtooth oak at about 2:00. Those oaks usually drop first and the deer eat the acorns like a Hoover vacuuming up jelly beans. At around 3:30 I had a button buck wonder right below me for a good half hour, then he wondered off. Then through the leaves I see big antlers lowering and raising, then dissapear, then reappear, then dissapear... This went on for about a half hour. That was at approx 40 yards, never had a shot. Finally, he reappeared and was heading straight to my tree. When I shot he was 8 ft from my tree. I aimed just behind the top of the shoulder and released. He jumped and with seconds I heard him crash...actually, I think the entire county heard him crash...lol. My arrow was laying on the ground right where I shot him, with blood all over. I didn't bother looking for a blood trail, just went to the "crash site". I didn't realize he was a six pt untill I got to him, but the width...wow. From my tree to where he lay was less than 50 yards. Hope there's not a time limit for posting the score, but, I'm still in deer camp.

Haven't seen a thing in the morning hunts, but plenty of deer in the evenings. Lots of button bucks, very few does and a nice 5 pt yesterday evening.

I haven't checked all the post to see if anyone else scored...congrats if you have...keep trying if you haven't

Good luck all....
Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by UFunny2
Hey guys/gals...I'm borrowing someones laptop at the campground I'm camped at to let you know that I killed a buck Monday evening. Nice 6pt with a 19.5 inch spread. Haven't scored it yet but the biologist where I checked in measured one of the mainbeams at 17.5 inches. He also said he was a 3.5 year old. If he were a year older, he may have had two droptines. Has nubs on both mainbeams where they would grow. When I get back home, I'll go through the formalities of measuring and posting the pic. That should be Sunday.

I set up my lone wolf hang on in a sawtooth oak at about 2:00. Those oaks usually drop first and the deer eat the acorns like a Hoover vacuuming up jelly beans. At around 3:30 I had a button buck wonder right below me for a good half hour, then he wondered off. Then through the leaves I see big antlers lowering and raising, then dissapear, then reappear, then dissapear... This went on for about a half hour. That was at approx 40 yards, never had a shot. Finally, he reappeared and was heading straight to my tree. When I shot he was 8 ft from my tree. I aimed just behind the top of the shoulder and released. He jumped and with seconds I heard him crash...actually, I think the entire county heard him crash...lol. My arrow was laying on the ground right where I shot him, with blood all over. I didn't bother looking for a blood trail, just went to the "crash site". I didn't realize he was a six pt untill I got to him, but the width...wow. From my tree to where he lay was less than 50 yards. Hope there's not a time limit for posting the score, but, I'm still in deer camp.

Haven't seen a thing in the morning hunts, but plenty of deer in the evenings. Lots of button bucks, very few does and a nice 5 pt yesterday evening.

I haven't checked all the post to see if anyone else scored...congrats if you have...keep trying if you haven't

Good luck all....
Congrats! Make sure you get pics for us! Way to help out the team. I'll try to get out there but I think I'll be waiting until October 30th. Congrats!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats UFunny2 way to put us on the board.I let a 10 point walk Sat. afternoon with only one buck in indiana and the fact that my urban spot was a bust i have to be selective.I had a really nice long tine 8 come in Sunday evening to the watering hole just no shot.He was the biggest 8 i have seen in a long time.Last night i had a buck come in i have seen 3 years in a row on public land,i don't know how he keeps making it, he is not very smart,maybe next year if he is still around i will take him.I just enjoy seeing him every year that is something being it is public ground.Good luck to all.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UFunny2

Good luck all....
Congrats!! We're on the board!!

Can't wait to see the pictures
Old 10-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Spike

Congrats UFunny2! Way to get us on the boards! Can't wait to see the pics.

I'm still on the hunt for mine Only get to hunt on weekends as I don't get home early enough to get out in the evenings. Hope to have one on the ground soon though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.