Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Dead Bucks Walking (16) >

Official Team Dead Bucks Walking (16)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Dead Bucks Walking (16)

Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

I live in Louisa County and hunt there, Orange, and Madison. Our kill permit is in Albemarle.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Cory congrats on you Doe's!! They been putting the slip on me! NICE pictures KS. I know if that one Buck came in range he would be shot with my bow.

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-07-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

cory,
What kind of situations are you finding are giving you the most success at getting permissions? Farms? Small plots? Older People? Rural vs Suburban? I'm looking to get permission on the east side of the mountains and I'll be blind calling on people with no real connections over there. I often use tax maps to get contact info and size of property, but that's usually here where I already have seen the property and know I'd like to get permission for. I need to find a place that we can hunt after our two week season is over. My place is a ghost town after that. I'm going to try Amherst and Bedford counties, but I'm not holding my breath for Bedford - too popular.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Tal, here is a good one when asking permission that a old Amish Farmer told me. Wear a hat when you go to ask permission, Just before you talk to the person take off your hat. Old school Farmers eat it up! It works, not all the time but it will sometimes! It has worked for me. Good Luck!!

Hatchet jack
Old 10-08-2009, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a good one hatchet! Went out last night saw 7 doe and 1 buck. The buck was nice in the 120's but he was running cuz some buddy's dog kicked him up. Will be back out Saturday morning and good luck to everyone else!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Talondale,
I usually start by finding a property that I would be interested in hunting. Then I look at the online GIS/property maps to see owner info and property size. I wear a shirt and tie for work so I am usually dressed nicely when I approach a house to try and get permission. I try to get permission in March/April/May/June so I'm not just another hunter trying to get permission at the very last minute. I ask if it's okay to leave a business card with contact info if there is any hesitation in there answer and alot of times I'll get a call back. Sometimes if I don't hear anything within a month I'll follow up depending on how the initial contact went.

With the exception of the kill permit, all of my properties that I hunt are rural. Everyone tries to hunt on farms, thats probably the most common place to try and get permission. I do hunt a couple farms, but recently I've gotten access to some properties with just a run of the mill house sitting on a decent chunk of land that I discovered on the tax maps. A big thing for me is being able to say that I hunt on a neighbors property. If their neighbor lets you hunt then you must be okay. That's how I got access to the 3 adjacent properties that total a little over 400 acres.

Where are you located?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm down near Roanoke. Considered west of the Blue Ridge which means short season and 1 deer per day.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be heading up to the Big woods of PA this weekend to do some Duck and Deer Hunting. Saturday will be Ducks and Monday I'm going to hunt the Delaware State Forest where I grunted in a solid 125ish 10pt two years ago. I grunted at him and he ran right under my stand! NO SHOT!!! That Buck still haunts me to this day. Maybe he's still walking around dem hills! Check back in on Tuesday, Good Luck and be safe this weekend Boy's!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good hunting HJ. I'm going to a wedding this weekend. The small comfort my injury brings me is I don't feel so bad going to the wedding now since I'm out of commission anyway. Things are healing quickly and I'm walking without a crutch now, just the leg brace. Still get a twinge of pain every now and then when I move it wrong but I may be able to hobble enough for a hunt next weekend.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

It will be good to give your ankle a week of rest. I will not be able to hunt since I have class all weekend. We are suppose to have a chance of snow flurries all day saturday. Our highs this weekend will not make it out of the 40's, it would have been perfect. Then to top it off i got pictures of this guy. The picture is not great. I think that i have a picture of him from last year. But all i know is I would be honored to shoot this deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.