Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Buck Wild Thread (11) >

Official Team Buck Wild Thread (11)

2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Buck Wild Thread (11)

Old 09-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello fellas, Sorry it took so long to stop in. I am from southern michigan. I have been in this contest for several years. One yr team XX or 20 took the championship..... hope all is going well...
Old 09-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of area are you guys hunting? I have one piece of property left. I have been hunting it for 6-7 yrs now. At one time it was close to 200 acres, swamp, hardwoods, and grass fields. two yrs ago the "dad" died that owned the property and little by little it has been sold off. I now hunt 42 acres It is corn and close to the center of the piece of land there is a 3/4 acre wood that is normally filled with rub activity. I have shot a 10-8 and spike from that woods, but it is all I have left.... With the corn, I have found if I am running late in the AM, I am pushing every deer on the property out of the woods.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by AR 34 eight point
What kind of area are you guys hunting? I have one piece of property left. I have been hunting it for 6-7 yrs now. At one time it was close to 200 acres, swamp, hardwoods, and grass fields. two yrs ago the "dad" died that owned the property and little by little it has been sold off. I now hunt 42 acres It is corn and close to the center of the piece of land there is a 3/4 acre wood that is normally filled with rub activity. I have shot a 10-8 and spike from that woods, but it is all I have left.... With the corn, I have found if I am running late in the AM, I am pushing every deer on the property out of the woods.

im hunting up in Glennie MI in the Huron National Forest, basically all hardwoods and pines with a swamp or two thrown in.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

hardwoods, meadows, pines, crop ground pretty much everything
Old 09-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Spike

I hunt a semi public parcel that is 500 acres of ag, pasture and oak woods. Managed for 130+ but young bucks get taken every year on adjacent land. I also hunt 67 acres of woods and pasture nearly by myself as no one else seems to have interest in it.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Spike

I hunt a very small tract of private land in north carolina, 33 acres. It is bordered on 2 sides by neighborhoods (rural neighborhoods), one side by a creek and 10 acres of private on the other and one side by a semi busy road. It is 100% woods with some undergrowth. 1/2 is pine forest and the other half is hardwoods. I have persimmons and acorns on the property and you can use bait (corn) here so I do. I moved here a year ago from Missouri and will be leaving the area before next season so I am willing to shoot younger bucks later in the season as I won't benefit from giving them the 'extra year'.

I have had a rough couple of weeks in the woods thus far. I wounded a doe (hit her a little far back) and never found her. I asked the adjacent land owner if I could look for her. I shot her in the morning and it was gonna get hot so she didn't lay very long before I pursued her.

I shot a nice 6 point (wide and long tines and nice brows, had a huge body on him, horrible genetics from what it looked like) last saturday. I hit him good on a 15 yard shot (quartering away) and took out at least one lung and likely liver. Hit him w/ about 35-40 minutes before dark. I pursued immediately as he passed onto the same neighboring property. Had lung blood everywhere but pushed him too hard and ultimately ended up loosing him.

Now you are probably wondering why I pushed this second deer. Well, I am working a very delicate situation. In the neighborhood, there are a few anti's who pretty much hate me and the fact that I am hunting in 'their' woods and killing 'their' deer. The have called the police on me and left pissed off notes on my vehicle. I have permission here and have spoken with the cops about the residents. They used to use the land at their will because the landowner wasn't there to kick them off and now that I am here, they can't trespass anymore. Sorry, had to rant here.

Another reason was the temps, they were not dropping below 68 all night. The adjacent neighbor is not an anti, but his wife is and their house is very close to my property and where the deer ran. Thus I didn't want to have to use a light in the woods outside their window. It was also supposed to rain overnight. Anyway, I decided the best chance of recovery and being able to use the meat was to go after the deer soon after the shot.

Needless to say, I have been beating myself up and second guessing my decisions all week. Have had trouble getting back in the woods until it gets a little cooler. I have also moved my stand away from the neighbors property so the deer wont make it there after they are hit.

Ugh, sorry this update is so long, I have just been a little frustrated this past week and a half.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have a tough area to hunt with the neighborhoods near... good luck
Old 09-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grneyemonstr
im hunting up in Glennie MI in the Huron National Forest, basically all hardwoods and pines with a swamp or two thrown in.
I grew up in Oscoda..
Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm back from Colorado, I've been eating elk and now I'm ready to cut into some big buck action!

Looks like "Buck Wild" it is! NCBloodtrailer why don't you go ahead and change the thread to team Buck Wild. NC Sorry about the tough luck so far, if a guy pursues bowhunting long enough one is bound to run into an undesireable situation, but as you know things can change in a milli-second...keep at it my friend.

Welcome AR34 eight point, glad to have you aboard. I remember you from that winning team several years ago. You will be a great addition to team Buck Wild!

Even with the busy schedule I managed to get up two tree stands yesterday (only about twenty plus more to go).

Got to run guys, much to do before darkness comes this evening...

...Let's get Busy!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Antler Eater pretty sad that I only live about 3 miles from ya and only communicate with you through huntingnet. Anyway I have a buck report for ya, the other morning when I was leaving for work there was five bucks just north of my house and three of them were really nice ones and I mean NICE. One would easily collapse the 170" mark, I hope that you have a encounter with him in the Nest, I would really like to see that bruiser posted on here... Anyway good luck this season hope you enjoy yer elk meat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.