Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team November New Moon Thread (9) >

Official Team November New Moon Thread (9)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team November New Moon Thread (9)

Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Spike

Well guys sorry I havent posted in a while. I have been busy with School and hunting in between. I missed a nice 7 point about 2 weeks ago. I had a clear shot but it was a long shot and I didnt have my range finder with me. Arrow went right under him. I have been so frustrated the past few weeks however. One of the properties I hunt belongs to our pastor's inlaws, and they gave about 5 people permission to hunt and for the most part there is very little pressure because we all have to drive an hour to get there. However one of the gentleman is a consultant and has lots of time to hunt. He has pretty much taken over down there dumping corn, buck jam, acorn rage, and stuff everywhere which has screwed up the patterns and habits. He has killed 2 does down there and up until last week had killed a 5 point and a 6 point which puts him at the limit on antlered deer for the area of the state this place is in. Well last week he was hunting a shot a huge 14pt that will score at least 170. I have a huge problem with this because I follow the rules and expect the people I hunt with to do the same and everyone does except this guy. I am certainly not mad about him shooting the possible state record but he has shot plenty of big deer in his time and he had no business shooting the 5 of 6 point and then shooting a third buck.

To make matters worse a close friend of mine, my brother, and myself were hunting down there saturday and he was as well. He knew we were there because I borrowed his extra muzzleloader for the afternoon. We all agreed that since there were guns in the field we would stay in the stand until after dark so as to keep safe and to not ruin anyone elses hunt. Well what does he do he never got in the stand. He walked around in the woods and drove his gator around for 2 hours(until 5 minutes before sunset) looking for a doe that his son missed earlier in the day that even if he had hit it would have been bad by then anyway. He pushed every deer out of the property and we didnt see a thing all night however we did hear at least 5 shots on the adjacent properties. This really pissed me off and I have lost all respect for him as a hunter and a friend. I can deal with the occasional issue but such a disregard for other people and the rules is just ridiculous.

If anyone has any tips on what to do about this I would love to hear them.
Sorry for the long rant.

Scott
Old 11-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about your season so fasr Scott. First of all, turn him in for that buck, regardless of size, it is over the limit. As for the other rude behavior, not much you can do other than talk to the guy and let him know you are upset and to be more considerate of the others that are out there. Do you have anywhere else you can hunt?
Old 11-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Spike

I do have another place to hunt just not many options there. I have some trail cam pics of a good size buck(pic attached time is actually 5:12 because I forgot to change the time) but There is only about 2 acres of woods and then 15 acres of winter wheat. the biggest problem is that the property is adjacent to land that the town owns and they have some nature trails cut through thier stuff. Unfortunately most of the deer I see there are about 70 yards and are on the towns land. And the other place I have is 3 hours from the house and challenging in itself because I dont get to scout very often down there.

The only iffy part of turning him in is that I go to church with him as well. I go to church with everyone that I hunt with so it makes it kind of touchy. He paid the lease on another piece of property that is about 3 1/2 hours away that he has given me permission to hunt on as well its just hard to get down there and I am to the point I dont want to hunt with him at all now. Hopefully I will have some luck later this week when the nasty rain and wind stop and I can get back out. Good luck out there guys be safe!

Scott

Old 11-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely a tough predicament you are in Scott. Here in IL, the woods have been DEAD around me (in terms of other people around) but now that gun season is coming and its amateur hour around me, there are 4-wheelers all over, new tracks on all the ground around me, and that gets me honked off. But, I'll live, and I just have to sit back once in a while and remind myself that its hunting, something I love to do, and shouldn't cause me this much stress. Much easier said than done, but sometimes its necessary to put it into perspective.

Sat this morning until about 11. Saw one small 8 that chased does around me for about an hour, put on a real good show for me, but no big boys came to investigate. The 8 was really non-vocal, only grunted 3 times in that whole hour while bumping those does. Not sure what his deal was, but I could have used more cooperation from him in the call department. I'll hunt Fri, Sat, and Sun and then that's it for 3 weeks. Hopefully good things happen this weekend. Good luck guys!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Barring some kind of post-gun season miracle, my bow season is pretty much done now. Hunted HARD this past weekend, saw one shooter on Saturday at high noon, but he only came to about 45 yards. Sat evening I was at full draw on an 8, but let him go past unharmed. He was the last deer I saw that night. Sunday morning, the same 8 came back through, and miraculously he had grown during the night, which is rare this time of year. So, full draw again. He comes in right under my stand, i'm looking at him through the platform. He mills around a while, sniffs some stuff, walks out to about 8 yards, perfect broadside shot, and I let down. Just not what I was looking for. Cool encounters, but I wouldn't have been happy with that buck. He's not real bright, so during gun I don't think he stands a chance. Maybe he'll break a leg and have to lay down for the whole season. Sunday was ridiculous with the rain, just a miserable nasty day out there. anyone else do any good?
Old 11-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Figured I would give an update. This past Wed I took the day off because the weather finally dropped here in South East KS but just for a few days. I sat from 5:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. and seen 14 deer, no shooters. Had 5 very small bucks walk by and could have made shots on alll of them. The does just wouldn't get close enough. This was my first all day sit and for 6 hours straight I didn't see a thing. That was rough. Like I said before, last year I had pictures of 3-140" bucks and shot a 120". I just don't know what has happened this year. I've seen lots of bucks but not a one worth shooting. I'm hoping to take a doe for some meat but as time keeps passing one of these small ones might not get a free pass. Good luck you guys, seems we all need it.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys! Pretty quiet around here these days. Killed a few does during gun season, our group got three big bucks, but none by me unfortunately. Haven't picked up the bow in a few weeks now, been goose hunting more than anything. Killed three specks this past weekend, which was a very pleasant surprise. Probably get out again with the bow if we get a decent day and the spirit moves me. But, if the geese are flying, I think I know where i'll be. Anyone else doing anything good?