Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Death From Above Thread (4) >

Official Team Death From Above Thread (4)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Death From Above Thread (4)

Old 10-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Spent past 4 nights in box blinds overlooking food plots. Covered up with deer each night(lots of little bucks), but no shooters in range.

Just a matter of time-

It will be two weeks before I can get out again. Good luck all!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I got out this morning and saw 4 does but none of them were close enough to shoot. Then I had a little fun. I moved that one stand and I barley had to cut anything. The big oak had a lot of natural holes in it and I am so covered up I don't see how anything could see me up there. I think I will hunt up in there Wednesday evening. Tomorrow morning I will be going over to my other spot.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

went to yet another new spot this evening...

a real small piece of woods the deer are traveling through to hit the corn fields...kinda really close to a road...but its not a super busy road and the deer live there and arent bothered by it im sure...

promising looking spot...till about 6ish i hear a quad...ok i should be ok hes far off...WRONG...he came rippen up and down the hillside and within 30yds of me..with 4 bird dogs running infront of him...tore away..then up and back around.."ahh its a littttle early maybe i'll catch one crossing the road.." WRONG! he came back around for a 2nd tour....i wasnt very happy..i got down a little before dark and left...

got ANOTHER new cornfield to sit on tomorrow evening...years past my buddy has done VERY well from the spot im going to..atleast sees deer regularly from it..in range or a shooter is a different question..but he sees deer regularly...he moved away and its only good when its corn..this is one of them years...(think it might be the last or 1 more year of it before its rotated..) so we'll try that...im SURE they will come work on the oil wells tomorrow right before dark or something...(theres oil wells REAL close..) which is another good thing..somehow salt water drains from the wells..its a natural salt lick...the deer are crazy about it..so we'll see...thats where im planning on tomorrow evening..

i got no desire to get outta bed until i find a spot worthy of hunting..im just not seeing sign or deer to get excited about right now...i know its early and its a tough time of year...i know that...happens every year here..especially with no acorns this year...
Old 10-14-2009, 03:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Went out lastnight got in the stand at about 415 or so, no longer did I get my bow up, nocked and arrow, take my quiver off and hang it, sit down and I hear crunch crunch crunch crunch...I look behind and me here comes a deer, it comes a little closer and I see its a spike, possible 3 pointer. He came out along the edge of the woods and started scraping, pretty heavilly too I might add. He worked that scrape for a good 10 minutes or so. Then he preceeded to come right out infront of me. I had no intentions to shoot him. He milled around between me and the cornfield wich is only about 10 - 15 yards from my stand. He went into the cornfield and came back out and walked back to his scrape and back into the woods for about 15 minutes just standing there eating acorns. He went back out to the field edge and hit the scrape again and then disapeared into the corn. About 30 minutes he came out on the north side of the cornfield and started heading East towards another cornfield. I turned around because I thought I heard another one coming in, damned tree rats....lol....I turned to see where the little guy was, and poof he was gone. All in the matter of about 5 seconds....I nicked named this guy Stealth, he was gone before you knew he was there. I looked towards the other cornfield about 200 yards east of me and see some movement. I pulled out the binocs and sure as hell, its him. He covered alot of ground in just a matter of a few seconds....I wonder if something didnt spook him and he darted off. That was the only deer I saw lastnight. Man I hate mid October.....Oh well...I wont be hunting tonight, have the last few finishing touches out at the cabin to work on before our halloween party out there and I really want to be in the woods that week. I know the last week in October should be pretty hot. And I dont want to be doing anything else but hunting that week. Things should be picking up here real soon.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Haven't been able to get out since the weekend. Hopefully I can sit a couple hours this evening. Chance of flurries tonight and tomorrow morning.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got out this morning and seen at least 7 does. I think there may have been a couple more but I'm not sure.None of these were quite close enough to shoot. I seen 1 buck and 6 or 7 other does as I was driving in. Then when I was walking to my stand I seen at least 4 but I couldn't tell what they were. If the rain holds off this evening I will be sitting in that stand I moved. Could be an interesting evening.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

annnnnnnnnnd another fruitless sit over another pretty secluded corn field...

talked to a buddy after i got out of the woods and his brother was walking his pup in the field on the other side of the ditch and said there was a truck parked there so i had another hunter within 200yds of me...wind was good for me...terrible for him...not to mention where he went in is where the deer lay....

pretty frustrated...thats 5 sits...0 deer...3 hunts screwed up by hunters for sure...1 screwed up by a yahoo on a quad...1 i didnt see no deer but who knows...could been messed up by some yahoo as well...

sad thing is small game season and fall turkey season isnt in yet....last year i had serious issues once those seasons started...

im thinking my only hope is my buddies camp...im planning to go up next week mid week and put in a good couple days..only problem is it looks like its gunna warm back up next week...but thats a minor inconvinence IMO..shouldnt be SUPER warm..but 60 or so...

we'll see...this stuff around here is frustrating the heck outta me...im really beginning to wonder why i waste the time...
Old 10-15-2009, 02:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Didnt get all the work at the cabin completed but its getting close to being done. Going out there tonight for our antlerless gun hunt if the weather is decent. Probably wont see anything with this weather but who knows. Ive been known to take numerous deer on crappy days lol.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

This weather is really sucking bad. Looks like I won't be getting out until at least Saturday or maybe Sunday.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went out yesterday evening and had a pretty good night. It was slow for the first hour and pretty chilly and wet. Half hour before last light A forky came over the top of the field and feed towards my stand. 10mins. before dark the forky got a little nervous and started looking down the field to my right. I nice 8pt was feeding in the field in our direction. I've got a couple pics of this deer and he is not really what I'mm looking for. He feed by at 5yds and continued his way down the edge of the field. I think he needs another year or two to get to full potential. He has a huge body, but only scores around 125"-130". I'm thinking he was born early and is between 2-1/2 - 3 yr old. I've attached a couple pics of him below...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.