Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team X Factor Thread (10) >

Official Team X Factor Thread (10)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team X Factor Thread (10)

Old 11-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang Ed...sorry to hear about that. Stinks for sure. Good luck to you and Andy....I'm hoping you guys put one on the board. I'll be out a couple mornings later this week. I sure hope it picks up around here....it has to eventually! My buddy killed a slammer on Sat with the M/L...probably 125" 9pt. He lives about 10mins away....a huge deer for this area for sure. It was a beauty! He did see 3 bucks that morning...a good sign. I was gonna take my son out Sat morning for M/L....but his BB coach called and they had practice at 7am!!! grrrr

I told his coach today...if you guys have practice next weekend, he ain't gonna be there. I'm taking him out, he's bugging the heck out of me...he's got the itch.

Crenth, good job on the doe....and good luck William, I hope you get on a nice one!

Last edited by WV Hunter; 11-09-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

I didn't see anything yesterday afternoon. I had plans to hunt with Ed on my farm for an all day hunt tomorrow, Friday - but a major rain & wind storm has us postponing the trip to next week. As soon as the storm lifts, I'll be out again.

Nice doe Crenth!

-fsh
Old 11-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup. I'm bummed bout not making it down this week andy! I will be out tomorrow eve and I think its gonna be good. I have a spot in some dense pines that is great when it rains. I just checked cam and have a new 8pt maybe a shooter? He looks bout 18 in wide... not sure though.. didn't have any great shots of it. Hoping the weather holds off long enough for a hunt!
Old 11-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Made it out tonight. .. saw few does and that new 8 pt. Its only bout15" wide so he definitely needs another year. Depending on weather I may go out tomorrow. .
Old 11-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made it out tonight too...got blanked again!! Uggghhh!
Man, I don't know what is going on here. I've never had as many sits where I didn't see anything as this year. Doesn't make any sense to me, worst year for sightings in 10yrs I've lived here. Gonna go out tomorrow also, we'll see. I did see my first scrape tonight, so that was a tiny positive. Good luck guys.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

Well i have returned to Pa in one piece, but with NO ANTLERS. as of my my up date from the tree. As my other post says it was slow for me, but it has been that way all year for me. However on the last mouring i was up in my tree stand early waiting for day light to come. i still had about 20 minutes until it was light enough to shoot. When I heard a buck grunt up on the hill and then the chasing headed my way. The Doe ran by under my stand about 5 / 7 yards away. She was a good size Doe. The Buck came right by the same spot. All i could see was body shape. He was SO much larger than the Doe. I couldn't see any antlers but he was a big bodied DEER.
I could see and hear that he was slaming his hoof's down on the ground as he was chasing her.

Thursday (11/12) i had a 9 PT come to 12 yards and i could have pulled the trigger and given us approx. 110 to 115 pts but we had a 120 minimium.

Now i will be among the Orange Army. I will attempt to save at least 2 out of 3 tags for second archery season 12/26/09 to Jan 9th 2010.

Close but no cigar
Old 11-17-2009, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys, I don't think the rut exists in my area. LOL
And I have no idea what happened to the deer.

I went out Friday evening, saw one doe with a fawn in 3 hrs...then took my son out for the rifle opener on Sat to one of our best gun stands. We sat almost 5 hrs, didn't see or even hear a deer. (leaves were crunchy) I was proud of him for sticking it out, but the last 90 mins or so he was hating life...especially with hearing the guns continue to bang. LOL

I have no clue what is going on here. Typically in that spot I'll see 10-20 deer on opening day, and several bucks at least. There was shooting all around, we just got blanked. I even had the perfect wind the entire time...which is rare here.

My wife asked me last night did I want to hunt today....she would drive the kids to school. I told her no, I would take them in. VERY frustrated. All the folks I've talked to aren't seeing any rutting action either as of yet. I moved a stand on Sunday...and checked the one area they usually scrape and found 3 total, so something is going on a little anyhow. I just can't imagine its that late...and it still doesn't explain the lack of sightings overall. I'm not overhunting, I'm rotating stands, and hunting mostly when the wind is good. Some of my spots the deer come from everywhere, so wind is kinda moot.

I'm not giving up....but boy is it tough when I've only seen deer 2 out of my last 10 sits. Sorry for the whining guys...just had to vent. I'll be heading to my WV property next week for opening week of gun, I know it will be fun and we'll see lots of deer. Maybe the hunting here will pick up and be better later this year. I'm still determined to get one...I'll probably head out a day or two this week if I can.

Good luck guys, hope its going better where you are!

Mike
Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, tough luck out there huh?? I hunted all weekend and just started to see good rut activity on Sat. I had one of the 10pts chasing a doe around me, but he never came w/in range, I also had about a 110" 8pt w/in range when the hot doe came around, but I didnt take the shot, he needs another year. I know the rut is kicking in around here, my mom called and said she had a huge buck chasing a doe in their yard on sunday! Figures you can't hunt on sunday in MD...

Anyway, I'll be down at Andy's place on friday for a full day hunt, fingers crossed the weather co-operates, we cancelled last week's hunt due to the tropical storm. Looks like mid 50's and partly cloudy - my favorite weather to hunt Then Sat I'll hunt all day at home, it will be my last hurrah... After that I might go out just one more time w/ the bow before gun season starts... then I hang up the bow for a few weeks. I like to stay out of my hot spot during gun season cause the deer use it as a sancturary. I've had good luck late season when the weather turns cold and food dwindles. I'll hunt w/ a gun on the family farm cause its a big tradition for us on opening day, then I'll bow hunt during gun season off and on...
Old 11-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

I am back from my trip to Illinois and I regretfully say that I did not fill my tag. I saw some good bucks but none in range. I saw more bucks in that week of hunting than I have seen home in the last 10 years. It was absolutely amazing, watching a 200 inch typical chasing a doe and then an hour later having a 150 9 point come in and chase a doe, just couldn't get them in bow range.Back to the grind here, I am still on vacation the rest of the week and wednesday next week for the rest of the week then i am done.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Good efforts guys, thanks for the updates.

After seeing loads of rut activity since my last post, (9 bucks while hunting all day last Sat), I've drawn a blank on my last two outings. I'll be hunting a good portion of tomorrow, then have all-dayers scheduled Friday (w/Ed) and Saturday.

-fsh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.