Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team X Factor Thread (10) >

Official Team X Factor Thread (10)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team X Factor Thread (10)

Old 10-15-2009, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey WV I'll be in central VA, Buckingham county, calling for rain, but I'll be out there anyway. From what I'm hearing the bears have almost cleaned out our corn field, I'm hoping I get there before its all gone!

Congrats on the Yotes FSH! I've never seen any on my side of the bay yet, but I've heard them while hunting... Maybe I should bring my predator gear down and we'll go out at night and hunt em! Talk about a blast! Night hunting for predators is awesome.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the yotes fsh! I've killed a few, but none with a bow. Never had one close enough with the bow. I've also never seen them come in as a pack, only solo's. That is cool, good shooting!

Ed, good luck on your hunt...its raining pretty good here where I am in VA now, gonna be an ugly day for sure. Buckingham is a few hours south of me, I am up in the very top county - Frederick, right near WV.

Speaking of bears, I talked to my neighbor last night...he shot a bear two saturdays ago with a xbow down through the shoulders - and lost it. He said it was the only shot he had...so he had to take it. grrr
Said it was 300+. I told him you HAVE to make sure you take a GOOD shot on any animal with a bow, qtring away or broadside. He admitted he was so excited and thought the bear was gonna leave, so he just shot. First year out with a bow of any type. I was wondering what size bear was around, there were two piles of dung within 10yds of my opening day stand. He did say he has 4 different ones on his game camera, and one was real big. I guess I'll keep my eyes out for buzzards.

Good luck guys

Mike
Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MATHEWS PA BOWHUNTER
How many doe tags do you get or can you get.
Chris
Chris
I can take 48 does if I hunt all seaons and the lands where deer do not count against my State tags... Makes you think there is a deer population problem in MD, lol.
----------------------------
Mike
"He said it was the only shot he had...so he had to take it. grrr" I've done volunteer tracking and it pisses me off to hear that too... my usual retort is "you had no shot".

Ed
The yotes are still rare in this area, so it's probably not a worthwhile pursuit. My bowhunting partner has tried electronic calling at night in the northern part of my County for a yote that showed up on a trail cam, no joy.

-fsh
Old 10-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like the weather might hold off for me!!! Now calling for just cloudy tomorrow and partly sunny on sat, both days in the mid 50's. Now I'm extra excited!!!

Tomorrow AM I'm going in my fav. deer tree on the property, on the top of a High ridge (~350') that is pretty steep, so the deer skirt around the top going from food to bedding areas. this is where I killed my buck last year. Then I'll hunt the edge of the corn fields to try for a bear... I'll keep you posted!

FSH - I'll call you on sat about sunday...
Old 10-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My neighbor called me tonight and told me he shot ANOTHER bear tonight, at 5pm in the rain. Said he "hit it good", and it ran up on my property. He said he looked a little, but couldn't really find good blood because of the rain (grrrr) and would I help him in the morning. I said I would. Same stand, 2 bears in a week and a half. wow

He's a mid 40's rookie bowhunter. I'll try my best to educate him some more tomorrow. At least he said he waited for a broadside shot this time, and said it was right behind the shoulder so I am hoping we'll find it. Keep ya posted. Its still raining pretty good here, so I doubt there will be much blood if any. Glad its raining though, we need it bad. He did tell me another guy ripped him one for shooting the other bear where he did, so that makes 2 veteran bowhunters telling him the same thing. I told him to aim for the exit hole, and quartering away or broadside only. Glad to hear he waited this time.

The worst thing about this neighbor I fear....is he's gonna be hunting all the time now. He got "retired" by the sherrif's dept due to injury about 3 mos ago, and is on disability now. He's a good guy and we get along well, but I couldn't believe he was out there hunting in that rain. He's liable to be out there every day which might REALLY screw up my hunting.

Mike
Old 10-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

GRRRRR!

Man am I pissed right now. My neighbor did NOT call me this morning, he just went out and tromped all over my property all by himself and didn't find the bear. Instead of calling me and having a game plan to search, he just did big circles over basically my entire property looking. Since there was no blood because of the rain, he had no idea which way it went - so he just looked everywhere.

Oh, but on the bright side....he did tell me he jumped 2 decent bucks out of the thicket behind my house --- the one I haven't stepped one foot in since February.

I'm at a loss for words right now.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Well guys it has been awhile since I have been on. I have been out hunting a few times I have not had any shots at does yet still waiting for one to give me a good shot. I was out last night and didn't see much but I had a good 10 point at 30 yards and couldn't get a shot. It was a good one I would say 140 or better man I wanted him bad. I hope I can get back out after him soon.

fsh congrats on the yotes I had 2 come through the other day but they were just a little to far for a shot. Congrats on the doe as well.

WV sounds like you are not having any fun right now with your nieghbor hang in their things will get better I hope.

Ed good luck on the bear and deer hunting keep us posted.

I hope everyone else is having fun out hunting and good luck to all and be safe.

William
Old 10-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, I am better now. Sorry about that earlier, man was I mad.

So I grabbed my little dog and my wife, and we went out to take a look around. He told me it layed down near a log, and he jumped it up...but there was still blood there. I knew basically where it was and had just started looking for the blood spot, and he came along through the woods. He had his house dog, which then distracted my dog. It was comical, neither of them could have cared less about anything at that point. Needless to say, they just wanted to play. I told my wife to go back and get our lab mix, she has a really good nose and seems to find ANYTHING dead and bring it home to show us.

My neighbor and I looked around for a while while she went back, and then when they came back she had the dog on the leash. My dog only wanted to lick me, she was so happy to see me. LOL, she could have cared less about the blood that I was putting right in her face. I said, this ain't working...and took her off the leash. She circled around about 20yds, then stopped and put her nose in the air. Immediately she went forward to a brush pile and then her hair stood up on her back, and she jumped back a bit. I thought...there it is. I went over and looked in the pile, and sure enough it was piled up inside. At first I couldn't even see it, had to look hard. My neighbor was jacked. We drug it out of the treetop, and brush. He made a perfect shot, if he wouldn't have jumped it...it would have been dead right where it layed down. It only went about 100yds total, maybe 70yds to where it layed down the first time. I'm not a good judge of bears, but I guess its about 150-200lbs live weight, a female. Glad we found it, and he was VERY happy. My dog gets a treat

Here are the pics of it. Still not happy about him tromping my whole place, but oh well. The deer will be back most likely. Maybe I'll hunt tomorrow evening.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

AT LEAST YOU FOUND THE BEAR!!!!!!!!!!

Now to get your neighbor to relax also so the Deer will relax.
Good Luck with that Mike

Ed good luck with the Bear and Deer hunting!!!!!

William stick to it that 140 is still around / lets see a pic of him on the ground with sitting behind him!!!!!!! let the air out of him!!!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

i took my son out with me tonight, he wanted to see DAD smoke a DEER with his Bow. So it didn't matter what came in i was going to shot a deer a legal Buck or any Doe. However he only lasted 1 1/2 hours. He got cold. so we left at 535pm. We didn't see anything but we left with an hour and 1/2. left.

The Temp was 39 Degrees. We had snow this mourning about an inch, but when i woke and wanted to go out the snow was gone!!!!!!!!!! i'm working midnighters 11pm to 7 am.
i couldn't make myself go out in am i had to go to sleep, i should have gone with the snow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.