Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team X Factor Thread (10) >

Official Team X Factor Thread (10)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team X Factor Thread (10)

Old 09-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Good to hear you guys are getting out.

Nada for me the past two days - save pushing out a few deer when I went in yesterday early morning.

I prep'd a few mock scrapes in a thicket - I plan to transplant some soil and licking branches from scrapes on another farm just to up the ante .

-fsh
Old 09-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey fsh.....how do you transplant a licking branch? And have you had success with that tactic? Does it **** em off or what?

I haven't seen much sign yet here, which is typical. I usually don't see alot of rubs and scrapes till mid Oct. Gonna go hang a stand tomorrow I hope if it doesn't rain.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

I have made mock scrapes for years. I have never taken a buck off one, but I do get lots of pics so it's one way to find out who's in the 'hood. This guy was a regular visitor last year; "my" scrape was expanded from 3' to 6' in dia, so it's probably pissing someone off, lol:

I plan to cut the overhanging limb off a scrape, transport it in a plastic bag, and use plastic ties to lash it to a new limb. Keeping foreign scent contamination under control is critical.

-fsh

Last edited by fshafly2; 09-22-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome photo Andy, I haven't made a mock scrape in a while, but I think I'm going to this year, I always forget how great of a tool it is to find bucks, when do you typically start one?

Can't wait till this weekend guys, I'll be out all day sat, weather should be perfect early season... high of 68

Makin a nice batch of jerky now for some coworkers and this weekend!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Ed
I have a few "scrapes" that I maintain all year around. Although deer may not be scraping, they will sometimes use the overhead licking branch off-season. Otherwise, you can start a new scrape anytime after the bucks lose their velvet.

Good luck Saturday, I'll be out there too.

-fsh
Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

fsh....what scent (if any) do you use in your mock scrapes? I've always wanted to do it....I think its a GREAT idea. Never thought about transplanting a licking branch though....food for though for sure.

Good luck guys!

Mike
Old 09-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Mike
You do not need any scent to get a mock scrape started and I usually don't use any. (added in edit: I sometimes use frozen tarsal glands for scent - a local butcher will let me collect several dozens from his refridgerated storage). Just expose the soil underneath an appropriate limb. I am going add "foreign" scrape soil, licking branch, and perhaps the shavings off a (big) rub (when available) to get "interest up" in the three scrapes I made - all in a thicket where this nice buck has been known to pass thru.

-fsh

Last edited by fshafly2; 09-26-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey guys, made it out this evening, got a little wet but saw a few does and one small buck...

Wont be out until friday, unless i can sneak out of work early one day.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

I sat in a ground blind for about 3 hours this afternoon before the rain got too heavy. Saw a small 8'er and 5'er. I was close to nailing a doe yesterday; she must have heard my heart pounding as she reversed course just 20 yds away...

-fsh
Old 09-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Typical Buck

WAS OUT SPOTLIGHTING DEER tonight saw over 100 deer in an hour and a half. Saw roughly 40ish bucks and over 60 does.

Several good bucks, even saw a 8 point limping and a much larger buck behind him a little ways.

Alot of momma and her 2 fawns. couple of triplets

was a good night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.