HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest-104/)
-   -   Official Team BowBums Thread (2) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest/300936-official-team-bowbums-thread-2-a.html)

sandilands 08-18-2009 05:44 PM

Official Team BowBums Thread (2)

Welcome to this yrs HNI Deer hunting contest. Here is our team
Official Team 2

356 cptleo1
98 Schultzy

137 BowHunter46
17 Sandilands
271 yatesm
140 John Deer
5 BTBowhunter
248 goherd1111
185 NavyDeerHunter
69 danscott

Our best chance to get up there in the scores is team participation. Lets start by introducing ourselves here.

I am Sandilands, I live in MB Canada. For the last few yrs I have hunted strictly with a archery gear. I hunt good land, that is archery only for bucks. Last yr I had plenty of opportunities at some big boys but couldn't get them in as close as I wanted. I tagged a 100" buck that was best to date with archery gear. This yr I am planning on beating my last. I hunt for myself first and foremost.

Lets get together and have fun this yr.

goherd1111 08-18-2009 07:12 PM

Hey guys, my name is Chris. I live in West Central IL and this is my 4th season participating in this contest. I have scored a 130" buck 2 out of the last three seasons and hope to add to that this year. I look forward to meeting all of you. Talk to you guys soon.

danscott 08-19-2009 03:39 AM

Hi guys. My name is Dan. I've recently picked up a lease in Pike County IL and am looking forward to adding to the team total. My last two years I've had to hunt a fence line that did not produce a thing to shoot at. Very happy to get into Pike County this year even if it's about a 3.5 hr drive one way.

danscott 08-19-2009 06:58 AM

Chris- I'm not too far west of you. Have you used any meat processors in that area?

BTBowhunter 08-19-2009 10:48 AM

Hey guys! Good to meet ya! My name is Bob. This'll be my 40th year bowhunting. My best buck is 152" and I've got a pretty good string of P&Y class bucks. Some from PA and some from Il.
I live and hunt in Western PA and also have a pretty good lease in Brown County Illinois about 3 miles north of Pike and less than a mile from Adams County. I'll be there for several weeks in the bow season.

It's not too early to start talking about a team name and captain but we should be sure that everyone has had a chance to check in before we choose either.

BTBowhunter 08-19-2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by danscott (Post 3412469)
Chris- I'm not too far west of you. Have you used any meat processors in that area?

What part of Pike are you in Dan? There is a processor in Clayton named John Pendleton just North of Pike and the family we rent our lodge from in Brown near Mount Sterling also does deer too.

I've heard that there's a pretty nasty place in Barry you'd want to avoidbut I'm not sure of the name

If you're in Southern Pike, Bob's market in Pleasant hill does em and there's a place in Nebo as well but I'd have to make a call to get their name.

sandilands 08-19-2009 07:05 PM

Good to have you all aboard. I'm about to send Schultzy an e-mail to get his butt on here so we can get everyone signed in. The key is team participation, if you know anyone that hasn't signed in then send them an e-mail or a PM.

:cool2:

danscott 08-20-2009 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter (Post 3412799)
What part of Pike are you in Dan? There is a processor in Clayton named John Pendleton just North of Pike and the family we rent our lodge from in Brown near Mount Sterling also does deer too.

I've heard that there's a pretty nasty place in Barry you'd want to avoidbut I'm not sure of the name

If you're in Southern Pike, Bob's market in Pleasant hill does em and there's a place in Nebo as well but I'd have to make a call to get their name.

Thanks much. I'm a few miles north of Barry, but I will now avoid anything near there.

BowHunter46 08-20-2009 06:20 AM

Hey Guys! My name is Jim and I'm from south western PA. This will be my fifth year bowhunting and so far Im two for four in getting a buck in the archery season. PA's season starts October 10th I believe and I've already got my eye on a nice buck (my nemesis from last year).

I look forward to getting to know you guys and from the looks of things, we should have a pretty good team!

Schultzy 08-20-2009 06:48 AM

Checking In!!

sandilands 08-20-2009 07:44 AM

And I was going to send you an e-mail Schultzy. Glad to have you aboard.

cptleo1 08-20-2009 10:08 AM

I have been planting food plots in Alabama - no Internet or cell service.

Looks like a good team.

Been doing the bow thing for 40+ years and can hold my own.

A name, I don't know.

I guess someone has to start:

Rib Splitters

Kind of lame, but you have to start some where.

Lets have some fun !

danscott 08-20-2009 12:37 PM

Ok, here goes and I'm terrible at this. Team 2- Rack Jacked. Team 2 - CACs- cool as cucumbers, Team 2- Buck Adrenaline. Ok, I'll stop!

John Deer 08-21-2009 12:45 PM

Hello everyone. My name is Chris and I'll be hunting NE Oklahoma. I've been bow hunting for 20 years now and have taken many deer with my bow. I killed a buck that scored just shy of 130" last season and have pics of some that are bigger still running around the property. It looks like we have a good team and I'm looking forward to this season and this years contest!

BTBowhunter 08-22-2009 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by BowHunter46 (Post 3413822)
Hey Guys! My name is Jim and I'm from south western PA. This will be my fifth year bowhunting and so far Im two for four in getting a buck in the archery season. PA's season starts October 10th I believe and I've already got my eye on a nice buck (my nemesis from last year).

I look forward to getting to know you guys and from the looks of things, we should have a pretty good team!

Hey Jim! Where are you in SW PA? I'm near Apollo. PA archery starts
Oct 3:wave:

BTBowhunter 08-22-2009 07:03 PM

Was out planting some fall food plots on our place in Brown county Il
and boy did we see some bucks! Sunday night we had 18 bucks in one field. Two of em were 150 class and one was an OMG genuine booner that I'd guess to be around 180-185. There were a couple 130 class as well. ALL IN THE SAME ALFALFA FIELD TOGETHER! Can't wait for the season!

OK here goes with a few team name ideas......

Silent but deadly (my team name two years ago)
Silent Assasins
Bowbums (kinda my favorite so far)

BTBowhunter 08-23-2009 11:40 AM

I sent Navydeerhunter a PM and bowhunter46 is checked in but the members list shows no yatesman. There is a Yatesm so I'm PM'ing Rob to clarify.

Any other name ideas guys?

BTBowhunter 08-23-2009 11:44 AM

Found him!!!!

Our other member is Yatesm not Yatesman. I've PM'ed him and will tell Rob about the misspelling.

Bob

danscott 08-24-2009 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter (Post 3416946)
Found him!!!!

Our other member is Yatesm not Yatesman. I've PM'ed him and will tell Rob about the misspelling.

Bob

Good we are getting to full strength. So far I'm good with the Bowbums for a name. And Bob if you want to be our capt, I'm good with that too.

BowHunter46 08-24-2009 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Hey Jim! Where are you in SW PA? I'm near Apollo. PA archery starts
Oct 3:wave:

Wow! looks like I need to pull out my book! Thanks for the correction, I can cross a week of my countdown:s2:!

Your actually very close, I live just outside of Freeport. I recently was in Apollo to pick up some arrows from Schultz's (I think that was the place but I'm not completely sure).

As far as a team name... bowbums gets my vote!

BowHunter46 08-25-2009 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hey by the way, I just got this picture off my trail camera and am wondering if any of you would be able to clear it up for me. It was taken with a Wildview Extreme 4 and this is pretty typical of the quality of many of the photos. Most of the deer I have pictures of have been does or fawns, but this one is definitely a nice buck.
I can put at least three points on his right side, but in order for him to be legal in this part of PA, I'd need to put just one more point on him.
I'll try to post the picture on here but I can't seem to get the image any larger. I could send it through e-mail if needed if someone is able to increase the size.

NavyDeerHunter 08-25-2009 01:13 PM

Checking in. Glad to be part of the team.

danscott 08-26-2009 06:02 AM

So are we all checked in? We need a name, which bowbums seems to be the fav at the moment, and a team capt. Any thoughts? I voted for Bob.

cptleo1 08-26-2009 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by danscott (Post 3420180)
So are we all checked in? We need a name, which bowbums seems to be the fav at the moment, and a team capt. Any thoughts? I voted for Bob.

Lets make it official

NavyDeerHunter 08-26-2009 02:57 PM

Stamp of approval from me.

BTBowhunter 08-26-2009 03:25 PM

Thanks guys. I vote bowbums too. As for captain, I'm truly honored by the support but would rather wait till everyone weighs in. I'll be glad to handle it but I was a captain last year and would gladly step aside if anyone wants to be a captain this season. I also will be absent for several weeks in November while I'm at my Illinois location trying to whack some big points for the team. A good friend who lives near there kept me and my team up to speed last year. His name is LLBUX.

BTBowhunter 08-26-2009 03:34 PM

OK we have 5 votes for bowbums. 1 more makes it official.

Everyone is checked in except Yatesm.
I PMed him three days ago and will ask Rob how long we should wait. I'd hate to bypass a guy just cause he's on vacation or sick or something.

Does anyone have any talent for creating an avatar? I can imagine that some funny stuff could be done with the name bowbums!

goherd1111 08-26-2009 06:36 PM

Bowbums is good with me, that's six votes, it should be official.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. I probably won't be posting as much as years past, I have a new baby that's taking up alot of my free time. However, I will still be out in the field 3 or 4 times a week trying to help out our team. Talk to you guys soon. By the way my vote for captain also goes to Bob.

BTBowhunter 08-27-2009 04:34 AM

OK, it sounds like it's BowBums!

Congrats on the new future hunting buddy Chris!!
I'll be just out of Mount Sterling Il for 3 1/2 weeks. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet. My lease is right between Siloam Springs main park and the Buckhorn Unit.

Jim, Freeport is real close to me. I'm actually a bit off Rt 66 between Apollo and Delmont. Lots of good bucks around here for those of us willing to work at it! I tried to blow up your pic but lost the detail so can't tell if he's got tha 4th point but based on the main beam size, I'd say your odds are fairly good that he's legal. BTW the store in Apollo is Schultz's and they are great folks. Knowledgable, fair and a well stocked archery shop.

Hows everyones scouting going?

Anyone know Yatesm or how we can get him to sign on and check in?

Sandilands, your PM box is full. Could you add our name to the official thread title?

How about this for wording on our avatar?

BOWBUMS............ will hunt for food!

Schultzy 08-27-2009 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter (Post 3421430)
BTW the store in Apollo is Schultz's and they are great folks. Knowledgable, fair and a well stocked archery shop.

The last name says It all, they must be good people!!!:s4:

Whatever you guys want for a name, I'm game. Avatar wise, I can't make them things either.

Scouting wise, haven't done much. I was planning on doing some early season mature buck hunting but that's not working out as planned. Been busy with getting ready for bear season In Mn, opens next Tuesday. I've also been working a ton too so no time Is getting spent glassing and doing look outs so far this summer. The way It's looking I won't be hitting the woods till mid October when the pre rut starts heating up.

Good luck to all, shoot straight!!!

John Deer 08-27-2009 10:14 AM

Another vote for BowBums. As for scouting, I've got my camera out and plan on checking it this weekend. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post.

BTBowhunter 08-27-2009 01:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a few trailcams that'll get ya going!

BowHunter46 08-27-2009 05:21 PM

Well guys I nearly had a horrible occurence this past weekend. I had recently gotten the serving on my buss cable restrung when I noticed it had come loose. I also had gotten some new silencers put on, so when I came home, I wanted to give them a try.
I fired six shots out of the bow and was impressed by how much quieter it was. But after the seventh shot, I looked down to check the cerving around the cable.
I couldn't believe it. Two threads from the cable had broken. I feel pretty lucky that I noticed it when I did and it didn't snap on me. That could have been catastrophic.
I took it back it the next day to have a new buss cable put on it. I should be getting a call this weekend or early next week to go pick it up. I guess i'm also lucky that this didn't happen the day before the opener.

Bob, those are some nice bucks! I would assume those are from illinois? I know PA has some big deer, but that one in the first picture is monstrous!

cptleo1 08-27-2009 08:07 PM

A new spot in Ohio that i got invited to hunt on.

Cute little fellows.

Yes , there are bigger ones there also.

More pics to come.

BTBowhunter 08-28-2009 03:52 AM

Yep! Those are all Illinois. Actually they're all the same trailcam!

That sparse vegetation around them was a soybean plot!

(We replanted in mid August)

sandilands 08-29-2009 05:07 AM

I haven't been able to do much as far as scouting is concerned either. I hunt just outside the city of Winnipeg and share the land with a friend. He has gone out and sat in the evenings a few times and seen some nice deer. Including 2 that will go over 150. I'm excited to say the least. Crops are good for my location this yr too. I have beans in the land I'm on and corn in the field across from me. Another spot I go has wheat so it will be an early season spot.
Opening day for me is this coming monday..... BUT I won't be able to go out. I'm in moving phase right now. I'll try and get out whenI can but won't make anyt promises. I have the first week of november off to sit in stand during the pre rut so will put alot of stock in that.

goherd1111 08-30-2009 10:15 AM

Guys I PM'd rob to let him know that we decided on BowBums as our team name.

danscott 08-31-2009 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by goherd1111 (Post 3424419)
Guys I PM'd rob to let him know that we decided on BowBums as our team name.

So is Bob our Capt? Are we all checked in? Going out to my lease this weekend to put up a couple of stands. Looking forward to it.

BTBowhunter 08-31-2009 12:38 PM

All checked in except for Yatesm. I PM'ed him but he hasn't responded yet. Rob will be assigning alternates in about a week as soon as he returns from a pronghorn hunt. Hopefully Yatesm will check in but if not, we'll pick up another member from the alternates.

goherd1111 08-31-2009 04:33 PM

Yep, I believe Bob should be our captain. Bob if you would like go ahead and let the authorities know.

I finally made it out to place a few trailcams yesterday. I will keep you guys posted of any bruisers I may catch on film. Talk at you soon. Here are a few that I hope are still around from last year.