Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team BowBums Thread (2) >

Official Team BowBums Thread (2)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team BowBums Thread (2)

Old 10-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Had a great evening hunt tonight!! I sat on the stand that I wounded the big boy from, 2nd sit of the year on this stand. So far It's proved nothing but good results. Saw 3 different bucks and 9 doe's and fawns. 2 of the bucks were 1.5 year olds, both were chasing doe's constantly the last 1.5 hours tonight. Right as I was going to get down I heard a grunt and and some thrashing going on south of me 40 yards or so. I'm guessing he was either making a scrape or making a rub or both. He came by me at about 18 yards. I could see the body just fine but the rack was tougher to make out. I know he wasn't the same buck I wounded, he wasn't wide enough and not quite as tall. He had some decent length from the looks of It, probably a 130" or so buck and I'm thinking he's a 3.5 year old going by the size of his body. He's an above average 3.5 for my area, most 3.5's here go 120" give or take. Not sure If It was even legal shooting time, I elected not to shoot being I wasn't 100% positive on his size of rack. His body was easy to see though, I easily could've shot. I have a mock scrape set up here where I'm hunting with a camera aimed at It, the SOB took the trail where the last doe had walked otherwise he would've walked right In front of the camera. He missed the camera by about 10 feet. Would've been neat to show you guys the buck, oh well I guess.

Their starting to chase everyone, It's almost here!!
Old 11-01-2009, 03:43 AM
Typical Buck

I bring you greetings from your leader BTbowhunter. He is on his IL lease for a few weeks and has no computer access.

I hunted with him on Sat the 31st and had a great night. 4 bucks(3 were shooters) and a doe kept me entertained. The bucks were scraping hard and on the move. All four bucks were inside 40 yards so my heart was pumping.

He has 4 other PA guys in camp this week. Two saw 150 class bucks on Sat. Just a little too far out for a shot.

Bob killed a doe and is on the trail of a couple good bucks. Just a matter of time before he closes the deal.

I'm on Team 4 and will keep you guys updated.

Good luck all and hunt safe!

LLBUX
Old 11-01-2009, 05:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the update, sounds promising!! Congrats on the doe BTbowhunter!!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Okay guys, sorry for the wait but i've finally got some time to write the story. Rewind to the evening of monday, october 12. As usual, I came home from school, grabbed my bow, and headed into the woods across from my home. I crept along the edge of the property, down over the hill and posted by my usual tree which overlooks a natural funnel between two fields. The evening started out as it had several times before- no deer. But then at 6:00, a doe and two fawns entered the cornfield. At 6:30, I looked to my right; a nice buck was heading my way. I drew my bow as he stepped through the fence, but he started trotting and I couldn't get a shot as he entered my first shooting lane. Fortunatly though, he stopped at ~ 23 yards quartering away in my second lane. I settled my pin, squeezed the release, and watched as the arrow zipped right past his left shoulder. The buck jumped and took a couple of bounds forward, but didn't seem to be too spooked. I'm not sure what happned with the shot. I may have flinched, or he possibly took a lucky step just before I released. Either way, I missed the deer.
But I knew that he probably had no clue what just happned, and I knew he didn't wind me, so I figured he would be back.
And boy was I right. The next morning I went back to the same tree. At 7:30 I heard a twig snap to my left. I looked over and saw the buck, 15 yards away, with only a small sapling between me and him. It didn't take long before he noticed something was wrong, and I didn't dare move a muscle. He turned and started heading down the hill away from me, entered the cornfield and entered the woods on the adjacent property.
I hunted the property wednesday evening and saw the buck I recently missed as well as another buck about the same size and a smaller 4 or 6 point chasing a doe. They were chasing that doe through the fields, into the woods, back into the fields, etc, etc, but somehow they managed to stay out of bow range (and I didn't have a grunt call).
But I would finally get a second chance on Friday evening even with the drizzeling rain. In fact, it was almost an exact replay of what happned monday evening. I posted at the same tree at 4:30 and I didn't see any deer until 6:30. I looked to my right and saw that same buck comming in the same way through the funnel. Did you ever miss a deer and think "Man, if I could just press rewind and take that shot again, I wouldn't screw it up"? Thats pretty much what happned. He put his head down to crawl through the fence, and I drew my bow. He slowly walked down the short trail into my shooting lane; slow enough that I didn't even bother to try to stop him. I squeezed my release and thought my arrow hit him way back and above the spine. He jumped up and bounded off, but stopped 30 yards away. I couldn't see him clearly as he was standing in some thick brush. He stood there for a few seconds before trying to take a step forward. But his front legs gave out and he fell to the ground. Aside from a few last kicks, he remained still.
I couldn't believe what I had just seen. I thought for sure I had made a poor shot, and thought that I possibly hit the kidneys. I watched him lay motionless for a few minutes, then nocked another arrow and slowly headed in his direction.
It was a great feeling walking up on this buck after having such bad luck on this property the past couple of years. I was actually surprised to see that my arrow hit almost right where I was aiming. What had hit him high in the back was just some blood.
The arrow passed clean through him, taking out at least one lung and slicing through the liver (I actually have a picture of the liver with the slice where the broadhead went through).

The 2 1/2 hour drag over the hill back to the house was definitely worth it.

I've been out often since I shot the buck. I've been seeing a lot of bucks chasing does and even had another nice 8 point come under my stand a few nights ago. Turkey season just came in this past Saturday and I've been seeing a few flocks runnin around. I'll be trying to get one with a bow this year.

Also, congrats on the doe Bob!

Last edited by BowHunter46; 11-01-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulation's BH46!! Lets see some pics of this guy!! Great story as well!
Old 11-03-2009, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

Well guys the big one i bumperd early in the season came back only problem was i wasnt the guy who was in the stand when he came back! My cusion inlaw arrowed him at 30 yrds and found him piled up 30 yrds away he dressed out at 225lbs and we rough scored him at 127"! As soon as i was the deer when i showed up to help him drag it out of the woods i knew it was him made me kinda sick but thats hunting just goes to show you really have to capitalize when you are given a half ass chance lol I asked him how it all went down and he said that he was chasen does and grunting like crazy acting like a fool at 4:45 and just happend to stop 30 yrds away broad side kinda makes you sick when you hear he didnt even have to try to get him in and i tried everything o well lol alread found a new deer to target good luck to all
Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

Well guys, back to Pike this weekend. Hopefully some of the corn is gone. Hunting fri-sun and the weather looks great. Hopefully will be back with good news.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ten Point Down for da Bow Bums

Great hunt this morning. Went to a new stand sight that I scouted last week in the rain and saw lots of good sign. It's a long way back in the woods and about half way up a ridge that leads to an uncut corn field so I waited until I had enough light to see without making a bunch of noise. Got in my stand at about 0630 and at 0730 had a doe come in down wind of me at about 40 yards. About 0830 I heard noise in the ridge above me and could see some bush branches moving...obviously being worked over by a buck, but I could not see him through the thick stuff. I finally got a look at him and thought at first glance that he may not be a shooter. There was a spike with him, but the spike went up to the field and the 10 came my way. I only had one chance to make a shoot / no-shoot call and decided I'd shoot. He stepped into a lane at 35 yards, I bleated, he stopped and got a muzzy through both lungs. I could tell the shot was good and heard him crash seconds later.
Thankfully the land owners son wants to learn about hunting so I went and got him to help me drag it out. Also thankfully we had permission to use a neighbors place to recover this guy and that saved us one hell of a long, hard drag through bottoms and up steep hills. He is in the fridge now and I'll do a Euro-Mount on the skull after I measure. He won't score well with only a 12" inside spread, but he has nice bases and is a good buck. I'm not sure how to post the picture itself so here is the link.

I'll get him scored soon.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...10Point002.jpg

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...10Point001.jpg

Last edited by NavyDeerHunter; 11-05-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Nice deer i would have sent one at him too! I hope to get a deer down soon but work has become hectic and now im looking at overtime for flood control so that really cuts back on my time in the woods at the wrong time of the year! Great deer though! Congrats!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:17 AM
Fork Horn

Navy,

Quit shooting all the deer man. What are the locals going to think when they are not hitting them with their cars? Good job !!!!

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.