Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Broadhead Bandits Thread (22) >

Official Team Broadhead Bandits Thread (22)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Broadhead Bandits Thread (22)

Old 10-26-2009, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kenny, I like the sound of that! I LEAVE FOR MISSOURI TOMORROW NIGHT AT MID NIGHT!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Definitely good to hear that the bucks are starting to chase. I will be heading to Illinois in less than two weeks. Too many things to do before I leave. Cannot wait till I get in the tree. Still hoping that my buddy from Illinois will be able to make it for the hunt. I am getting so anxious for the trip. Too bad I cannot hunt all fall and work the rest of the year. Maybe someday. Ha
Old 10-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Passed on a six point last Friday

I am headed to be with my dad tomorrow in B'ham as he is meeting with his cancer doctor and surgical team to see what they can do about his cancer that has moved to his spine. I leave here at 4 and will stay a few hours with him. Then, on my way home, if the time is right, I will sit back in the staging area where I missed the big guy on opening day.

Wish me luck, but pray for my dad.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:34 AM
Fork Horn

A prayer sent your way. I hope you get some good news out of your meeting with the DR.
Good luck with your dad and hunting if you have time.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Another prayer sent. I hope things turn out well.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I am outta here! Headed to Missouri, I will catch up when I get back next week! Good Luck to all of you!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck to you as well. I am hoping for a Halloween buck. I wouldn't mind a "birthday buck" but I won't be able to get out after work today.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm finally going hunting again tomorrow! I am excited! Hope to have a good story for you guys when I get home!

Trae
Old 10-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well where should I start?

Ill just list off the things I've accomplished/experienced the past week and get you guys all excited.

- won 8 dollars playing anne oakley at the trap shoot down in southern iowa
- kicked up a HUGE 10 pointer down south.
- Had a VERY tall 6 pointer come in at 50 yards to bed down then after 2 hours he came in at 15 yards. Spotted me at last light.
- same night I saw the 6 I was walking out and about 100 yards from the stand I kicked up that HUGE 10 pointer, no shot... too dark.
-had some fun around the camp fire
-went hunting back home sunday night... saw nothing.
-went out monday after school saw 5 does
-went out yesterday after school and this is where ill start the exciting part of the story....

Got in the stand at 4:50. About 5:10 I hear running straight to me from the bean field but I see nothing. Then all of a sudden a little button buck stops at 7 yards away. There was a big branch in front of me and I never saw him coming. He walked about 25 yards away from me and layed down. I thought that was pretty cool having him so close. I got some pictures and videos of him. Around 5:20 I saw a doe up in the hay field. About 5:45 a couple more does came into the field. Next thing I know they are running accross the field and im thinking what the heck... Then I see a deer moving slowly accross where the hayfield and tall grassy area meet. Its a small buck. (4 pointer) What was awkward on this deer is that he had a fork on one side and then on the other was a spike but the spike had a inch browtine on it. Those younger bucks dont usually have browtines. That button buck that was bedded down gets up and starts walking in the direction of the small 4 pointer (which he doesn't know is there) The button bucks gets in view of the 4 pointer and the button buck gets all scared while the 4 pointer starts rubbing on some small shrubs and scraping the ground. Im sure that button buck was scared ****less... The 4 pointer started walking towards the button buck (which was like 10 yards from me) and the 4 pointer jumped the fence and started chasing that button buck around. Then they both started walking to me and then thats when I hear another deer running straight to me. But this time is was no button buck... It was a big 8 pointer. He came from behind me and I didn't notice he was there until he started entering the field. He entered at 25 yards (right where that button buck was bedded down) then he stayed at the 25 yard range and started eating some beans. That small buck pops his head up and sees the bigger one and he starts heading over to the 8 pointer. Of course this was the time for the button buck to escape. So I looked over and I saw him sprinting off like a little baby. That 4 pointer met that 8 at 27 yards and he started licking at the 8 pointers face. Then the 8 was getting a little ticked and his ears laid back and his hair stood up. Then they started sparring a little bit. The 4 pointer knew he wasn't going to do anything special so he kinda jumps back and that 8 pointer starts walking to me and gets about 20 yards and turns broadside. Thats when I pulled back and stuck him. He took off with the arrow still in him. When he was running his back end starting swaying and I swear he was gonna fall but then he got his balance and started jumping around for some reason. Then he hopped the fence and I could no longer see him.

The shot was a little high and I think I only got one lung.

Im sorry guys the outcome wasn't the best because we had pretty much zero blood. We had like 4 small drops about 400 yards from where I shot him and that was all. We searched about an hour last night and couldn't find anything so we were gonna let him sit over night. We got back to the cabin and I started hearing the coyotes howl. I was getting worried. They were howling in the east and the buck went west but the thought of the coyotes being out made me nervous. We let him sit anyway and looked for him the this morning. I woke up and there was so much dew on the grass that I knew it was gonna be a hard time finding him. We went back where we found the 4 drops of blood and they were gone. So we searched till about 10:30 today without a blood trail. We had no idea where he went so we searched all the spots we thought he would have gone... like the creeks and the big thick draws. We never found him. Im hoping he makes it because there was no blood and a deer can live with only one lung. I sure hope the coyotes didn't get him while he was running.
I really hate to quit looking but there really is no way to find him without a blood trail or a better idea of where he went.

Ill be going out tomorrow night to go hunting and then ill be out all weekend. I might try after school days next week too.

Thats how my past week went.

---------------------------

Tonight is substate for playoffs. We are playing Pella. We should be able to beat them. They beat us last year in the first round of playoffs so we better do it to them this year.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:11 AM
Fork Horn

Pope, thats a bummer, but it does happen from time to time.

Really windy last nite but went out anyway. Only saw 1 doe with 2 fawns and 1 3pt. that i could have shot.
Raining cats and dogs this morning again, suppose to stop by friday morning so maybe this weekend will be better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.