Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Broadhead Bandits Thread (22) >

Official Team Broadhead Bandits Thread (22)

2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Broadhead Bandits Thread (22)

Old 10-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not to good of a day yesterday. Started off we got out there pretty early and just when we were getting ready to head into the stands I realized I had forgot my license back at home. Luckily I only live about 10 minutes from where I hunt. We finally got back and got in the stands a little late but still dark out. Sat for 4 hours and saw nothing. I always see something at least from this stand but I think because most of the fields are still up that the deer are holding up in the corn fields. Hopefully with the drier weather this week they will get out most if not all the fields before next week end. We decided to go check out another spot and when we got there the farmer was there and was checking to see if he would be able to harvest the corn there that afternoon. He was afraid that when the truck was full of corn that he wouldn't be able to get the truck out through the muddy fields. We decided to go ahead and walk back to a little wood lot that was in the middle of the standing corn. I really hate walking through standing corn but we did it anyways. I think that the deer head to this wood lot because its really flat and open all around it when the corn is out and you can see forever. This wood lot is in a field behind where I hunt all the time. I have thought for years this is where the deer go when they dissappear for m our hunting area. I for what ever reason didn't get permission to hunt this area until after last years hunting season ended. When we got back to the lot we busted 2 does out of it. It is only about a 50 yard by 70 yard wooded area. We decided to leave and come back when we can get in there in the morning and set up better. It has a natural spring in it and the farmer said there is always water in it for the deer to drink. we went back over to where we started out and didn't see anything. Later we decided to go back home and saw 2 does when we left. So for the day we did alot of walking alot of stand sitting and I only saw 4 does. My buddy did manage to see a buck with a messed up rack on it. It was one that I posted from the trail camera that was a long spike on one side and either 3 or 4 points on the other side. we opted not to go out again today hoping that the farmers will get the fields out this week and we can hit it hard all next week end.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys I'll tell the story later but here's a result of our opening weekend in North Alabama. I didn't get one but my brother got these two.
Attached Thumbnails Official Team Broadhead Bandits Thread (22)-caleb-hunt-e2.jpg  
Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet. Congrats to your brother. That's a unique looking rack.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

I shot at the biggest buck of my life on Thursday evening. I never found any blood, hair, or my arrow.

I was hunting a new greenfield that I had never hunted. It had all kind of sign and was torn up more than any I had ever seen. I decided to hunt a few of the hardwoods at the bottom end of the field. I positioned myself where the deer would come out behind me to the left if they were to come to the field from that side or I would still be able to shoot part of the field.

At about 15 min left of shooting light, a spike comes out. Then, he gets pushed out by a huge 6 pt. Then I see the white of the monster came out. The only problem was that they were behind me to the right....the worst place to be. They weren't in a hurry to come out and day light was fading. He finally turned broadside. I had turn to face the tree and put my right hand over the harness strap to be able to draw. Then I had to lean way out to miss a deadfall between us. I thought I heard a clear shot and took it. I heard the "thwack" sound that usually means a hard hit. It wasn't a great "thump" lung shot, but a clear hit sound.

He ran into some a kudzu thicket and I thought he was down. It was shaking as he kept getting hung up in it, but finally he made it out. I still thought I had him. I gave it an hour and then looked for my arrow and blood to no avail. Then I tried to find where he went into the kudzu. No luck. I gave him another hour and then looked throught he kudzu and and where I thought he came out. No luck. A front was coming through and the weather was dropping temp. The dew was as thick as rain. About an hour later, I heard coyotes yipping and howling about 200 yards away. I couldn't get to them because it was so thick through that 7 year old clear cut.

I came back the next morning and looked for 2 more hours. No luck. I am bummed.

Found out my dad's cancer has come back, my laptop got stolen out of my car last night, I can't find the biggest buck of my life, and Auburn lost.... Man.

Well, guys at least I had some action. I feel terrible about the buck and guess I will go back next week and look for buzzards.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats to your brother! Sweet deer!

Arjuna, better luck next time my man, I hate theives, and I am sorry to hear about your dad. I shall pray all goes well for him.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arjuna. Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope everything works out ok. Thats a bummer about the buck. Better luck next time. Keep at it.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about your dad, Arjuna. Also sorry to heard about your buck. Hope you find him or he comes back so you can get another shot at him.

I went out tonight and saw a couple bucks and some does. The wind was like 237 mphs. Pretty intense. My blind is on top of a hill and it was blowing like crazy so I got out and went to a tree stand that was below the hill. It was a little better down there. My grandpa and uncle started on the beans. Their hoping corn next week or the week after.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Arjuna, sorry to hear about your father. I hope and pray that things will be ok.
I hope that you find your buck, that is never a good feeling when that happens.

Pope you were wrong, the wind was about 400 mph. Did not see a thing tonite. Only two does this morning, down wind - busted.
Duck hunted yesterday, shot our limits in the morning and set with my wife muzzleloader hunting in the afternoon. She passed on a small buck and two does too far to shoot.

Things will get better when they get the crops out.

Pope , what about the football game?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pope94/IA
Our game friday was funny. The coaches said that that was going to be the hardest and best freshman game in their past three years. Both us and keokuk were undefeated for freshman. They were in the locker rooms and they were saying they were gonna kick our @$S and kill us and stuff and it turned out we killed them 41-0.
Im not even sure what the varsity game was, I got bored because we were winning by so much so I left and went to the cabin. It was like 57-6 when I left the game.
It was back a page.
We played a great game all four quarters.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, flying back to Florida today after 4 days in Arkansas. Unfortunately I was unable to find what I was looking for. Had a couple of small 6 pointers walk under my stand but could not locate a bigger one. The positive about the hunt was that I was able to get my friend in a spot that he was able to harvest a decent 8 pointer. Biggest one he has ever got. So that was pretty cool. Two weeks until Illinois so I am already gearing up for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.