Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Wanna see my Booner Thread (31) >

Official Team Wanna see my Booner Thread (31)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Wanna see my Booner Thread (31)

Old 08-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HUNGAR
Anyone make any major changes to their hunting set ups this year? I think this is the first year since I've been hunting (26yrs or so) that I've kept it all the same. The only things new this year that I will be using are a set of Day One Predator fall grey fleece bibs and foot rests for my Lone Wolf (X-mas presents).

Anyone getting any good game cam pics? I am down to one camera after getting one stolen last year (private property) so I am reluctant to put it out until later in the season when I can attend to it more.

Chris
Haha chris I have changed much this year!! I planned on getting a new bow this year but my pocket wouldnt allow me to so I just bought all new accesories!! I put a new sight and rest on my bow! I finally got the rest figured out and it is shooting great!! I love my new sight!! QAD LD rest and Viper Pro 2000 Sight!!

I plan on shooting Rage expandables this year instead of my usual Muzzys or Slick Tricks! In this case I changed from a Beman ICS arrow to FMJ's to get more FOC and KE and I am definantely getting that! My arrows are absolutely slamming the target!! I hope the Rages work out good, if not I always have the Slicks to fall back on!! I do have the Rages shooting GREAT out to 50 yards but dont plan on taking any shots past 25 with this setup!!

I had to buy a new climber T stand since mine got stolen! I had an API Grand Slam and now own a Loggy Bayou Mega Transformer, I havent had the chance to use it but it seems it will be nice?

I am patientlly waiting on the new cold gear line of Ultimate Camo and also plan on buying the Scentblocker Realtree Road Trips outfit!!

Other than that I aint changing a thing!! Haha
Old 08-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

You do realize that when you buy a new bow later you will have to buy new accessories Atleast that is what I tell the wife. My motto should be-- this is the last (insert accessory here) that I buy-----------until next year.

I have heard good things about the 2 blade Rage and not so good things about the 3 blade Rage, but it is probably like most bowhunting stuff--personal preference. I am done with expandables for a couple of reasons. I figure if ya hit'em where your supposed to you get the same result just might take a few extra steps. And, why fix what isn't broke. I had a bad experience with Spitfires, it had been raining so I figured put'em down quick, I had Tricks and Spitfires both and elected to take the Spitfires. Well it changed to snow and we got around 6 inches, a nice buck comes in on a quartering away angle. I take the shot deer runs off hear a crash. Sweet! Well a mile or so later a few creeks and a river resulted in no deer. Best I can figure the arrow angled up into the leg scapula area. I say this because we found around 7 areas where the deer was running and did a nose dive into the snow like the shoulder gave out on him. I could have had the same results with the Tricks, but I really don't think so.

I actually sold my climber because I always elected to take my Lone Wolf out over the climber. I can set it up in under 10 minutes and take it down in five. Also, I love the way it packs and carries. I was never a really "strong climber", meaning it seemed like I was climbing forever and I would look at the ground and be 15 feet up

I like the look of the UC, it reminds me of the first suit I ever bought. I was 17 I believe and got me some Treebark in fleece, I really loved that suit the only downfall was that with the old style of fleece it was a burr magnet. I picked alot of burrs out in stand waiting for deer

Chris
Old 08-30-2009, 01:53 AM
Fork Horn

Widow Makers for a team name is out, I see another team already has it.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Outdoorsman
Maybe we can get together sometime this year and shoot the sh*t or something.

Sounds good, good luck to ya.

...And to everyone on the team. It's looking like it will be a good year at our little farm this year, we'll see... My secret weapon for this year is a little late season food source to keep them around throughout December, if I need to be in it for the long haul to put a buck down. If not, I hope to kill a doe or two off it also. They usually move off to the cut corn and bean fields again in the late season. Hope this helps this year: Purple top and 7-top turnips

Old 09-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

This year has been a little off for me. The plots got in later than we wanted, had the tiller go down and then the following week the gears in the tractor went out. Plus mother nature made it hard to find a good weekend to till. But nevertheless, they are in. I feel good about this year, put up a stand in a new location and did some trimming for lanes. We’ve got a nice bean field to the east of us and 6 food plots in the woods and another 2 behind the pond. So food shouldn’t be an issue for us. I’ve seriously considered switching back to some old broadheads, the Satellite Titan 125 cut on contact broadheads. Other than that, everything else is staying the same for me.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just checked my 1st ever trail cam (1 week out)-3 Does & lots of COWS, Coons & Bushytails.
Will move it to another stand location this weekend.
Oh, I know the Bucks are there-saw them last year & no one killed any size Bucks Gun season.
Our regular season starts Oct. 1..
Old 09-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

The only thing I'm changing this year is the time I spend in the woods. I'm going to wait until late October before hunting for the bucks I'm getting on my trail cameras. I'm going after meat, ie does in the early part of the season near the farm fields and keeping the remote stands untouched until the early rut. I'll post pictures from my trail cameras when I have a chance to resize them to include on this site.

My fall food plots went in around August 8th but they aren't growing as well as Bowmanaj's. I think I need to fertilize them which I'm planning on doing over Labor Day weekend. Should have about 6 more weeks of growing season left if I can get ahead of the browsing.

I sent an email to our MIA last week and haven't gotten any response. I noticed he's posted on other forums so maybe he's just not interested in this team event.

Pictures coming shortly.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Here's an early picture from the deepest part of my woods when they were still running in bachelor groups.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

From the same location two weeks later. Notice Trophy Rock is almost gone. This is the stand location I'm going to let sit idle until late October to hopefully get them moving during daylight now that they have shed their velvet.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Fork Horn

Those are some nice looking deer!

I will be hunting the prime locations later in the year also, coaching the boys football takes up a big chunk of time. It ends October 17th which is kind of a good thing because it will keep me out of those locations until later in Oct. I have a lot of corn planted around me so the beginning of the season should be slow until the corn comes off.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.