Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1) >

Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)

Old 10-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Went out yesterday afternoon, after I got off work early. Got in the stand about 2:30 and at 3:15 I see my Ten pointer cruiser by me at about 60 yards in the woods. He wanted nothing to do with grunting or the shake of the antlers, once him came in... I rattled him in, but never did circle around. He is getting closer.....
Old 10-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good Luck FM...stay after him Mark.

The bucks are definitly cruising..we should have some score by this time next week. Shoot Straight, pick a spot!
Old 10-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rain,Rain,Rain.I have never seen a year with so much of it

Rubs and scrapes are showing up,the rut is going to start kicking in here soon.Only going to get better to be in the woods.
I will be rifle hunting the second week of November.The rut should be in full swing and its my last week of holidays.Really want to put a big one down.Then it will be back to bowhunting till the end of december.
Its only a matter of time
Old 10-31-2009, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

My rollercoaster of a season continues, and I'm not sure if I am ever going to catch a break.

First off, my dad had a heart attack yesterday afternoon during a therapy visit for his stroke. They rushed him to the ER, and he was released from ICU this morning. Should be home tomorrow or Monday. A HUGE relief for me and my family. I finally made it home, washed my clothes, and went to bed around 1. I woke up about an hour late this morning, and hurried up into my stand. I got everything setup a few minutes before I could see. I rattled a few times early with nothing showing.

Around 9 I let out a couple grunts and shortly after looked down the hill below me and about 120 yards I could see a buck walking. I grunted and nothing, so I rattled and he turned. I took a glance at him around 45-50 yards and saw he was VERY BIG! He was a main frame 8 point, his main beams curled around and came to a close point, with a split G-2 on his right side, and about ear width wide. He had that old warrior buck look, and I figured this buck was at least 5 1/2 years old. He was simply just an awesome, mature, stud of a 9 pointer.

He was going to pass by me at a spot I had ranged at 31 yards, so I drew and got ready to stop him, but he did that himself as he stopped to peer down the hill. I took careful aim with my 30 yard pin and released. It all seems like it happened so slow now, but the arrow looked perfect, and then I heard a loud WHACK, and a small sapling exploded. The buck took off. I'm crushed.

After some searching I found my arrow and there was no sign of a hit. I am heading down to the hospital tonight, so I won't be hunting until tomorrow.

Last edited by Scott/IL; 10-31-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Illinois, I hope your dad is able to fully recover. I'm sure the whole team will be vsaying an extra prayer for him.

Guy's, looked at my weather for next week and it's looking awesome. I've made my flight plans and meeting so it looks like I will get out on several hunts next week. I'm cutting my week a little short and traveling home on Wed but should still have an opportunity to shoot at something. My friend said the bucks have been coming out of the park and chasing the does around his yard regularly every morning. Due to the fact I have set up a meeting with my division president at 10:45 am on Monday, I'll probably hunt his yard first thing Monday. I can get a few hours in his shed, hopefully shoot at something nice, enjoy a good breakfast at his house after the hunt and change for work. If I see a decent 8 point or better, I'll drop him along with a few does. If not, Monday night I feel lucky already. My other friend has access to a lady's property in the middle of a multi-million dollar neighborhood. Everyone owns 30 to 40 acres with 90 acres in the middle as common property. No hunting allowed on the common property but the lady wants more does killed this year on her property. I've hunted this property for two years now but had a short season last year due another neighbor raising a stink about us hunting there. Not because he was anti hunting, he just doesn't want us outsiders to have access to this honey hole. So my friend got limited to only him and his dad. This year the ban has been lifted for now. This is prime suburban hunting at it's best. I've seen some very big deer on this property but unfortunately, only came close to one shot two years ago before the doe the big buck was chasing me winded me. Last year I saw a big 10 point with a ball of plastic orange construction fence caught up in his rack. First I only saw the orange and assumed it was the lady or her neighbor walking in the woods. My eyes got real big when I saw it was a buck. He was just too far from me.

Good luck everyone!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey ILBH..I read your story on the other site and jumped right over here..Man, first off glad to hear Dads doing better then expected.. You're family will be in my thoughts and prayers..

Your on good deer, relax, (easy to say from here) but the news on your Dad sounds encouraging. Take care of family first, nothing would bouy his spirits better than a successful hunt story..But time with him is more important at this point.

The only pressure is from yourself internally, relax and remember the important lessons he's taught you over the years. You'll get it done...!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I showed up to the hospital and repeated the events of the hunt down to nearly a minute by minute encounter lol. When it came to the arrow smacking the tree, his face crinkled and told me that sounded all to familiar.

He was referring to one of my first ever bow hunts when I was 11 years old. He was hunting with me and we had been at it for 2 days and I still hadn't seen my first deer out of a stand yet. On the end of the 3rd day an 8 pointer came in to one of his rattling sequences right at the end of shooting light. I drew and he was in a stand above me whispering "wait, wait wait" and I released it anyways smack dab into a bush.

He said the buck was about 110", but I could of cared less if it was a button buck, I was so rattled at the moment.

I'm heading out to our family farm tomorrow, and giving this piece another break. I have only hunted it 4 times and seen a shooter each time. It is a small piece though, so stand options are limited. The farm has been some rough hunting, but I am going to sneak into the spot where the cam snapped the pictures of the bucks I posted a few pages back.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey boys long time no talk. sorry i been busy with school and sports, havent had any time to hunt. but this weekand i will forshorre
Old 11-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default We are on the BOARD...

Hey guys we are on the board. I will post story and score tomorrow. I shot a Tall Seven pointer. It wasn't the 10 I was looking for, but I am leaving Wednesday for the U.P. to go duck hunting and had to do it. 40 yards, and the RAGE 2 blade but him down he went 50 yards.
Attached Thumbnails Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)-img_16507.jpg   Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)-img_16539.jpg  
Old 11-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Here is the story....

http://huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunti...ml#post3492000

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.