Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1) >

Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)

Old 10-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys I am looking for a new pair of binoculars. I know you get what you pay for but, I am looking into something around $300 or so. I have read about the Nikon Monarch ATB and Bushnell Legend Ultra HD. What do you guys think, I can't look through these crap binoculars anymore. Let me know what you think or what you guys are using in the range. Thanks Mark..

Yes I double posted this, sorry.....Need some help....
Old 10-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

This afternoon was my first sit of the year. It felt good to be back in a stand.

The wind allowed me to hunt the spot I have had picked out for the last month. I got off work, came home and showered, and was in a stand at 4. I was hunting at the top of a point (one of 5) that run off a steep hill and into a standing corn field. Atop the hill is a bedding area and the deer travel down this and into the field.

My guess was the deer would stop off and get a belly full of acorns before moving into the field. Well the result was no deer sighted on the evening and 50 squirrils.

I did almost get a crack at a coyote though. Right around the end of shooting light I caught movement to my left. He closed within 15 yards and I came to full draw waiting for him to clear a small tree, but he came across my entry trail and bolted.

I'll be back at it tomorrow and Sunday afternoons. One of the spots I have planned to hunt is about an hour walk with the corn still in. I was there a month ago to put a camera up and haven't checked it since. Hopefully I am able to get in there for a sit and pull the card out of that camera.

Best of luck to the rest of you and hopefully I can get an old doe or a big buck on the ground this weekend.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Guys been busy with work. Still have yet to hunt. In NC there are too many chiggers to deal with. However, as luck would have it, it looks like I may have the latter half of next week to hunt if I choose to brave the chiggers. Have no fear though. The third week of October I took three days vacation and I'm hunting MD. Got many spots up there to hunt and many bucks running around. I shoot something for the team. I plan on doing it early so that I can get my shoulder surgery in Dec.

Good luck to everyone. I will put a deer on the board.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mark, My Nikon ATB's is one of the best investments I ever made. I absolutely love'em and the size is just right to carry them all day!

IBH..been there with the squirrels! Go back squirrel hunting and all you'll see is deer..lol

We have faith in ya FM, take it easy and save that shoulder for when Mr. Big steps out on Halloween Eve.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Bought a pair of Nikon's and love them. Went out lastnight and saw about 20 does, and saw two more this morining. When are the big boys going to show up...LOL....
But where there are does, there are buck, at least in Nov.......
Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys i finally figureed it out.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Took a long hike tonight into a nice funnel area. I usually don't see many deer from this spot, but it has always proved to be a good travel corridor for bucks.

Well I got skunked again. About 5:15 the neighbor land owner started cutting wood about 150 yards away from my stand right on the property land. Oh well that's the way it goes I guess. I am going to go out Tuesday afternoon to check out the property boundarys of a new property I have access to. Hopefully I can find 1 or 2 stand sites on it.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Hunted all day Saturday...the weather was better than I anticipated earlier in the week. Was a little warm during the day but no rain. Saw 8-10 doe, a spike and a ton of squirrel. Does anyone hunt them little buggers anymore....so darn noisy. The worst came after dark. I was hunting two fence line funnels that intersect at the corner of a large cornfield. At dark I headed back to the truck. The field also borders the road. Loaded up my gear and got in the truck. Through the moonlight and the spray of my headlights, I spotted deer running around up in the field I was hunting. I get out the spotlight, and see 4 doe and three buck in the field up in the corner I hunt. The one looks like the spike I saw earlier, theres a nice little 6/7 pointer, and a good PA shooter 10 point. He looks to be about 17inch spread...guessing around 120". I'd be proud to take that one, and it looks like he's using the trail I'm hunting. We just need them big buck to start moving around a little sooner than dark...otherwise I need to catch him closer to his bed. We'll see what happens...it was only first day and theres many more to come.

Might get out once more before the weekend. My little bro is getting married Saturday, so this weekend is out of the question. Thank goodness he didn't ask me to be his best man and schedule it during the rut. I would hate to have to make that decision....LOL.

Good luck out there all....keep them arrows flying!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Illinois Buck Hunter
Took a long hike tonight into a nice funnel area. I usually don't see many deer from this spot, but it has always proved to be a good travel corridor for bucks.

Well I got skunked again. About 5:15 the neighbor land owner started cutting wood about 150 yards away from my stand right on the property land. Oh well that's the way it goes I guess. I am going to go out Tuesday afternoon to check out the property boundarys of a new property I have access to. Hopefully I can find 1 or 2 stand sites on it.
Don't ever let that deter you. Deer don't care about lawn mowers. In fact, walk along without a care in the world. I've hunted residential for 20 years. You would be surprise to the activity the goes on side by side. I got kids playing below me 30 yrd one side and deer 30 yrds the other way. I get horseback riders come right below me and then deer five months later. Heck, I've been moving mulch around my neighborhood scooping it with my frontend loader with a buck watching my from 20 yrds.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whacked another doe tonite with another successful "drop within sight" shot... Shot her from about 7 yards out, hard quartering away, arrow entered in front of the liver and came out thru the shoulder and then finally sticking about 5" into the dirt haha. She went 35-40 yards and was done for...

So far 3 hunts, 2 perfect shots, and 2 deer down!!!

Time for the big buck search now

Derek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.