Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1) >

Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)

2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)

Old 09-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Checked my trail cams and it seems the bucks have disappeared out of the bean fields. Not a big deal as I'm hoping that they will take the corn out when it dries up here(rain every day this past week).

I am still waiting on this new farm to see if I have the rights to it or not. Already got 2 spots picked out that look promising on the aerial maps, but haven't stepped foot on it yet. October needs to hurry up, I'm ready to take a break from slinging arrows into the block and start putting some time on the stand!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well Guys put a doe down on opening day!

The morning hunt was slow..I saw a doe and a decent buck in the headlights as I pulled into the farmers field. I hunt the other side of the road. The deer didn't spook at all and I quietly slipped towards my stand. I sat until 8:40 ish didn't see anything except for flock after flock of geese.

Flash forward to the afternoon. It's one of those cool rainy days with a heavy sky, the kind of day you just expect deer movement to be high. I had planned on being on stand by 3:00 at some public land 40 minutes south of here. Well I was working on a lawn-mower and lost track of time. So by the time I shower and get there I'm late already! At 4:10 I'm hooked up to the tree and ready to climb. I take the first step with the lone wolf climber and a doe blows her alarm and takes off. ARGH!
5:00 I see 5 deer, a Big Doe with 2 fawns (out of spots) and 2 of last years doe.
They feed off in the wrong direction never offering a shot. At 6:00 I turn around and see a group coming towards me. Same group of 5. I have an agreement with my family that I won't shoot fawns or the mother. (My choice). So that leaves me 2 targets both last years doe. I like to set my climber so the tree is between me and the suspected travel route. Well the 2 fawns run up towards me and are under my tree, mom is right on thier tail. They feed behind me I can't see them as I'm looking for the shot the other way. Finally one of the 2 doe starts angling up the hill, quartering away hard, it's 28 yards. I draw (the whole time not knowing if the 3 behind me are watching me at all), will they blow at the wrong time?? I have a leaf in the way of the pins. I look and my top limb of the bow may not clear my bow-hook in the tree. I contort my body so all is clear. I release and see the arrow sink deep in the boiler room but far enough back that the exit hole will be where it needs to be, based on the angle.

She takes off like a lightening bolt, but after 20 yards her air is gone, and she piles up. I listened to her last gargled breathes. No need to wait on this one! The Rage 2 Blade made an awesome slice on the entry and a hole the size of a pumpkin ball on the exit.

I hike the climber and bow back to the truck grab all the essentials for the drag and head back in.. She probably weighed I dunno 95 lbs as she lay there but when I got her back to the truck she may as well have been an Elk!

Fresh venison for the season...A good start!
Old 09-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atta boy...nothing like some opening day backstraps. Congrats on your doe.

Anyone else out hunting yet?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the doe GR8. It sure makes you that much more confident for when that bruiser comes in. Our season doesn't open until this Saturday 10-3...I can't wait.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

You guys have got to see this NAP Bloodrunner Broadhead video on African game! Holy cow! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGtxU6z4k4
Old 09-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

downed one finally. My second time in a tree this season. 49yd pass thru with a rage 2 blade.

THe full write up is in the bowhunting section.

Derek
Old 09-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the doe! what kinda heads yall shootin? i be using 100 gr 4 blade muzzys
Old 09-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are killing me! I'm ready to get out there.

Congrats to you drockw....mossberg my arrows will be tipped with 100 grain Montec CS.

Went out today to check my cameras. Although no good pics (does and small bucks) I did get to sit on a hillside and watch a very solid 10 pointer munch on acorns for a few minutes. I would put him right around 130" give or take a few. An animal I would be tickled to tag.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome dmounts to the team.

Congrats on the doe drockw and Gr8.Nice pics.
You guys are really getting me pumped for the opener.I will be out Thursday evening,our opener,then i am off for the week.Cant wait.
Feeling better now guys,lasted 4 days,not sure what it was but it was nasty.

Will be using my Hoyt with PSE Radial X- with 100 grain Wasp Boss heads.Fly great from my bow and worked great last year

PS--The avatar looks great
Old 09-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess I missed my chance. Football season is rough (between practices and games). Throw work in there, and I am swamped until bow season starts here (mid Oct.), so I don't get on here much right now. Best of luck to all of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.