Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1) >

Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)

Old 11-02-2009, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome Mark...congrats! Way to get us going!

Yesterday was a great day afield!
I went to a "new" spot, not new, in the sense that I'd never been there but I never hung a stand there. When I was going over Sundays hunt scenerios, Saturday Night, in my mind. I knew two things:
1) I only had the morning till about 1PM to hunt
#2) I had to mix it up

Judging from the deer I've seen on the other side of the road, in the evenings. Many had to come from this high ridge. A morning hunt means they return here??.

I went in in the dark but timed it so enough light would allow me to pick a likely spot as the pre-dawn began to slightly lighten the woods. Things went well, except 8:30 am had come and not a deer had been seen. Then I see a doe slip through the thickness just below the ridge. A couple minutes later I look to where she disappeared over the ridge, and a very nice buck is headed my way in a fast and furious, nose to the ground, manner. He's a solid 8 point, going to cross at about 25 yards.My bow in hand he is coming hard, I soft grunt as he hits an opening, no effect, louder grunt, not even a break in step, snort-wheeze....nothing!.... and he is gone.
Then (to make a long story, shorter) from about 10-11:30 I see, a spike, 2 different 4 points, and a nice 7pt, (not quite a shooter yet), and a BB. The mid-day is happening folks, if you get the chance hang out a spell.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Awesome mark. Great looking deer.

I didn't hunt this morning because I still needed to pick up a license and my friend can't hunt tomorrow. So I decided to hold off hunting my other friends backyard tomorrow morning. He said he has two bucks coming around regularly chasing does around.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a very good lookin 7 pointer Mark! Congrats on the kill, and way to get us on the board. Hopefully some of us can pick ya up now and add some more points. Good work on getting the bow in the picture, and get him scored and added to the card.

Again congrats on a great looking buck Mark!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Word on the street is there is a GREAT buck on the ground for our team.

No it's not me, but there is a hint in that first line, and I am not 100% positive yet....
Old 11-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow guys, my first real hunt tonight. Deer are every where. From the time I basically got in the tree til the time I climbed down, I had deer coming by. The problem was no big bucks but many smaller ones chasing does all over the place. What this tells me is the rut is close and I'm looking forward to the bigger ones getting stupid. I did see a pic of a nice 10 point killed this morning. I will be getting out there tomorrow and see what I can do.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Another morning and tons of deer all over the place. I educated a couple of does but not how you are thinking. I didn't go out until 7am and jumped im my friends backyard. Deer were everywhere as I was getting my clothes on. So as I was hooking my stand up to the tree, two does heard me and not only watched me do it but walked within 20yrds checking me out. It was just too funny. Anyway, no big bucks but here is a pic of 2 4pts locking up at around 8 this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4pts.jpg (14.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

The afternoon hunt started with a roll call via text. Rob, Schultzy, PT is everyone up? PT was the only negative as he had another commitment. Next text..Beer on first deer? Response 2, Game Ons!

I'm hunting the same ridge, that I saw different bucks from on Sunday Morning-early afternoon. Including a shooter 8 pt. Tonight I felt I had to make a strategic move in stand location to cover more of the south side of a cut. At around 4pm, two doe come busting past me. I quickly focus on thier backtrail, and see what I believe to be my nice 8 slipping over the ridge. I see nothing more and darkness is coming, sunset is looming and I'm on my last 20 minutes.
I can hear deer, this noise is different form the squirrels I've been listening to for the last 3 hours. The leaves are like rice krispies crunchy and loud. The deer are on the other side of the cut, in the area of some thick grape-vine undergrowth. I can't see anything. Time is getting short, I give a series of grunts, the movement is getting closer. I see 2 deer, both doe..but hear more behind them. I grunt again, the doe are unsettled. But something is coming. I hear him making a scrape in the crispy leaves. I look at my watch, I have mere minutes left, I grunt more aggressively. I see movement up the trail coming my way. Finally with the last available light he steps out of the cover. I had previously ranged the tree he steps behind, 28 yards. My super peep is cloudy and my practice in the witching hours is about to be tested. My 28 yard pin is green, which is clear and bright. I wait for the shot anchored at full draw, he turns and the arrow is launched. The woods explode with movement and noise. But I think I hear him crash. I climb down to at least go to the shot sight. By the time I get there it's dark. No blood, no arrow..?? Hmmmm. But I think I heard some thrashing on my way over to the spot. I walk the trail a bit..no this is wrong, back to the shot sight to search for the arrow or blood. Nothing!!! Dang it, I know what I heard. Back up the trail, further this time, I round a slight bend and see antler on the ground. I hit him good the angle must have been excellent. The arrow lodged in the off shoulder blade as it was still in him. No blood on the ground, but recovery within 20 yards.

I'm thrilled with this buck. It wasn't a usual set-up it all came together based on prior sightings and intuition. I hunted this spot 2 times Sunday and Monday. It's a Public Land Buck. This land gets hammered last year they took over 150 (tagged) deer off this 3000 acre tract.

He's a solid 8 with an "acorn" kicker off his brow tine making him a 9. Score and all later, I have a job interview in an hour.

Some-text buddies owe me a beer..Budlight please

EDIT score 125 4/8

Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Good going fellas. It has been a hectic fews weeks for me. I haven't been on much due to a bunch of sh*t. I killed a doe 2 weeks ago but haven't been out much until now. I dont have the days to burn but am able to alter my schedule so for the next few weeks I will be out every night for a few hours got on a 6-2 schedule. Deer here in MD are getting right. Looks like we have to solid deer for the team I am hoping top add to that sometime in the next 3 weeks. Good luck everyone
Old 11-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats guys....those are some really nice deer. I'm proud to be on a team this year that actually participates. We didn't hear from 6 of our guys last season after it started. Tough to win with 4 people. Looks like we're on the right track Hooters Shooters. I will be hunting just about everyday between now and Nov.14th when early archery season ends. Looks like the buck are starting to chase these does here is southwestern Pa. Two of my buddies both have their bucks already...a 9 and a 10. The last 3 years I shot my buck between 4 and 4:30 the last Monday of the early archery season. That would be Nov.9th this year. I will be hunting all day the 9th, and the 10th just in case. Can't wait to get a shot at a decent buck. Hoping for a 120"+....got to set my sights higher because last years buck was 114". Good Luck everyone!
Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Great kill GR8atta2d nice deer..........Great job........ Guys I need some help with my score. I am going to tell you guys before I post it in the other place. Let me give this a try.
Left side......... Right Side
MB 22 1/8 .......22 2/8
G1 6 1/8.......... 7 4/8
G2 9 5/8.......... 7 4/8
G3 7 4/8

H1 4 5/8.......... 4 4/8
H2 3 ...............3 2/8
H3 2 2/8.......... 2
H4 1 7/8.......... 1 6/8

Inside spread 17 2/8

What would be the total? I am going with 123 1/8 FINAL ANSWER?

Let me know before I enter Thanks....
Attached Thumbnails Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)-img_6532.jpg   Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)-img_6539.jpg   Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)-img_6506.jpg  

Last edited by markjenna; 11-04-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.