Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1) >

Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)

Old 10-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Couldn't get out tonight, had to pick up my truck from the shop with the new plow on it, so took one of my twin 5 year old girls over to the filed to glass some deer, and saw the Big 10. He has about 1 foot g2 and 3's. Very nice, He made a scape and was just eating the freshly cut beans. I watched him as Gracie asked if she could keep honking the horn so he would pop his head up. Sat there for a while and then let my girl sit on my lap and drive, as she calls it, across the field. Hope to see him again REAL SOON...
Old 10-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recruited the help of a friend yesterday and instead of hunting we slipped in to the large river bottoms and hung 2 sets. One is a dam seperating the river from a lake where the deer cruise up and down. There were several LARGE tracks all over the dam and many beds in the tall weeds.

The other is in a flooded timber, but there is about a 100 yard straight elevated and dry area, about 5-6 yards wide. The deer are absolutely tearing that area up. Might be kind of wierd walking through shin high water and then climbing into my tree though.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Jumped out two mornings in a row. The first hunt was in the stand where my neighbor chopped out my cover. Jumped one at my pond on the way in. Yesterday, took my climber and jumped a bunch behind my pond so I backed out and went two houses down in my neighborhood. Hopped up behind his house and at 7:15 that samll herd came up. They ranged from tiny grill size to big does. I herd a buck but unfortunately it was a tiny 5 to 8 pointer. I must emphasize tiny. It was the biggest small rack I have ever seen. When he came up, I thought he was just a spike. However, when he was right uder me I saw he had at lest 3 points on the right and a few on the left. The 12 played around underneath me for a good 20 minutes before moving off into the neighborhood. After I got down, I scouted the area a little and found the new neighbor put up a ladder stand so I guess I won't hunt that spot too much, or atleast on weekends.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yet another close call again yesterday. I had a 130 class 8 pointer headed my way very slowly. He closed within 60 yards and a slight wind shift screwed me and the gig was up. It was a definite heart crusher, as he would of most likely stayed on a path that goes 10 yards by me. Thats hunting though.

I hunted all day today at a different farm to let this one rest, and although I didn't see any deer, I did get some nice buck on camera.
Attached Thumbnails Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)-004.jpg   Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)-032.jpg  
Old 10-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

good news today. My dad was out hunting today and saw a 140" buck as he was in the stand. He also saw another one that was roughly 100-110". Said he had deer all over him until ten o'clock. Finally we have seen some decent bucks!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys I am getting about as close as you can get without ever releasing an arrow.

After hunting all day yesterday and again this morning at our family farm, and not seeing anything, I packed it up and headed back to this spot. A light drizzle met me when I started my long walk to my stand, and provided the sound dampener to let me slip into it and get my climbing sticks attached to the tree. I noticed several scrapes that were not there on Friday, and I was setup and ready at 3:00.

The rain was off and on as the day wore on, and at 4:00 I caught movement coming down the trail towards me. A check from the binos showed a button buck and a doe. I watched them pass and then a few minutes later a small 6 pointer walked through.

When I was leaving this morning something made me grab the rattling antlers out of the garage. I didn't use them this morning, but I still packed them in with me tonight. At 5:50 I let out a few grunts and grabbed the antlers for some light sparring....and this is when the fun starts....

I had no more than hit the antlers for 10 seconds and the hillside above me errupts. I have NEVER seen a deer come down this hill before, however I glance up and see the 8 point from Friday coming at me and coming fast. I stand there with my antlers in my hand, bow on the EZ Hanger, and my release tucked into my sleeve.

The buck closes from 30 yards to the base of my tree in no time then walks out about 10 yards. At this point I have got the antlers put up, my release back out, and I'm reaching for my bow. Then POOF...he takes off. I hurry up, spin around, and get on him. He is just standing 30 yards off, but is behind 3 very large trees, he just stands there letting out a few short grunts. I give a quick range on either side of him...30 if he comes back towards me, and then 42 if he exits behind the trees. I start to see him move and I come to full draw, but he stops behind a small bush. I stay drawn for almost a minute, and he trots back to the cluster of trees. He just stood there grunting for a few minutes, and then he takes off again. I come to full draw and follow him, but he never stops. He trots back up the hill about 100 yards and lets out a series of long drawn out grunts for a minute or so. Then slowly walks off.

I was hesitant to try to stop him myself to alarm him even more, and risk him jumping the string worse than what he would of, but it was quite a hunt despite the result.

I am letting this spot rest up, and depending on wind direction, I will hopefully slip in on Saturday.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Guys, sorry I've been pretty busy. I was gone a couple of days, I Flew out to Arizona for a job interview. I did get back into the bush yesterday and whacked another doe. I did see small 8 point, it actually was dogging another doe and chased my mortally wounded doe from her first bed. She died in the corn a few yards further away. I'm done with doe until after rut now... Time to focus on some Horn.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, I'm heading north on Sunday. I have to make my flight reservations and email the owner of one of my honey holes. Left a message for my hunting partner as well. He's always loaded with great spots. Besides, I have to borrow a climber from him since I'm flying up. Planning on hunting 3 days next week both morning and evening stands while going into the office for a few hours to keep the boss happy. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys you have harvested a deer this year are killing me. I am getting hungry for some tenderloins.

I was going to go hunt a river bottom stand since we finally had an east wind, but a heavy rainfall met me when I got off. Tomorrow I will be off at noon though, and we are supposed to be getting a SE wind so game on. This should be a dynamite spot, but I guess we will see. I have tomorrow and then Saturday to take a doe. I make a promise to myself I will not shoot a doe in November. I have had 3 hunts that almost ended with a mature buck on the ground, so I am feeling very optimistic about what these next 2 weeks hold. Just if I could get that damn corn out at our farm.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I've seen your hunting season illinois and it sucks. I passed up my shots I clearly had. I also have unlimited number of does I'm allowed to shoot and that includes not climbing down, dress the kill and check it in. It's empty your quiver on every antlerless deer you see. Then go find, recover and call them in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.