Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1) >

Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Hooter's Shooters Thread (1)

Old 10-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

GR8---I read your thread on the "other" site on Saturday. I never have really believed the old saying "Don't pass on the first day what you would shoot on the last day". Better to be patient and lean towards the side of caution than release an arrow at an animal you are unsure of. Good decision making on your part, and I believe that patience will pay off for you before it's over with.

With all the crops still in around here (I HATE RAIN!!!), I opted to head out to the big public land and get into the deep woods. I carried my Ameristep hang on and sticks in and got them set up in a funnel where 3 trails run into a tight 20 yard area. About 7 years ago me and my dad each killed wallhanger bucks here within 1 week of each other.

I was still getting my binos, rangefinder, etc. situated (bow is still on the ground), and I looked up the trail and here came 3 does not 1 minute after I climbed into the stand. I just let them walk instead of trying to get my bow up and missed my first crack at a deer this year. The rest of the night was filled with a few young bucks passing through and then 2 small does walking about 90 yards away.

Trail cams are not producing any shooters as the deer have pretty well came off the beans and are sticking pretty tight to the standing corn on the farm. I have a few key areas that I keep away until November, but might just have to break them out since they are very close to some of the corn. I am done working weekends though until early December, so I will be out every Saturday and Sunday until my vacation starts, and then the pressure is ON!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Guys, I had to breakdown and cried this weekend. I walked around my property looking for new places to put tree stands up. I'm only on 4.5 acres but have identified. I'm right on a corner lot in my neighborhood and its a great funnel place. Anyway, since I've been hurt, my neighbor thought he would help metrim back the tree on my first and favorite stand on my property. It was in a big oak tree with my 24' extention ladder. The stand itself was situated behind a holly tree that was awesome cover from a deer approaching any direction. It only needed a tiny trim. Well he cut the fricking thing down all the way. I'm pissed and shaking my head. I wonder if he'll get the message when I buy a new tree and replant it in the same spot.

Sorry, had to vent. Getting ready to hit it hard in two weeks. Going to hunt in Md again this year.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well the rain has FINALLY let up a bit. I was off work and ready to go out yesterday, but yet another downpour led me back inside to watch the Outdoor Channel. I took off at noon today and the rain has just let up. This ENE wind is kind of screwing me as well is the standing corn, but I'm going to give it a shot. The temp right now is in the low 40's and I'm hoping the deer will be up on their feet after being stuck in the rain all night.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry I haven't checked in guys...had a lot on my plate the last week. Wife found her gram passed Thursday afternoon, and little bro's wedding was Saturday. I found myself pretty busy until last night. Saw about 20 doe last night moving past my spot for the open field. No buck this time, but I know where they'll be when they're chasing. Good luck all.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got skunked tonight and I can't really believe it. Saw 2 turkeys and heard a deer blow on my way out about 200 yards away from the stand. I talked to the farmer today and he said he will be in the fields well into late November (about a month later than expected). I am going to be out this weekend and hitting it hard. The neighbor has a field already shelled so I'm going to make a phone call and see if he cares if I get in there somewhere. I'm willing to try anything right now to start seeing something, let alone a shooter.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yesterday morn saw a smallish 6 pt and 3 does..

I'm giving the area I saw the nice buck in the dark some time to cool off..I hunted that area morning evening and the following morning. That was all last weekend..I may let the area sit for a week, just to let any lingering entry/exit smell to clear the area..
Old 10-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been out hunting as quite a bit now.Havent seen anything within range but have seen 2 bucks a nice 8 and a 10.Hopefully soon the bucks will start moving before dark.
Cant hunt tomorrow as the young guy has hockey but you will be sure to see me out hunting all day Sunday.

My appologies for not being on lately.Once hunting season starts-lol-I am in the woods if I am not working.

Went out after work today and seen a doe,3 turkeys and a Fisher just under my stand.Good night out and the weather was real nice(0*C) the rain finally let up this week .Been raining for 2 weeks straight.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Anyone get out this weekend? Kind of a rainy weekend here in southwestern PA.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was ever SOOOO close tonight.

I hunted Saturday afternoon and then again this morning and afternoon. I have been having a real problem seeing deer, so I changed it up a little. Instead of trying to hunt areas close to the corn I moved way off of it about 300 yards. I usually stay out of this spot until November, but the wind was perfect and I just had to get in there. I know of 2 bucks that frequent this area. One is a 10 point I have on video hunting here last year, and I also saw him a week or so before season started eating acorns up here. The other is a stud 10 pointer who we have sheds of from last year, at which he scored in the 150's with an 18 inch spread.

I saw a 3 point at about 5 and he continued to walk right on by me. Right about the time shooting light was starting to fade, I looked up and 3 does were coming at me pretty quickly. I got ready and drew on the first doe. About the time I drew I caught more movement so I let up and saw the big 10 we have the sheds from. He was headed right towards me. He closed within 40 yards, but was facing right towards me. At this point the does were 20-25 yards past me, and he just took off right towards them at a trot. I drew on him and tried to stop him by whistling, bleating, yelling, anything but it didnt work. I was helpless at full draw watching a 160 class 10 pointer trot right by me at 10 yards.

I'm not sure if I spooked one of the does or what, but once they took off he picked the pace up and was gone. Pretty exciting and tough encounter, but it definantly has me pumped up now.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

It was a quiet weekend didn't see much ( 1 smallish buck..way off in the distance).. I'm trying to shake off a bit of cold.

Hope to get out for the Weds AM hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.