HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest-104/)
-   -   Official Team Surpass Thread (37) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2009-2010-bowhunting-contest/300915-official-team-surpass-thread-37-a.html)

iamyourhuckleberry 08-18-2009 04:27 PM

Official Team Surpass Thread (37)

Bring it on home Team Thirty Seven:

mbhutton
Rammer.....183"
kill_it_n_grill_it.....pending
Brent B
pjarrows.....65 1/8"
HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED.....90.35"
iamyourhuckleberry.....81 2/8"
ShawneeSlinger
youngfart.....used the wrong pin on his first good attempt. The arrow fell to the ground. Scored his first muley...112 1/8"
Rory/MO

Check-in, introduce yourself, and tell us what you wish to share about yourself.

My name is Will and I'm from the mile high state of Colorado. I've been bow hunting for 25 years now. I have killed a number of bucks (many different species). I shoot what seems appropriate for the area-I love diving into the unknown. I guess a few of my deer would make P&Y, but that's not why I hunt. I have killed deer in 19 different states-need to go back to three-on my quest for a mature deer in all 50. I'm leaving on September 5th for the Artic and will use traditional equipment on, hopefully, my 17th North American big game animal (musk ox). Moreover, I hope to someday complete SCI's World Hunting Award Program using archery tackle. I am 73 different species into that goal. I see plenty of does and a good buck in my future this year (I will be hunting six different states this year). Yes, I will hold out for a dandy! I look forward to meeting ya'll (at least via the internet) and sharing a wonder season filled with grand adventures! For me, it's all about the sharing!

youngfart 08-18-2009 06:58 PM

:guiness::throw::violin::biggrin::s6::rock::confus ed::s5::rant:

pjarrows 08-19-2009 04:41 AM

I am here, I am only hunting my home state of NY this year,

kill_it_n_grill_it 08-19-2009 07:46 AM

Checking in. My name is Brett, and this is my sixth year bowhunting. I have shot a few decent bucks, but I am still waiting for that big P&Y to walk under my stand. Had a few come close last year, but was unable to reel them in. I will be hunting in Iowa this year. Things are looking pretty promising for me. Planning on buying a climber to hunt out of this year to put myself in some better positions to nail the big one. I also like to duck, goose, and pheasant hunt.

Rammer 08-19-2009 08:03 AM

Rammer checking in here. I live in South Dakota. I have a few pope and young bucks under my belt. I've been archery hunting for 14 years now. I drew a once in a lifetime elk tag this year, so hopefully I will be getting myself a BIG bull elk with that. I have some serious bruisers running around on my property this year that I will post some pics up later as this thread gets going. My goal this year is for no buck smaller than 160" with my bow with the studs we have this year.

mbhutton 08-19-2009 11:22 AM

My name is Miles, I'm 30 years old, married with an 11month old boy, named Daxton, we call him Dax. I have been hunting for about 6 seasons now, I started when i moved here from New Zealand My family and I live in NW Alabama, I belong to a club that we are in the beginning stages of getting a good managment system in place. we have way to many does on our property and we have some good bucks, Finding them is gonna be the key, i will past some pics soon

shawneeslinger 08-19-2009 03:02 PM

My Name's Jeff. I hunt in W. Kentucky and Southern IL. Have bowhunted for 25 years or better. I'm looking forward to a pretty good year. 140'' is my standard this year. Have a bunch going on right at the moment, (mother-in-law passed away yesterday after a long battle with cancer) but as soon as I get back home in a few days I'll update a little better.

mbhutton 08-19-2009 03:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss, ShawneeSlinger

Rory/MO 08-19-2009 04:43 PM

I'm here. I'm Rory from Missouri. I'll be hunting Missouri this year. I killed a doe last year in my first serious year of bowhunting, but have lots of gunhunting experience. I plan on knocking down a good buck with the bow this year! Can't wait to win this thing with you guys!!

iamyourhuckleberry 08-19-2009 07:48 PM

Rammer,

What part of S.D. are you from? I'll be hunting near Spearfish.

Miles, what part of NZ? Man, I love NZ!

Jeff, yours are in my prayers

Rory, now that's the spirit! Let's take this thing!

Brett, I'm up to four preference points for Iowa. Someday.... best of luck this year!

PJ and Youngfart, good to have you lads on board.

This is going to be fun!

Rammer 08-19-2009 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry (Post 3413525)
Rammer,

What part of S.D. are you from? I'll be hunting near Spearfish.

Miles, what part of NZ? Man, I love NZ!

Jeff, yours are in my prayers

Rory, now that's the spirit! Let's take this thing!

Brett, I'm up to four preference points for Iowa. Someday.... best of luck this year!

PJ and Youngfart, good to have you lads on board.

This is going to be fun!

huckleberry, I am more towards the north central part of SD. I was just in Spearfish last week during the Sturgis bike rally. Some really beautiful country out there! Are you hunting whitetails there?

iamyourhuckleberry 08-20-2009 04:22 AM

Spearfish

Yes Rammer,

Whitetail and turkey. The area is loaded with toads! I have a couple of friends with property there (not really needed though, the people of S. Dakota are some of the friendly folks I have ever met. A simple "ask permission" seems to always work). The Spearfish region is also chalked full with tons of state and federal land. It makes hunting extremely easy. I hold out for and eight or better each year. It takes me about seven hours, one way each weekend, until I get my doe and buck. I love the country and I love the hunt. I'll be there Oct 3rd...

youngfart 08-20-2009 05:07 AM

Het Team #37:party0005:
Well I'm a young 54 and from Edmonton Alberta,I drive truck for a living and have 3 weeks booked off for my hunting pleasures. I'll be off starting the 11th of September for my Antelope and Mule deer combo hunt for 10 days in Southern Alberta. Then the long wait till mid November for 2 weeks for the rut starting around mid November for Whitetails and Moose.Best buck for me which means nothing is a 5x6 that scored 172 back some 14 years. I hunt 5 different properties that are as small as 40 acre parcells up to a few that are a section of land. What I look forward most of all from this contest is getting to know new freinds and sharing hunting stratagies. Great to finally get the ball moving on this contest and get hunting. Take care and God Bless.
Rocky:hit:

Rammer 08-20-2009 06:56 AM

huckleberry, sounds like you know the area well out there! Since you know the area, I can tell you about my once in a lifetime tag I drew in the state of SD. I drew Custer State Park Late Archery Elk, which opens Nov 21, after the rifle season. It will definately be one of the tougher hunts I've gone on.

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-20-2009 07:42 AM

Hey guys, sorry I'm late! I've been busy, so I haven't had a chance to get on here in a while! I have been bear hunting in the evenings since August 1st, still haven't got a bear, but got close! The ground is to dry to stalk within range.

So what state are you hunting this year? I live in Oregon and will be hunting in Oregon. There might be a chance I go to Idaho and try to get a buck there, but that would probably be with a rifle if I haven't got one down in Oregon with a bow by then.

Thanks again!

HHU

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-20-2009 07:46 AM

Oh yeah... I forgot to tell you one other thing, Next month I am going with my dad and brother to go antelope hunting in Wyoming, but that will be with rifles, we are allowed 2 antelope each, so thats gonna be fun! I thought I would warn you before I was just gone for a week! LOL!

Thanks again and talk to you guys soon!

iamyourhuckleberry 08-20-2009 01:55 PM

Welcome Home HHU!

Rammer,

I know exactly what you're talking about. Yours is a highly prized elk tag! The friend I'm staying with has a rifle tag this year for the same area. Can you believe, he and his brother both drew this year? They are gun hunters though. I will pump him for info since his hunt comes before yours. I'll help with whatever info I can gather.

Rocky, I will be through Edmonton right before Labor Day-maybe the sixth-on my way to Yellowknife. I did some moose hunting up in the Peace River region. What great country!

youngfart 08-20-2009 08:38 PM

Imyourhuckelberry
Should let me know what flight your on and we can meet at the airport for a coffee or a beer in the lounge while you wait for your conecting flight. Be neat to put a face to a name. I have met a few guys this way from this site. Let me know what you think.
Rocky:hail:

iamyourhuckleberry 08-21-2009 04:37 AM

Rocky,

I won't be going through the airport. I'll be hauling the mail in a big old pickup truck-leaving real early on the 6th. We (two of us) are going to try to make it all the way to Edmonton before we stop for the night. We figure it will be about a 15-16 hour drive. I would love to share a beer if we can make it happen.

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-21-2009 07:01 AM

Cool! Don't you have a lot of elk over there?

iamyourhuckleberry

My name is Will and I'm from the mile high state of Colorado.

iamyourhuckleberry 08-21-2009 11:15 AM

HHU,

Yes, Colorado has the largest elk herd in North America-some 350,000 and growing (unless, of course, Wyoming starts sharing their wolves with us. Sad thing happening there). Elk/deer/antelope/bear are annual hunts for me, and any one of you are welcome to join me. If I cannot hunt with you personally, I will at least point you in the right direct. I will also assist in any means possible to make your hunt here a complete success.

I will be in your neck of the woods Dec. 19th-21st. I'm going after my first Blacktail in Washington state. If I'm luck early, then I'll cross the border into Oregon for a try at a buck there. It would be awesome to get two deer/two states out of the way in a single three day period. I know the wife would love it...women anyway...LOL

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-21-2009 11:25 AM

Really! Thats cool! We are headed out to Wyoming next month to chase antelope around with the guns. The guy we are going with shoots both his antelope every year within the first day! I can't wait for that. Do you ever hunt Wyoming for antelope? That question is for anyone on the team! I would like to know more about it!

iamyourhuckleberry,
So do you hunt elk with a bow or rifle over there? I was standing outside yesterday and heard the first elk bugle of the year, it was about 500 yards from our house! There season opens SOON! For archery in Oregon... I think the rut is starting to kick in, what time does it normally start in CO?

Rammer 08-21-2009 12:03 PM

Hoghunting - Friendship accepted!

Anyone else getting the waterfowling bug this year? Our early season starts the first weekend in September and I just added 5 more dozen decoys to my spread last nite, and just got my trailer all organized ready to rock!

Don't worry, I will have the waterfowl bug till archery season opens the last weekend in September...haha

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-21-2009 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rammer (Post 3415391)
Hoghunting - Friendship accepted!

Anyone else getting the waterfowling bug this year? Our early season starts the first weekend in September and I just added 5 more dozen decoys to my spread last nite, and just got my trailer all organized ready to rock!

Don't worry, I will have the waterfowl bug till archery season opens the last weekend in September...haha

Cool!

I love waterfowl hunting! Its on the top 5 favorite things to hunt for me! Our season opens in mid October I think, and ends in March... I think.. LOL! I will have to read the regs again... Pheasant hunting is another fun one! You never know when they are gonna fly up!

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-21-2009 03:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
just some of the things I have gotten in the past few years... Click on the pictures to make them full sized.

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-21-2009 03:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
a few more... All of these were from Oregon except the whitetail, that was in Idaho.

Rammer 08-21-2009 09:13 PM

Nice going there Hog!

youngfart 08-22-2009 07:15 AM

:happy0001: Hog
Nice collection for a young fella,now can you start the same feat over with a bow?:confused0024:. This can be your next challenge as a hunter ,what do you say ??:confused0024: Best of luck with anything to do with a hunting challenge that life has to offer.:wink: God Bless
Rocky

youngfart 08-22-2009 08:38 AM

:wave:Team #37
We need to start brainstorming a name for our team, so start submitting names guys and we'll vote on it as a team.
Rocky

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-22-2009 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by youngfart (Post 3415970)
:happy0001: Hog
Nice collection for a young fella,now can you start the same feat over with a bow?:confused0024:. This can be your next challenge as a hunter ,what do you say ??:confused0024: Best of luck with anything to do with a hunting challenge that life has to offer.:wink: God Bless
Rocky

HAHA I've been at it with a bow for a few years now, last year I had a nice 4x4 probably a 120 incher, come right under my stand and when he got to about 8 yards away, I drew my bow back, and waited for him to turn broadside. As soon as he did, I put my top pin right smack where the heart should have been and pulled the trigger to my release! But the string got held up in the corner of where the release holds the string cause it was a cheap thing that I got at walmart and it was squared off inside... If you can't get the picture, I will have to find a picture of one of them... Anyways I hit about 4 inches in front of the buck and he ran off perfectly fine!:nonono2: Better than wounding him though! I bet you can guess, I got a new release that doesn't have that problem... I'm not a horrible shot either... I won a $850 mathews DXT last year in a shooting contest, so anyways, that shouldn't happen this year! Hopefully not!

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-22-2009 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rammer (Post 3415766)
Nice going there Hog!

Thanks! Do you hunt those type animals too?

Rammer 08-22-2009 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED (Post 3416119)
Thanks! Do you hunt those type animals too?

I hunt every species under the sun. :) I haven't had the opportunity to hunt any of the bears yet, that is on my list in the next few years. I've been concentrating all my efforts on elk the last few years trying to get a big bull with my bow. The elk tag I drew this fall is a pretty good tag with the chance of arrowing a once in a lifetime bull, so hopefully that works out!

You said you liked pheasant hunting, I run a pheasant hunting guide service here in South Dakota, and we harvest around 3000 pheasants a year.

I didn't draw a rifle antelope tag this season, so in about a month or so when the rut gets going, I am going after prairie maggots with the bow in hand, since I haven't done that for a few years now. Which will also be a spot an stalk muley opportunity as well.

Here's a pic of some of the sheds I found this spring and a few dead bucks:

Last day of pheasant season I decided to pull out a shotgun and shoot a few for myself.

My muley from last fall after a blizzard that shut down half the state:

A pair of locked up bucks I had trail camera photos of that I found while pheasant hunting during the peak of the rut:

The buck I entered in the contest last year:

The antelope my hunting buddy and I got last fall:

youngfart 08-22-2009 12:47 PM

Rammer
Did you a few years back venture out to Idaho to hunt Elk with Troy? Your name sounds familier from the hunt he had some team mates out on a Elk hunt. Nice lope you got there ,was he with a rifle? Whitetail aint to shabby either congrats on your hunts and you have 2 good looking dogs to boot.

Hog
I hunt and have harvested Elk ,moose ,whitetail, mulies,bear and antelope all with a bow ,tried with a rifle but having been a sniper in the Airbourne I found it not very challenging when you can take down a Mulie at 320 yards with open sights with an ole 303. LOL. That's why I hunt only with a bow. :cool2:
Rocky

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-22-2009 01:20 PM

Dang! Thats a lot of pheasant!!!!! Man, thats a lot of sheds too! Do your dogs help find those or do you find all of them by your self? Those are some BIG labs you got there! They are labordor retreavers arn't they? Nice buck you got there with your bow! thats Nice mule deer! those are some big antelope! Was that in South Dakota? Sorry for all the questions! LOL!

Rammer 08-22-2009 10:43 PM

Youngfart, I have been to Idaho elk hunting but it wasn't with anyone on this board. I was out there last fall. The antelope were shot with rifles on public ground in South Dakota.

Hog, the lab sniffing the antlers in the picture does help me finding sheds. I take them both but my young'in there is the only one that really picks 'em up for me.

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-23-2009 07:56 AM

Thats cool! What do those things weigh? We have a couple labs, and they are just over 100 pounds, but yours look HUGE compared to ours!

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-23-2009 08:00 AM

I set up a trail camera yesterday and saw 5 deer, and heard 3 others run off without me seeing them, so hopefully the camera I set up gets pictures off them! I saw a forked horn out of the 5 that were in a herd, but he was pretty small... Its nice cause its only like 500 yards from the house! There are also a lot of elk right up in there, so we'll see how things go...

Rammer 08-23-2009 08:40 AM

My young lab weighs around 87lbs and the old one is around 105. We had to have my old dogs man hood removed last fall and ever since then he has been putting on weight and we can't stop it. Both those dogs get run anywhere from 1.5-3 miles a day in the off season.

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-23-2009 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rammer (Post 3416800)
My young lab weighs around 87lbs and the old one is around 105. We had to have my old dogs man hood removed last fall and ever since then he has been putting on weight and we can't stop it. Both those dogs get run anywhere from 1.5-3 miles a day in the off season.

Man, they must be tall! HAHA We have a chocolate lab that had the same thing done, and he must have double in width within a year! He could weigh 110 by now! LOL! I'll have to post a picture of him.

HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED 08-23-2009 11:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And here he is! The laziest dog in the west!