Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Surpass Thread (37) >

Official Team Surpass Thread (37)

2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Surpass Thread (37)

Old 11-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks youngfart! Actually its a blacktail... They are the same thing but sitka blacktails are a little bit smaller and they live up in Alaska and Candada. I got this guy in Oregon.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go fellas!!! It is good to see everyone out and having luck.

I have a story of my own. I redeemed myself from a few weeks ago.

We were out combining yesterday evening and my brother called me on the 2-way radio and said some deer came out in front of him. So I turned around in the grain cart and saw a buck that I thought was in the 150s. I didn't have any binoculars along and I could see it had 2 stickers, so I decided it was game on. I called my dad up and told him to bring my pickup out to the field so I could grab my bow and archery gear out of it. I got my gear thrown on an headed down the corn field in the standing corn. I got straight out from the buck (he had a very hot doe with him) and he was oblivious to my presence, I slowly crept to the last row of corn between me and him. I pulled my laser ranger out of my pocket and it was the first real good look I took at his rack. My rangefinder told me he was 41 yards, and I lowered it back down to my pocket and went to clip my release on my loop, it took a few tries as I was starting to shake pretty good at this point.

I drew back un-detected and settled my 40 yard pin and let my arrow go. It was as if my arrow was in slow motion as I watched it soar towards my buck; then I watched it crash home right where I wanted it. The buck jumped and went back to tending to his doe, she started to trot off so he started to follow her at a medium paced walk. Fifty yards into his walk he laid down, then in one last effort he got back up and made it another 40 yards or so before expiring.

This is what I walked up to. Needless to say I was surprised to find out my 150" deer miraculously grew when he hit the ground....

I grossed him at 183"
Old 11-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Ho Ho Ho Rammer!!
You da man Ram,that is one awesome looking buck my friend. Love his colours and the thick beams better make that a hand shake. Your deserving of it Ram ,Dang that is a cool looking deer. Congrats to you and make sure you let us see him after he's done at the taxidermist. Wowzer,can't wait till Thursday to get here.
Rocky
PS most people in their lifetime don't even encounter an animal of his size Ram
Old 11-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rocky - Thank you for the support! I am really glad that I didn't realize how big he actually was, I'm not sure if I could have made the shot if I would have known! haha

It took me about 6 hours after the fact to stop shaking last nite and I got the jitters again this morning when I loaded him up to take to my taxidermist.

To make my story even better last year I missed this very same buck, in the same field with my rifle 3 times. Last year I figured he was a 160" deer or so, and I never did figure out how I missed him. I think it was fate doing its job! This was also the first time I've seen this buck since last year when I missed him, and I shot him within a mile of my house.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the story fellas. I went hunting Saturday morning and only saw a single doe that was well out of range. On my way out of the woods I pulled my SD card out of the trail cam. I hooked it up to the computer as soon as I got home and I saw a few things on it. I had pictures of one decent 6, a pictures of a very tall 10, and pictures of my parents neighbor! I was not very happy about that. So Sunday around noon I got ready and headed to my parents property. The neighbor happened to be outside and I had a little chat with him telling him that he is not supposed to be on there walking around or hunting. My dad has kicked him off of the property a few times and told him that he had no business there. So after the chat, I started my slow walk to my stand. I get back to it, and I look to my left and there is a bedded buck laying under it. I don't know if he was exhausted from breeding or what his deal was. I was about 20 yards away from him and he grunts and snorts and started getting to his feet. Since it is rut, I wasn't going to take any chances of getting charged and I shot him. It wasn't the greatest shot since I was shaking pretty bad, but it was a low lung hit. So I hightail it out of the woods and tell my mom and dad what happened. I waited at there house for about an hour then went back down there. When I found him, he was still alive but wasn't getting up. I have no idea how this was possible. So I knocked another arrow and put one right through both lungs. He expired not even a minute later. This was truely and experience I will never forget.

Here is another picture of him when I got him home. My lab Moose wasn't too sure what to think of him!

Official Team Surpass Thread (37)-rsz_img_0320.jpg

Last edited by kill_it_n_grill_it; 11-17-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

Kill it and Grill it

Wow! Sounds like lady luck was on your side bud, Great read and again Congrats.
Rocky
Old 11-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks fellas! It seems to me like we could get ourselves in the running to win this thing!

Congrats to you hog! Those blacktails sure look neat!

And Rammer..... All I have to say is WOW! Congrats to you too!

Lets keep it up guys!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks a freaking beast Rammer! Nice job!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok guys, let me know if I did this right...

Inside spread 11 1/8"
Left Right
base of antler 3 7/8" 3 6/8"
Main beam 10 4/8" 10 1/8
G1 5 3/8" 5 2/8"
= 50" x 1.39= 69 4/8"
Old 11-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Talking

Hoghunting
You need to measure each beam for length from tip to base of antler, then each length for both p1's,you also get a measurement at the base and above both p1's. So your missing 4 more measurements. You need to get your inside spread from the base of the left and the right p1's. That's all I see your missing.
Rocky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.