Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Surpass Thread (37) >

Official Team Surpass Thread (37)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Surpass Thread (37)

Old 09-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, my travel partner and I left Yellowknife, NWT, Canada on Satuarday @ 4:30pm. What a drive! I arrived home this morning @ 5:30. I dropped gear and drove straight to work; I was there for a full day at 8:00am. Needless to say, it has been one heck of a day. I thought I'd share though before I turn in.

I was lucky enough to bag a SCI gold medal Greenland Muskoxen on Victoria Island, NWT this past Wendnesday. I'll give ya'll the fast and easy version (I'm seriously spent) tonight. You will have to wait for the full story and photos . I do promise, they're coming.

The 53 pound traditional long bow proved ineffective against these monsters. I drilled a nice bull from 25 yards with a well placed arrow. Do you know that white fiber stuff they place inside bag targets to stop arrows? Well, imagine something like that on a muskox. My arrow had to go through 12 inches of wool (littered with dirt and grim), a half inch of thick artic skin, four inches of shoulder meat, and two inches of rib bone to find home. It made it to the ribs....that's all the penetration I got! I watched in disbelief as the beast trotted off with my arrow. With binocs in hand, I watch the arrow fall to the ground when the oxen was like a quarter mile away. I dash to the spot for my quickest ever CSI arrow examination. I had a mere three to three and a half inches of blood up my shaft. I quickly unslung my compound (it was hanging on my back-the beauty of shooting the PSE X-Force Super Short) and gave pursuit. The oxen was now another quarter mile in front of me. From thirty yards, my SS placed a money shot! The bull was dead within 15 seconds. And still, with this 74 pound super fast delivery system, my arrow only buried thirteen inches. Muskoxen are tough creatures! Enjoy these for now!

The oxen with the second arrow. Notice the penetration.

The beast:

Old 09-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Huckleberry!!!! That is quite a feat right there, can't wait to hear all the details from the trip.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

That's awesome. I am really looking forward to the rest of the story.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Well done, congrats dude
Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone heard from Rocky? I'm curious how he's doing with the deer in Alberta!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds too me like it was a pretty good time for you huck! Congrats on the ox! I really wish I had the time and the money to go and do that kind of thing! Right now it seems like all my money and time is getting dumped into my house. I think I need to find myself a sugar momma that makes more money than I do!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to mention that I went and pulled the SD card out of my trail cam on Saturday. I am starting to get some bone on cam! I have a few on there that are about a year shy of being nice bucks, and one that looks like a shooter. Its hard to tell exactly how big he is because he isn't real close to the cam and it is an early morning picture, but he looks pretty wide and tall when I zoom in on the picture. I guess I will see two weeks from today!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Will
Great to see you succeded and got your Oxen, can't wait to hear the story. My HUnt for lopes and southern mulies went brutal!!! Why you say??? LMAO I've never had the problem of having to hunt when it's hot,and I mean hot,I lost 15lbs in 5 days.
Actually drew on a 140ish mulie that took me 2 hours to get too, then another 2 hour wait till he stood up at 12 yards ,I decided to pass. That I will have to be able to put up with for the rest of the year and am actually having a hard time eating tag soup on him.
The killer was my lope, after having stalked 31 tries and cursing the dang sun and heat,I actually was getting closer than the usal 100 yards I was getting used too.. Actully I wasn't getting used to it. Anyways I started out at 400 yards away and proceeded to cross the open flats our southern province is famous for. 2 Hours later I was with in 100 yards and I just about gave up then as I was soaked right through from my small 20 yard yaunts.
Well The last 100 yards I skidded along on my ass and hands with my bow in front of me ,now no longer with my lope decoy. Yeah go ahead ,cry me a tune,LMAO. Well after closing another 40 yards and thinking if only I can get another 20 ,then I can try a shot.Ranged him at 73 yds and up stands the doe and just as she stood I got bit on my butt as I was dragging it. By what ??? I was to scared to look,well I reached back and thought I just got bit on my fingers. Dang cactus the size of a bottle cap was logged in my crack. Wow! I have the doe looking straight at me and a brutal pain searing in my butt. I reach back and actually feel like Im prying it out of my butt.
Doe beds back down looking away from me know!! NOw I make tracks and pull out the range finder and it says 46yds. I dra
w and whistle, they both stand ,he turns broadside ,Like it was for me!!!!!!! I touch my release and watch it it go underneath of him. I was pissed man, I took of my coat which was soaked right through.Threw it on the ground and laid my bow down and re ranged the spot he was on.
Man he only scooted 20 yards away and they were both looking at me like what did I just do ,LMAO. Well my quiver was 70 yards back so I walk back to it and pick it up and walk back.All the time they kept starring at me, DAWwww. Just for a laugh I reach down and take out another arrow all the time knowing they'll bolt before I can get it strung. Nope it didn't happen.
I range them again and this time I'm standing. it reads 64 yrds. I draw and release and watch the arrow fly to the right of him and he takes another few steps. I've had it now ,flames were comming out of my butt, so In desperation I string another arrow and fling it at 70yards and it went over his back and they then bolted as it sounded close to his back as it went over him.
I gave it my best shot as an individule and found out that it's always better as a couple when hunting Antelope. It was easy when my bud was here last time. Some will say why not sit close to a watering hole,well this year they for some reason had water every where. I actually did sit 1/2 a day by a watering favorite spot but to no avail. I packed up yesterday morning and drove the 6 hours north and made it on time for my daughters 25 th bday, boy was she delighted to see her ole man.
What I found out on this trip was I could actually stock a deer with out much of a problem and really enjoyed the challenge. It was a great hunt and I know what to expect next time I head south for lopes and mulies. Hope I didn't boar you on the long story. Tonight I'll head out for a shot a one our great whitetails were noted for having up here in the bow zone.

Rocky
Old 09-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rocky,

Sounds like you had a hunt you won't soon forget even though you are having tag soup....

I've been so busy with work lately I haven't had time to do much. I got my brother to take over for me around 2 today combining, so I went an got some trail cameras out in a few different spots, and got a few treestands pulled and will probably get them put up in their new spots tomorrow or sunday.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet story Rocky (my oxen story is in the bowhunting forum, by the way)! Antelope are such a challenge to stalk-I wouldn't have it any other way. You get him next year!

Do you get a mule deer tag and a white-tailed deer tag? Down here, we get a single tag for the year.

Anyway, great read my friend. it was awesome meeting you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.