Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Turkey Bowhunting Contest
 TEAM 16 - FINAL CUTT CHECK IN.... >

TEAM 16 - FINAL CUTT CHECK IN....

Community

TEAM 16 - FINAL CUTT CHECK IN....

Old 04-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TEAM 16 CHECK IN....

Hey guys, I'm checkin in. Season opens next weekend (4/12) in VA where I do my hunting. Unfortunately it 5 hrs from home, but I plan to get down there for a few long weekends. We;ve been seein them up home too, so I might manage that a few morns.

This will be my wife's first year of gobbler chasin, so I may not get much time behind the bow, but I'll do my best.

Watched 2 toms struttin last weekend... its gettin good.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

HuntingEdhas been added to your team as an ALT. Good Luck guys
Good to know. Thanks Kyle. Welcome Ed!!! Good to have another member!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome Ed, make yourself at home.

TO,I see you understand. It's a weakness I have.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

HuntingEdhas been added to your team as an ALT. Good Luck guys
Welcome aboard Ed. Glad to have you on the team. Do Virginia proud (...just do you best and that wil be fine).
Old 04-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, Gonna shoot a bunch this week... havnt shot much since deer season ended in jan.

Gettin pumped.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

I have a new hunting partner,took a neighbors kid on his firstyouth turkey hunt today. After waiting for some severe thunderstorms to pass at 6:45 we were walking to our first setup it was a bust. 1 tom 3 jakes and 4 hens roosted last night went in the wrong direction this morning. Second setup 3 jakes came gobbling their heads off from about 100yds out,we got our first look at them at 25yds but they were behind some brush still coming in. Jarred and I were setup a little awkward in a stump pile with his back to my shoulder. He was shaking like a leaf in the autumn wind,I was whispering in his ear trying to calm and coach him. I let the birds clear the brush a couple yards then while he tracked the lead bird with the gun,just as I whispred take him Jarred's tired and trembling hand slipped on the shooting stick dropping the barrel about 6 inches. All 3 birds now at 15yds came to attention and froze. I whispered pick one and take him but Jarred's adrenilin soaked arm was a noodle as he fired a load of #5's just in front of the nearest bird's feet. My new best friend turned and said "Dang I missed but this is awsome." After about an hour cool down for my buddy I asked was he ready. He said "Not to go home." Third setup lone jake with 5 hens 500yds out, after some sweet talk on a Mountanside-Raspy Mtn Cutter he broke away from his girls in a dead run toward us. We were setup in a little pocket 10yds off the side of the field , our eager prey came 485yds only to lock up behind a bush(no shot) then he turned and walked away. I don't know what spooked him,I don't think it was us but my shooter handled it like a pro. Fourth setup we decided to do a little blind calling on the edge of a large pasture. After about 20 min we spotted 2 white noggins coming over a rise 80yds out then they droped back out of sight. Then the threatning skies opened up a small downpour,after 30-45min of soaking rain my now vetran hunting partner told me he was getting cold. I stood up to check,the birds were still there. I told my buddy this is your hunt you call the shots. He said "We'll leave them for next time" As the downpour soaked us on the 1/2 mi walk to the truck I agreed with him,next time! On the ride to his house he thanked me and said"I'm wet,I'm cold,I'm tired and I'm ready to go again as soon as I get dried and warm. Turn the heater on please." Had him home at 12:00 the rain continued so we ended a great day chasing turkeys.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story NC.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 PM

Hey guys got my Kansas turkey! First one ever and first animal I've ever shot witha bow.

25lbs 12oz
3/4 in spurs
9 7/8 inch beard

I'm on the left. Dad on the right.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go Fred,nice bird. Nothing like sticking one. Been slow here haven't heard a gobble since youth day,hunted Sat. and this afternoon.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird fred!

I came real close this weekend guys, they were behind a bush and I couldnt get a clear shot...

going back in two weeks to try again.

Quick Reply: TEAM 16 - FINAL CUTT CHECK IN....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.