HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2008 Indoor Leagues (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2008-indoor-leagues-93/)
-   -   Fat Shafts (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2008-indoor-leagues/233560-fat-shafts.html)

Sliverflicker 02-19-2008 07:03 PM

Fat Shafts

There is a meeting of the minds going on in Vegas this week and word is Fat Shafts are out, nothing bigger than a size 23 will be allowed at national shoots as of June.

And for those of us who just baught some

GMMAT 02-19-2008 07:06 PM

RE: Fat Shafts

My thinking is.......there's a LOT of shoots that rely on the $$ from the mfr's to stay afloat.

I don't think they;ll cut the hand off that feeding them with a chainsaw. Maybe a butter knife (over time)....but I'm betting making them illegal THIS year is not gonna happen.

My guess is I'll lose or break the 12 I just got today before they become illegal;)

Rick James 02-19-2008 07:28 PM

Jeff, I don't think you will have anything to worry about unless you plan to go to nationally sanctioned NFAA competition. Likely any 3D organizations that will follow will not put these into effect until the 09 season anyhow, they won't likely make a change mid season.

If the 3D and Indoor/Field organizations do make them illegal, watch GT make some absolutely fantastic leaps and bounds in technology now that they can invest some real $$$ into tool sets without the worry of a newer bigger size from a competitor pushing the envelope, with them being forced to play "catch up" with their R&D dollars. I'm betting if we see all of these changes come into effect for 09' we will see GTcome out with a 23 series aluminum/carbon with their pin nock components.........then we will have arrows with superior tolerances of aluminum, durability of carbon, and more than likely to spine better than most of the fat carbons that are out there now. I've got my fingers crossed.

GMMAT 02-19-2008 07:34 PM

I have 12 30X Pros that haven't even been cut yet......and I'm not worried in the least....lol

mobow 02-19-2008 07:54 PM

Yeah, they can decide that all they want. I'm not shooting in Vegas anyways....LOL

Sliverflicker 02-19-2008 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

My thinking is.......there's a LOT of shoots that rely on the $$ from the mfr's to stay afloat.

I don't think they;ll cut the hand off that feeding them with a chainsaw. Maybe a butter knife (over time)....but I'm betting making them illegal THIS year is not gonna happen.

My guess is I'll lose or break the 12 I just got today before they become illegal;)
It's not something they just come up with Jeff, the 25's been around since the 80's and have been an issue since their introduction. With the 26's and 27's the last few years and someone showing up at a shoot this year with a carbon arrow shaft that measured a full 5/8 of an inch which means if you shoot an inside 10 ring you got a X, they had to make a size limit. It's a good ruling, makes the playing field even.

And thats a good point you brought up, I had also heard through the grapevine that Easton would pull their sponsorship if this happened, but that would be like cutting their own throats, well have to wait and see what happens.

I just fletched me up some 2512 Cobalts, Have not even shot them yet! I knew it was comming sooner or later, I just thought it was later.

Sliverflicker 02-19-2008 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Jeff, I don't think you will have anything to worry about unless you plan to go to nationally sanctioned NFAA competition. Likely any 3D organizations that will follow will not put these into effect until the 09 season anyhow, they won't likely make a change mid season.

If the 3D and Indoor/Field organizations do make them illegal, watch GT make some absolutely fantastic leaps and bounds in technology now that they can invest some real $$$ into tool sets without the worry of a newer bigger size from a competitor pushing the envelope, with them being forced to play "catch up" with their R&D dollars. I'm betting if we see all of these changes come into effect for 09' we will see GTcome out with a 23 series aluminum/carbon with their pin nock components.........then we will have arrows with superior tolerances of aluminum, durability of carbon, and more than likely to spine better than most of the fat carbons that are out there now. I've got my fingers crossed.
We have plenty of time to tear up what arrows we have.
But you must expect for state and even local shoots to follow.
Great point Matt, it will be interesting to see who tries to come out with the best 23 series arrow now that the fat shafts will be phased out of the picture.

SCBigBuckHunter 02-20-2008 09:20 AM

They had an Emergency meeting and revoted to do away with the size restriction rule. It lasted all of a couple hours. A sponser flexed its muscle and the NFAA bowed down.

MO_Bowhnter 02-20-2008 09:32 AM

I wonder who that sponser was...cough...EASTON...cough.

Sliverflicker 02-20-2008 10:18 AM

What a joke that turned out to be.