2008 Indoor Leagues Enjoy some off-season archery fun by participating in one of our Indoor Shooting Leagues.

3D/Target guys....Fitness

Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default 3D/Target guys....Fitness

I noticed in my 3D shoot saturday....that I was huffing and puffing when I got to some of the stakes. I'm on the treadmill 5 days a week right now.....but I've got a ways to go.

I know Matt/PA lost a ton of weight (OK....maybe not a ton....but 40#'s???) this past year (kudos, Matt). I also know that shooting 45 times with a compound bow will take it out of you.

So....how important (in terms of tangible things we can track - scores) do you think maintaining good physical conditioning is to your scores (both 3D and paper)? Care to hazard a guess at the number?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 3D/Target guys....Fitness

You scare me sometimes.. I was just thinking, as I was carrying this steel bar at work. If I held this extended(like a bow) for periods of time, it would have to increase my steadiness after a period of time.

Funny we mold everything to relate toshooting or hunting...
Old 01-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I have 2.5# weights in my office that I do "cans" with on a pretty regular basis (an exercise a lot of pitchers use in baseball to strengthen their small shoulder muscles).

I have terrible shoulders. I had the bow arm shoulder scoped in '99 after a slap lesion and a 50% tear of my super spinatus tendon. It's a LOT better than the right one, though. They removed a type III bone spur in the left, also.....and I'm sure I have the same condition in my right.

I would NEVER suggest anyone lift anything over 5lbs. with their small shoulder muscles, though. If that bar is less than that.....I'd say you were spot on. It's also notable that any exercise done with one shoulder should be duplicated with the other.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know. To be honest, I'm not in great shape right now (gotta work on that) and probably 50% of the people I know that are truly outstanding shooters are in terrible shape. Don't get me wrong, I can hike around without getting too winded, and shoot very well on the up/down hill courses we have around here (some are brutal mountain courses), but as long as your at least at that level of fitnessI don't think it matters much. I know alot of people hate "in it to win it" type of guysin 3D, but honestly my folding stool/backpack I bring to any 3D shoot where it's busy so I can relax and rest while waiting to get on the stake is invaluable. It's so nice to just sit down and relax for a minute or two while waiting for my shot, instead of getting fatigued by standing around all day in the hot sun, I honestly think this give me an advantage.

When it comes to just pure shot execution, just purely indoors shooting, I don't think it has anything to do with it. The two guys leading my local league (both have shot back to back clean 450 games for 2 weeks straight with X counts between 38-41x's), are both at least 60-70lbs overweight. The one has got to be 320+lbs at 6'1" or so.........
Old 01-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't worry too much Gmmat..I'm an ex Gym Rat myself. I know the ins and outs.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Good eal, GR8. I am FAR from a gym rat.....at least since I got out of college ball.

Hey Matt....

but honestly my folding stool/backpack I bring to any 3D shoot
I ordered one of these, Sunday
Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

58lbs last count and I've probably packed on 6-8lbs of muscle as well. Thanks for noticing. LOL
278 down to a current 220.

I can tell you with certainty that my working out and overlal physical fitness gains are helping my 3D shooting.
I'm not winded after getting to an uphill target, and I seem to be holding much steadier overall.
Some of it might be attributied to shooting traditional bows although I'm not sure?
All I know is that my shooting feels as good or better than ever.

I hit it pretty hard 3-4 days a week in the basement but it's nothing anyone couldn't do........a simple full upper body resistance excercise routinenot really with archery in mind but I know archery is benefitting.

I typically just do a 3 cycle routine of sets of various exercises.(And trust me I had to work UP to this )
First set:
65-70 push-ups
30 sit-ups
12 pull-ups (flat handed on my steel Ibeam in the basement
20 dips
100 fast count on the heavy bag
20 side shoulder raises with 2 block targets.
30 dumbell curls (not sure of weight but it's pretty heavy?)
100 count jump rope

I do this 3 times and the only thing that varies is that I'll burn out on push-ups on the next 2 sets at around 55-60 and then 50-55 for the 3rd
And pull ups at about 10 and 8 good ones respectively, the rest remains the same.

I start running as soon as the weather gets above - 35 degrees here.

Archery was not my intention when I started this process back in June 2007 but it's a heck of a nice side benefit and I'm confident it will give me a leg up in the serious shoots this spring and summer.
I can already tell my back doesn't get tired like it used to after 20-30 targets.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Matt:

I'm betting the pushups and heavy bag drills are REALLY helping you to hold steadier. Great shoulder exercises.

Kudos on the fitness kick. Impressive.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good point, Jeff. When I retook the bowhunter safety course for New York last year, the instructor made a point of talking about fitness. His argument was that you owe it to your prey to be able to hike over a hill, boot it down a trail or climb into your stand and be able to make a clean shot on the spot. Huffing and puffing is certainly not going to give you a clean shot.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

As a side note and observation..I've often thoughtif you could make an AB device that worked your stomach like a using a climber does. WOW !! Would that baby sell.

Quick Reply: 3D/Target guys....Fitness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.