HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2008 Indoor Leagues (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2008-indoor-leagues-93/)
-   -   447/20x Vegas game! (OK...I'll come clean) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2008-indoor-leagues/227667-447-20x-vegas-game-ok-ill-come-clean.html)

GMMAT 01-17-2008 06:04 AM

447/20x Vegas game! (OK...I'll come clean)

I shot it from 10 yds, last night.:eek:[&:]

Matt told it was good practice....and I agree.

Now....if you were me.....would you make a sight adjustment? I'm thinking I need to tweak it just a hair. I'm cautious to mess with it.....but I think it needs a liitle windage and a little "up" tick (I have no idea of the technical term for this:eek:....but I do mean to adjust my gang down).

Would you mess with it? And yeah....the same guy that shot the other shots shot "that one":D.

rybohunter 01-17-2008 06:20 AM

RE: 447/20x Vegas game! (OK...I'll come clean)

Nice target holders:D

Is it dead on at 20 for shooting the main league? I wouldn't touch it if it is.

GMMAT 01-17-2008 06:45 AM

I don't know, Rybo. It's darned close, though....because my scores have surprised me.

My question is....."how" could it be dead on at 20.....and be shooting a hair low at 10? Is that a good question?

Rick James 01-17-2008 07:23 AM

Jeff:

I would probablynot adjust a pins type sight for 10 yard games. It's going to be too much of a PITA to readjust for 20 yard games with a pins type sight. Just MHO. I think your still getting the benefits of that 10 yard game without adjusting the sight for it, you now are getting more comfortable with pounding the middle out of that target and it's probably allowing you to have a more relaxed "soft" aim.

It doesn't surprise me you shot a bit low. Keep in mind, the angle from you to the target is probably much steeper at 10 yards and this can change quite a few things including your anchor point, etc. It's a bit unusual, but it's hard to tell without seeing you.

If you really want to get the bow dead on sighted in for 20 yards, this is an old field archery trick:

Take a piece of tape, and place it completely vertical (checking it with a level). Shoot at just that piece of tape, and adjust the sight until your hitting that tape every time at 20 yards, absolute middle of the tape on your good shots. Now repeat with a piece of tape that is perfectly horizontal, and adjust yourelevation till it's doing the same. You will get much more accurate results sighting in your bow this way when just shooting for and adjusting for one thing at a time, as compared to just aiming at a dot and trying to hit the middle.

Once your sighted in for one plane, and then sighted in for the other, recheck the first plane you sighted in for.

Edit - I also use this method for sighting in my 3D bow, for each individual pin. Obviously windage should be set after the first pin but I recheck with each individual pin as well to make 100% sure my centershot is on.

Gundeck 01-17-2008 07:30 AM

GMMAT, just FYI, horizontal adjustment is windage (as you noted) and vertical adjustment is elevation.

gzg38b 01-17-2008 01:52 PM

GMMAT I'm darn impressed with your shooting in this league. You've been working hard and it shows. ;)

GMMAT 01-17-2008 01:59 PM

I appreciate it qzq......but you'd be surprised how easy a 10yd game is. To me it's a confidence builder. It also beats shooting blank bale shots.....and that's why I did it, last night. Back to the boring, tonight.

You wanna see something funny.....I'm gonna post up a 10 yd lonbow game in a few days!:D

Thanks, Gundeck!

Rob/PA Bowyer 01-18-2008 05:47 PM

I'm surprised your low Jeff, I'm about a Hmth shy of 1" high at 10 yards using my 20 yard pin with every bow I've ever shot. Gotta be a reason, your 20 yards scores seems like your on.:)

GR8atta2d 01-21-2008 06:02 AM

OK how do you guys do the 10 Yard practice? I know your new bows are faster than my 05 Ally.

My first shot went through my Block hitting the cement wall and mushrooming the end of the shaft as the tip drove back into the arrow [:@]. So I got a my second Block and put it behind the target. And the arrows stopped, but the tips didn't and popped them right off..(Guess they weren't glued Matt?) I had to dig them out of the block.

Rick James 01-21-2008 06:06 AM

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

OK how do you guys do the 10 Yard practice? I know your new bows are faster than my 05 Ally.

My first shot went through my Block hitting the cement wall and mushrooming the end of the shaft as the tip drove back into the arrow [:@]. So I got a my second Block and put it behind the target. And the arrows stopped, but the tips didn't and popped them right off..(Guess they weren't glued Matt?) I had to dig them out of the block.
I don't know, I shot at least 50 rounds with those arrows just like that, so I'm not sure. Sometimes when the glue holding a point in gets older, it gets brittle and an impact can break that seal in there causing it to come loose. Is this what happened?

Use Super Glue to put them back in. Wipe the shaft down inside with acetone though as well as the outside of the point, and make sure they slip in easily before putting the glue on.