Community

Idea for next year?

Old 09-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Idea for next year?

What about counting does for the contest next year. Like how much they weigh or even 1/2 of what they weigh, so that people that opt to take a doe can enter a score into the contest helping out their team. Just an idea.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idea for next year?

When you can measure a does antlers, they will be included in the contest!!!

We have already been thru this!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Antlers only.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BuckRogers

What about counting does for the contest next year. Like how much they weigh or even 1/2 of what they weigh, so that people that opt to take a doe can enter a score into the contest helping out their team. Just an idea.
I started a poll about this here several weeks back and some members got jumpin ugly at the mere thought. The responses ranged from support for it to absolute flaming hostility for the mere suggestion.

Two points against it were offered up that made sense.

1 Rob has a big enough job with bucks only without us complicating it with multiple deer

2 Some states have a one deer limit or a no doe policy which might make it less than fair for guys from those states

As far as I'm concerned, Rob has the veto power because he donates his time to run the contest and the $$$ gazillions he gets paid to do so arebarely enough to pay forthe work that a bucks only contestrequires.

Hey Rob, does HNI send you a 1099 for that bigcheck you get?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:15 AM

Good idea for trying to do something with doe. But have to say it doesn'tworkfor this contest. It gets too complicated to score / weigh does and as previously said Rob has a large enough task with this contest keeping us all in line.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sack punch.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Dominant Buck

While I'm usually all for something like this.....(incuding everyone)....I have to say this doesn't hold merit with me.

My explanation....

This was started as a "buck" contest....no matter what it's called. If we allow does to be counted.....there WILL be those among us who think ONLY scoring on a doe will be a "suitable" contribution to their team....and they'll not hunt as hard as they "might" for that buck.

NO pressure to score in this contest....unless it's internal....BUT....if a man thinks he's "contributed" by shooting a doe.....I'd say he's missing the reason this contest was started. I, for one, don't want people signing up for THIS contest.....thinking they'll shoot a doe and that they've done "their part".

That's MY opinion. I used to be "for" it. Now I'm not.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

I would support adding does to the contest with the opportunity to replace a doe with the first buck taken.

We have the responsibility to manage the herd and doe harvest is a major part of herd management.

I would make a doe worth 50 points.

JMHO
Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Dominant Buck

SO in areas that don't need does harvested.....kill 'em anyways?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that in order to appease the masses, there should be a sticky at the top of the contest board.... holding a calcutta for doe harvests. No points added toward the total or final contest score for any team.... just a side "bet" of sorts.... just like mahi, tuna and wahoo in billfish tournaments.

And moreover, we could probably make it worthwhile... say everyone who committed to it would donate .25 cents per pound for the biggest/heaviest doe killed by a contestant in the 09/10 season to their states chapter of Hunters for the Hungry....still sound like a bad idea? I'm thinking slickhead Calcutta myself.....

Might be a cool thing to do... especially for folks in states like VA where we have Urban seasons that run from September to March and super liberal bag limits on does.