Community

Scoring question? Who to ask.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default Scoring question? Who to ask.

Guys,
I've noticed that for the last two contests a lot of scoring questions pop up during the course of the season. Scoring can be tricky at times and lead to a lot of confusion. There are a lot of instances where people are shorting themselves and some instances where too many measurements are accidentally added together. After some discussion via PMs, a few of us came up with the idea of having a scoring panel or group to help out with the problems. The people that have volunteered are the following.

Buckeye
Schultzy
Kelly/KY
GregH

These people are very familiar with the P&Y scoring system and are willing to help.

What are your thoughts? Your feedback is important.

GregH
Old 09-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scoring question? Who to ask.

Thanks Greg,

I'm in full support of this as it was brought to my attention. In the past contests there have been discrepancies both shorted and by too much. This panel was assembled to help everyone with their scoring needs. These guys will be able to assist everyone with question and help make decision on questionable scores per picture posted. Although it's impossible to totally judge a rack by it's picture I honestly feel these guys through discussion can come very, very close and between them they will know if someone shorted themselves which has happened by conversely, they may find a couple that are incorrect with too many measurements as well.

I appreciate these guys stepping forward and I have faith in them.

Also, here's a great thread that can help you get started as well. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2529213&mpage=1
Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buckeye
Schultzy
Kelly/KY
GregH

Im not worried a bit with these 4 guys in charge, great idea Greg.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 PM

thumbs up
Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure I will need ya'lls help. Thank you.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest someone make up a standard scoring form with some instructions and sticky it to the top, so they dont have to work so hard.
Them spikes are a bugger to get 4 H measurements off of.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

sounds good!

thanx to the crew for volunteering!

any way the "panel" might beable to eyeball the pic and measurements and kinda make sure they go hand in hand and scoring seems to be done right?? nothing nit picky...im sure we ALL look at the entries about 10000 times...but many of us dont know much about scoring and cant look at a rack and say "should be in the 150s" i know last year i missed H measurements...luckily Rob caught it...but i messed up the scoring pretty bad...and it happens im sure...the "panel" might have noticed that Mauser didnt have the 4 H measurements just by glancing...dont wanna see guys short-changed and dont wanna see guys slipping an extra 10 or 20 inches on a rack...

just a thought to have somewhat qualified individuals kinda "check" things when they are casually looking at the entries...i know that noone can get super accurate with a pic...and stuff looks different than it actually IS sometimes...but you know what i mean...
Old 09-02-2008, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Buckeye
Schultzy
Kelly/KY
GregH

Im not worried a bit with these 4 guys in charge, great idea Greg.
Yeah, except the official measurer Kelly/KY shorted himself on his own score last year.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old 09-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I think it's great if it's handled in the right context. If people go asking for help.....it would be a great resource. These guys obviously are versed in the process (or I assume all of them are).

Are we (the panel)going looking for "discrepancies", though? That's where I think we could head down a slippery slope.

Quick Reply: Scoring question? Who to ask.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.