Scoring question? Who to ask.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scoring question? Who to ask.

Well, the way things are going, unless you count tags it won't be too difficult to score mine

Is it length and width of the tag, or price per inch that we score?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

I have a question about the "H" measurements how can a deer with less than 3 points off the main beam have all 4 "H" measurements?

H-1. Circumference at Smallest Place Between Burr and First Point

H-2. Circumference at Smallest Place Between First and Second Points

H-3. Circumference at Smallest Place Between Second and Third Points

H-4.
Circumference at Smallest Place Between Third and Fourth Points
or half way between Third Point and Beam Tip if Fourth Point is missing
Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a question about the "H" measurements how can a deer with less than 3 points off the main beam have all 4 "H" measurements?
Circumference of Main Beams - Measure the circumference of each main antler beam at the four places indicated below. Circumferences must be taken at a right angle to the longitudinal axis of the antler at the smallest place between typical tines, disregarding the non-typical tines.
H-1. Between the burr and G-1. Measure the circumference of the main antler beam at the smallest place between the burr and the typicalbrow tine, or “eyeguard” (G-1). If G-1 is absent, measure at the smallest place between the burr and the second typical tine (G-2), which will make this measurement the same as H-2.
H-2. Between G-1 and G-2. Measure the circumference of the main antler beam at the smallest place between the typical brow tine (G-1) and second typical tine (G-2). If G-1 is absent, measure at the smallest place between the burr and G-2, which will make this measurement the same as G-1.
H-3. Between G-2 and G-3. Measure the circumference of the main antler beam at the smallest place between the the second typical tine (G-2) and third typical tine (G-3). If G-3 is absent, measure at the smallest place between the center of the base of G-2 and the beam tip, which will make this measurement the same as H-4.
H-4. Between G-3 and G-4. Measure the circumference of the main antler beam at the smallest place between the third typical tine (G-3) and fourth typical tine (G-4). If G-4 is absent, measure halfway between the center of the base of G-3 and the beam tip. If G-1 (typical brow tine) is absent, measure both H-1 and H-2 at the same place. This will be at the smallest place between the burr and G-2. If G-4 (fourth typical tine) is absent, measure H-4 halfway between the center of the base of G-3 and the beam tip. If an antler has only two points– G-1 and the beam tip, measure H-2, H-3 and H-4 at the same place. This will be halfway between the center of the base of G-1 and the beam tip. If an antler has only two points– G-2 plus the beam tip, measure G-1 and G-2 at the same place between the burr and G-2, and measure G-3 and G-4 at the same place, which will be halfway between G-2 and the beam tip. If an antler is a simple spike (no tines at all), measure all four circumferences at the same place. This will be halfway between the base of the burr (not the top of the burr) and the beam tip.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you very much
Old 11-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

OK.....here's what I did. I need a ruling....lol.

I didn't know exactly what to do with "H" measurements and a 6 pointer.....so I'll tell you how I did it....and you guys tell me what to do.

I got the H1, H2's easy enough. I then went divided the MB section between the G2 and the tip into thirds....and got the H3 and H4 measurments that way (RMB). On the LMB.....there was a small abnormal point that I counted as a G3 ont hat side. In talking to Rob....I don't think that was right. It was only 1/2". What else I did was.....I got the H4 measurement from that point to the end of the MB....which was MUCH smaller in Dia. than the part before it. So I actually LOST inch(es) in counting the small abnormal as a G3.

Somebody tell me how to do it right. And....know that I may not have the skull back for a few weeks. Is there a way we can amend this with what we know? If not....I'm sure Rob won't mind amending it when I get it back.

Thanks, guys.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

OK.....here's what I did. I need a ruling....lol.

I didn't know exactly what to do with "H" measurements and a 6 pointer.....so I'll tell you how I did it....and you guys tell me what to do.

I got the H1, H2's easy enough. I then went divided the MB section between the G2 and the tip into thirds....and got the H3 and H4 measurments that way (RMB). On the LMB.....there was a small abnormal point that I counted as a G3 ont hat side. In talking to Rob....I don't think that was right. It was only 1/2". What else I did was.....I got the H4 measurement from that point to the end of the MB....which was MUCH smaller in Dia. than the part before it. So I actually LOST inch(es) in counting the small abnormal as a G3.

Somebody tell me how to do it right. And....know that I may not have the skull back for a few weeks. Is there a way we can amend this with what we know? If not....I'm sure Rob won't mind amending it when I get it back.

Thanks, guys.
Jeff, I can tell you that G3 on the left side is actually not a G3, it must be 1" long to be counted. As far as the H measurements, on a 6 point, I believe you count the H3 measurement twice.....meaning your H3 and H4 should be the same.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Dominant Buck

That's what ROb and I discussed. SO you saw how I came up with the H3 and H4 on the RMB. I figure the way I did it it's 6/one - Half dozen/the other. If I'd split the distance between where I took them I'd probably be somewhere right in between them. On the left side....I actually HURT myself/my buck by counting the abnormal as a G3.

I'll re-scor ehim when I get him back.....and I'm OK to just let what's up there stand for now. It'll likely go up slightly, though. I know the H4 will go up pretty much on the LMB. When it's all said and done....I think he'll score maybe an inch+ more.