Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46) >

Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Old 11-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Don't think I gave my kill story, of my little 7 pointer.

At about 9am i look to my left, and about 80 yards away in the bottom i see him walking with his nose to the ground. So I hit the grunt call and he makes a hard right and starts heading straight up the hill towards me. At about 50 yards in front of me, he makes another right and is now coming back to me. I figured he would be about 30 yards broadside if he stays on his path. He has his nose to the ground and tail straight up walking fast. So I set my sight for 30 yards, I draw back when he walks behind a tree, I do a mouth grunt to make his stop and sure enough he did. I let the arrow fly and the next think I see is him jump to the side, and he starts limping away. I can see I hit him in the shoulder because his leg is definitely broke. I also heard my arrow go flying after the shot, not sure at the time if it went through him or did he snap it off when we hopped off.

The deer walks about 15 yards and stops and looks around. I knock another arrow, then he walks off about 20 more yards over the hill and I can hear some russling in the leaves. After an hour I start looking for blood, not a single drop. Found my arrow, with about 4 inches missing. Keep looking for blood, nothing. Looked where he stoped, no blood, looked where I last saw him, nothing. So I start walking the trail below the ridge and I look up and there I see him, dead as a door nail. He went about 50 yards from where I shot him. While dressing him out I found the cause of death. His whole chest cavity was full of blood, I must have cut through his aorta and he bled to death in about a minute. No lung or heart damage, just arteries.

As for no blood. The hole was sealed up with shoulder muscle and even where he died and laying on the bad shoulder there was only a small drop of blood.

I got lucky I hit the arteries I did. Here is a pic of the shot.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice story, Good thing you found him. i was in the same boat, i did not hit a single organ just an artery but there was blood and fat falling out of the entrence hole we had a pretty good trail untill he fell in the pond. Congrats again.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:33 AM

Awesome Matt! Everytime I leave and come back from a week of hunting another buck is down. Wish it were me. Well I had two days of bowhunting before our firearms kicked in and all I saw were does so I passed on the girls w/ my bow. Then firearms kicked in and so did the wind like 25+mph wind it was terrible and I didn't even see deer for 3 days. I shot two more HUGE mature does one went 120 field dressed and she is the oldest doe I have seen. Taking the jaw to the wildlife dept b/c I want them to age her b/c me and my buddies have a feeling she's a real granny and just want and idea. Unfortunately no buck down or even sighted, but I know they are there and Sat I am putting up 2 more stands. This is my first year on the lease and I just now had a chance to get to know the property and have a much better idea how the deer move. As it paid off with the2 does out of a new stand site. I still have 2 months of archery left so I pray I can contribute too...I feel I will.

Congrats again Matt!!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Great story Matt..
Old 11-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you all look to see who is in 10th place. we have alot of work to do
Old 11-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks everyone. I plan on hitting the same woods this weekend hopefully his father comes strolling by.

Tenth place. Come on lets get some more inches on the board.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck to anyone going out tomarrow morning.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:34 PM

I'm not getting back out until next weekend...leaving Friday I believe.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Did any one have any luck this weekend.
Ksfowler

got a hog this morning..
Old 11-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

I had a good day today , Braved -8 degree with a slite breeze for 3 1/2 hour to catch this guy not paying attention . will post on the score board this week after my friend scores him .

Quick Reply: Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.