Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46) >

Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Old 10-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

We are starting to enter a warm spell here. tomarrow it is suppose to be in the mid 70's and stay like that for a few days. the rut is near i am starting to see bucks following does and lots of rubs and scrapes. Good Luck to all.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

Well Sat was a bust. Say over 20 Doe, had an altercation with a trespasser, Thought I was gonna get in a fight, but he walked away, I was F'ing so pissed. O well I don't think he will be back anytime soon.

Going out tomorrow, keep you all posted.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't go out this weekend never realy had a chance. well i did but it was to gosh darn hot today. it was around 80 and we had a pretty good wind i felt more like going fishing than hunting. saturday i went pheasant hunting with my uncle and my brother and another guy we shot six and lost three more it was the best day we have had in a long time. and one field we were walking we got up a big 8 or 10 point. he was a good 150 class deer he was bedded down 20 yards from where i was. i heard some crashing and it thought it was one of the dogs but my brother said deer, but by then they were in trees that you couldnt see through. then me and this other guy walked around the trees and we were looking at a scrape that he had made that morning and all the weeds that he had torn up. and the guy said look at that buck, i said where and he pointed at it. it was standing broadside at about 150 yards then he took off running and all i have to say is it was a solid deer. My dad found a dead buck on our deer lease saturday, we could not find a bullet hole or anything but who knows what happend to him. it was a young 9 point that i would have shot if he would have walked by. i think i will head out thrusday morning should have a north wind which is perfect for it. i have been waiting all season to hunt this stand hopefully it pays off. i posted the pictures of the bucks that i got 5 yards from this stand. Good Luck in the morning Kreagerm.
Sorry for the long post.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

The weather is the same here in Kentucky too ... in the mid to high 70's. The weather will be getting cooler Friday, just in time for opening day gun season in Kentucky.

I'm going tomorrow evening to see if I can't arrow a perfect, muscular eight pointer in Ohio. I know where his bedding area is and I will be setting up within a 100 yards of a cut-corn field.

I hunt adjacent to a WMA and they had a quota hunt this past weekend, I hope no one got my Monster!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

guys the have not entered my score yet.[&:]
Old 11-04-2008, 08:57 AM

I saw they still haven't entered the score too???

Well I'm back and the deer are moving in droves. Here's a (not so quick) summary..

Thurs AM - 5 inch spike crossed in front of me around 8, 8:30 6pt w/ right side missing feed right next to me...should be decent next year. Hunted in bottoms
PM - Hunting in Cedar grove, had nice 8pt cross 15 yards at last light...contemplated shooting, decided to shoot and hit small limb I didn't see and basically cut some hair off his front brisket. Damn limb...again not the biggest deer, so I'm ok with it after seeing what I saw the next days.

Fri AM - corner of field stand, raining no saw 2 does make way to field, out of sight. When I got back to camp they were bedded down 80 yards from camper. Didn't mind camp at all, they eventually wondered off. 1:30 - very nice 10 pt probably 125ish walked out in middle of field on trail of does, stopped where they were bedded...again didn't mind camp at all until he saw my buddy move. Nice enough deer.

PM - Powerline Stand, 5:30different spike crosses by me, I let him get 75 yards and grunt just to see his reaction. He comes all the way back, directly under my stand. Then works his way opposite direction. Again let him get 75 yards away and call again, works his way all the back to 5 yards below me and crosses powerline. Call worked well on him.
5:50 Doe comes out of opening across from stand jumps off prop.
6:15 Big Doe jumps fence onto prop and I call to get her close, she comes right in, but no shot until directly below me w/ no light at all...no way to look thru peep. I couldn't get shot b/c she walked exactly where I can't shoot w/ a bow.

Sat. AM Powerline Stand..8:15 10 pt MONSTER w/ big mass,not sure the score, butBIGcomes 75 yards to stand and crosses powerline. I gave him a soft grunt to try and turn him around, but he wanted non of that and blow at me and ran...not happy. Big Deer!

Sat. PM Cedar Grove Stand - Turkey's everywhere, not to thrilled to see me climb in my tree, but some stayed and feed. 6:21 Another Monsterous 10 pt with 3 tines approaching 12 inches each..not the mass of AM deer, but better length and semmatry (spelling?), crossed about 50 yards behind me and I pulled back twice, but he didn't walk out where I needed him. NO calling this time, b/c of prior results, but he is a monster, and the rubs in the area are now more apparent.

Sun AM - Powerline - Saw 3pt w/ right side missing, and 2 does, one I pulled back on and decided she was too small, so I let her walk @30 yards..no need to take another small one.

PM - Sighted in Muzzleloader so I didn't hunt. But i saw a lot of bucks w/ go racks for sure, our rifle season starts the 15th...so I think I'll get there a few days early so I can try and get one of those big boys before gun season. Unfortunately no deer down, which is definitely my fault for taking to long to debate whether or not I was going to shot the deer I missed. Hopefully I'll get a much bigger one anyway. Sorry...little lengthy, but I have a hunting journal so I can remember what's going on...so I just copy it.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

what should I do?[&:]
Old 11-04-2008, 12:42 PM

Matt, they still haven't scored Brittany's deer. I can PM him, but since your capt, I'm not sure if there's a pecking order or what. You may want to PM him on thatscore not being entered.

Great Deer again Brittany! I will try to at least match it, and if not it won't be for a lack of effort, I'll be back at it next week. Congrats again.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brittany should send Rob a PM. just say that you have posted your score and that it needs to be entered. i am guessing that since he had already entered the scores around that time he never checked again. it doesnt matter really who sends it just as long as he finds out. i will send one to him if no one else will.

MoHunting you are seeing more deer in one day than i have this season. good luck on either one of those big 10's.
Thursday i am going to go in the morning since i will have a good north wind and i dont have to be anywhere untill 10:30. ths spot is getting pounded by does, it is only a matter of time before a buck makes his move. i know of three bucks in the 110-130 range in that area. seen one two times now, and the other two i have pictures of right under my stand.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:30 PM

Good luck thursday, brother...we need one. I will be back at it hard next week but splitting time w/ gun and bow. I actually may bring my bow and keep it in my stand in case I have a close 30 yarder or so...I'll document the entry/exit holes to show it was a bow for all the non-believers as need be.

PM'd Rob for Brittany...I'll let you know what he has to say.

Quick Reply: Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.