Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46) >

Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Community

Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Old 10-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Well i went to the sportings goods store on the other side of town and they got it in about 3 minutes. went out scouting tonight i saw 16 only one decent young buck he was still inside his ears. you have a moon issue i have a wind issue. i was planning on going in the morning but the wind is suppose to be blowing right in there face so i think i will hold off. it is suppose to be windy the rest of the week i cant wait.[:@] on the bright side it is suppose to get a little cooler, there is even a 20% chance of a rain snow mix wed. night and thurs. morning. might go then if the wind holds off.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:29 AM

Hello all I'm back...Nice Buck Brittany!!! WAY TO GET THE TEAM ON THE BOARD IN STYLE!!!

No buck on the board for me, yet. I did wack a small doe. Here's the breakdown.

Wednesday, rainy...went to one of the corner stands saw 2 does traveling 20 yards from my stand snuck by prior to me being able to shoot. Then around 10:45 I was checking shooting lanes pulling my bow back, checking for elbow clearance after my mishap the 3rd day of season w/ that really decent buck, and I look down and have a nice four pointer standing right under me. Can't shoot him but, at least I know I have good cover b/c I was moving all over. Wednesday night no deer.

Thursday, cooler...we had slight frost in the valley and I saw 2 deer before hearing a dog come right by the stand chasing a deer I heard jump the fence right by me, just out of sight. I saw the dog and hell, it's not in his best interest to get closer. So then I see another dog. 20 minutes later a deer trots by and is getting ran by another dog and yet another dog is following that dog. I hate trespassing deer chasing dogs, luckily this has only happended on one occassion. Thursday night again no deer while on stand. [8D]

Friday still cool, was in a bottoms stand jumped deer up due to that terrible full moon, which will be gone soon enough. Those deer went maybe 20 yards and crossed to my right and behind me with still 30 minutes until shooting light. Around 10:45 I had to take a leak soo bad, I and didn't have any more room in the gatorade bottle (I slam coffee and starbucks double expresso drinks like it's my job) so I was thinking about getting down, when I looked behind me a had a smaller eight point 20 yard directlybehind me. I grabbed my bow turned around and he was gone. It is super thick and I listened and watched for 20 minutes, finally I decided to grunt softly...nothing. I wait and grunt again....he jumps up and was bedded down right behind me, he walked off and I couldn't get a shoot, but would shoot him since I can take 2 bucks in MO archery, as we could use another deer on the board. Friday no deer in the eve again, and we are getting frustrated at the evening's lack of deer sightings.

Saturday...action packed. Hunting a power line stand and have 3 does chasing and rearing up on their hind legs, playing louder than I have ever heard deer be. I lost sight of all but 1 of them when I see her look to my left...the other 2 snuck around beside me 30 yards. I was just getting ready to pull back on the mature doe, when the smaller doe headed right to me. I decided to rotate and shoot her b/c she would have busted me and she was 15 yards....I wacked her, perfect shot and grab another arrow, pull back on the mature doe (I have 3 antlerless tags) and she wouldn't step from behind a cedar tree, but the other one did and I just decided 1 small doe was enough for now. Sat. evening pulled back on two other does, 1 mature again wouldn't step in shooting lane and another I could have wacked at 10 yards was again too small. I had some meat, so I decided I need a mature doe.

Sunday, saw nothing, but put up 2 more stands for the varying wind scenarios. I saw another buck I just can't remember which morning actually not a shooter b/c only a 6 pointer, but we had a blast and will be back at it for a week around Halloween for prime time. Oh, and we have had good success rattling as well as my buddy missed a shooter 8 at just 15 yards...[&:] I love it!! I wouldn't be missing!!

Here's the retriever I shot..haha, just need some venison. Oh, my buddy shot a button buck he thought was a doe as well, so we both have some meat now.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 AM

hmm not sure why the pic posted as something you have to click instead of embeded but I have had this problem prior...let me try again.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Sean, It sounds like you and your buddy had a great week. Nice Doe, looks like aperfect shot, Congrats. I have a feeling you're going to be on the board soon enough with all the buck activity you're having. I've been in a buck slump, I'm hoping to turn that around this weekend. Once again Congrats and also for the great write-up!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Doe Mohunting, i bet she will taste good. Well i went out for the first time tonight and i didnt get the memo about sighting in rifles about 100 yards away (i hunt right next to a gun range.) so i picked up my trail cam from that scrape that i was talking about so here you go some good ol fashion kansas whitetails (this made my day.)

Old 10-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not much to report, but DoePeeSteve is still offline for the time being, he is coming in forhunt in my neck of the woods this weekend. He says hi to all, congrats to Brit and hopes he will nail down a big one this weekend.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

More

Old 10-22-2008, 08:29 AM

Nice deer...I really need to go pick up a trail cam. Which one do you use??
Old 10-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the update. Good luck with that nice buck!!! Trail Cams are nice to have, but I always have a fear of it being stolen.

Going out in the morning. Looks like the moon is at a better phase then it was last week. Gonna do some rattlin. Temps have been in the 50's, here we go!!!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

That camera is the Moultrie D40 it is a nice camera for the money but the next one that i buy will be an infared detection only so it will cut down on the useless tree limbs blowing. they are about twice as much but i think they are worth it. If i was in the stand and it was daylight i would of had an easy chip shot at all of those deer, i think my stand is about 5 paces from that big 10. i would shot the first two any day. Friday will be the next day i go out it will be to a different spot that i saw a decent 8 point on a couple days ago. hopefully i will at least see a deer.

Quick Reply: Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.