Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Big Bucks Gone Wild Thread (44) >

Official Team Big Bucks Gone Wild Thread (44)

Community

Official Team Big Bucks Gone Wild Thread (44)

Old 10-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: official team 44 thread

Here is a pic of my buddies ernie's deer he shot last night, we recovered it this morning(he thought he didint hit it good) but it only went 80 yards form his stand, none the less a nice deer. I took my son with us this morning. im guessing high 120's maybe 130's .what do you guys think?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I'd guess maybe 120! Great spread, it looks like. Just lacks height and mass. Nice deer though...better than anything I've seen to date. Good luck all!!
Old 10-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats to you buddy Mike! He's a dandy!

I'd guess him at 117" He has an impressive spread that I guess at 18 1/2 inside and decent mass but the tine length isn't there. I'm guessin a very healthy 2.5 or maybe a 3.5 year old.

My disclaimer: it's always tough to judge a score via photo
Let us know how he tapes out

I'm in from camp. Washing clothes and loading the truck back up and headed out to Illinois tomorrow.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys. I just got a call. We have a 140" 9 pointer down on our Illinois lease. Shot by a 16 year old! I'll try to get pics on here but it might be awhile before I can get em on. His dad missed a 125-130 buck the same night.

I'll be hunting there by Wednesday!!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congradulations to your friend. He is definetly a nice trophy.

I think i am crazy! I have been hunting just about all day Sunday (6:00-10:30am, 11:30am-1:45pm, 3:30 pm-6:30 pm), in winds of 45-50 mph at 30-40 degrees. Saturday morning I had basketball practice from 7-8:30 so I was able to get to the cabin at 9:30 and into the stand at 10:00. Well My dad, my uncle, and my uncles friends were out pheasent hunting. I got to my stand and hooked my bow to my pull up rope then started on climbing up. I got into my stand and got my bag off. I started getting the camera hooked up to the camera stand and getting everything ready when I looked up and there was a big 8 pointer staring at me. It had a swolen neck and nice body. I didn't know what to do. I didn't have my bow in hand and the buck already knew I was there because it had been checking me out for awhile. I just had my hand grabbing onto the pull up line for when the buck went behind the trees. It jumped the fence and ran behind the big tree. I started pulling up as fast and as quite as I could. I finally got my bow in my hands and got the camera turned on when the buck went running off. DANGIT!
Never saw anything for the rest of the morning. That night I decided to take the self-climber out and put it up in a tree that was on top of a small hill. (I hada stand on one side and was always seeing deer on the other side of the hill.) This is a small hill because I can shoot from one side to the other but prefer not to because its about a 50 yard shot. Well anyway, around 6:00pm I saw some movement. Guess where it was. On the hill I had my permenent stand in. The doe was a nice one and was just feeding over there but never came to the self climber.

Saturday morning was when it got crazy. I woke up from the sound of the wind hitting the cabin. I knew that it was going to be a long day. I got up and was debating wether or not to go out but decided to. I got out there and in the stand. The tree was swirving back and forth and I was scared to death. I got out at 10:30 and started walking back when I spotted some movement in the timber. I froze and and saw it was a little 8 pointer that I have camera pictures of. It ran off so I kept on walking. I went out during the day in the timber where the wind wasn't as bad but it was still bad. lol. I had a tree limb fall about 40 yards from me so hurried down the stand and back to the cabin as fast as possible. I went out that night and the wind sorta calmed down and it was safe to hunt. at 5:50, my stomached rumbled. I just thought I had gas but then I felt it... Down the stand I was running back to the cabin. That was the fastest 500 yard run I have ever ran. Just to clear it all up, I did make it to the cabin on time andthe clothes were clean. I got some photos and some videos to share to. They will come up later.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

andrew you crack me up buddy
Old 10-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try my best.
I got some photos uploaded onto the computer.

This is what we get our heat from. This stove takes a little while to warm up (about 30 minutes to an hour). But when its warm it stays warm. We let it run while im out hunting then before we go to bed we just throw a larger log on and it keeps us warm all night till morning and its still warm by then. The pan is full of water to moistureize the air so its easier to breathe.

Heres a view of our homemade cabins. The door knobs are the ends of deer sheds.
We have a sink with running water. We have a 50 Gallon tank of water at the top of the hill witha hose running down to the sink and its all gravity fed. The water preasure is pretty good too.

Best clock in the world.

Some of the sheds and smaller deer we have taken and found. The two big ones, very left and very right, we sheds we found last year during turkey hunting. I did a rough rough score on each of them. Left= 55" right=56", I am a beginner at scoring so they could be off by a couple in both ways.
The second small one from the left is my first buck. Then the small one on the very right was my first Arkansas buck which I scored at 47 1/8

These are some deer that have been taken over the years.

This is my homemade wooden camera stand. It does a complete 180 degree turn and it can tilt vertically about 100 degrees.

We have 4 stands up. I only sat in 3 of them and got pictures from 2 of them.
Sadly we still have corn up. My grandpa and uncle did get a pass around the field so they can get the ear picker in there. In the past years we usually see from 10-20 deer in this fielda day. Mostly in during the evenings when there searching for food.

This is my favorite stand. I took alot of pictures of other views around me but this is the area I see the most deer. There is a hill that starts at the top of this picture. At the top of the hill that corn field from the first stand starts and deer always come down from there straight to me.

And of course being in the middle of the timber you will have a few squirrles around.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

andrew ,what a cool cabin, and I like your camera set up,, do you have a picture of the cabin form the outside? I got a 12x28 shed on my property and have been working on making it a cabin, its almost done, I have a pot belly wood burning stove , but havent hooked it up yet, I dont have water yet either, I like your gravity fed idea, (do you guys fill it or use rain water) is it potable or just for washing dishes,etc? what do you guys use for a bathroom? I have one of those tent showers that we put a luggable loo in, ill upload a few pics of my place , thanks for the tour, looks like you got a cool place and alot of good memories there, keep it up,
Old 10-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I do have some photos of the cabin from the outside.
Our cabin was orignally a sheep shed for in the winter and the guy sold it to us for a low price and we fixed up all the walls and there was white tin on the outside. We have bought dark green paint that we were gonna use for the cabin this summer but we never got to that. It might come next year.
We added 6 feet onto the back for the bunk beds and then a 6 foot porch on the front.
Our water tank is on wheels so we drive it up to the house and fill it up with water. 50 gallons usually lasts all year. The water is for washing dishes. You can see the blue 7 gallon water tanks in that one picture. We had 4 of those out there and we are just trying to use all that water up first.

Bathroom wise we have a outhouse/shed that is about 6 feet x 12 feet. Then we have another bathroom area that also has a shower. Not like a normal shower. This is like with shower bags with a green tarp going around it.

What keeps our stove going real long is the thick steel its made out of and then it has small bricks surroudning the back part and part of the sides.

About 10 years ago my grandpa decided to put a pond in. It is a 25 (at full) feet deep and it has two stream like things that run down both sides of a hill that lead right into the pond. On one side I made some steps out of bricks with a handrailing made out of trees then we have a path going all the way around the pond and we have a little bridge on one side.
We have a paddle boat and thena pontoon out there (not sure about size... I'd say about 7 feet x 10 feet.) Well about 5 years ago we kept talking about putting a cabin in but never had the time or money to do so. Well we bought the sheep shed real cheap from some friends and then fixed it up and hauled it out there. Oh boy was it an adventure getting the cabin down a hill when your surrounded my trees. We had a tractor acually pulling it down the hill then a tractor at the top keeping it from sliding down real fast and breaking everything. We have donea lot in that cabin over the year and we are very proud of it.

Heres some pictures. Ill get some more next weekend. Ill take some pictures of the whole area of our great civilization out there.

The porch over looks the pond and a huge hill side where you can see all sorts of critters go accross.

Acually I found a little video that i had on there from awhile ago.
http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll77/huntingsphere/?action=view&current=Cabin.flv
Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found some more photos in a file...

This was when it was still at home in the shop. After we got everything in side torn out.

Oh and guess what. Some real good friends of ours got married at our pond. They did the marriage thing (the "I do" and so on) on our porch. I have pictures of it but theres a bunch of people in it and I dont think they would like there faces on the internest to bad.

Quick Reply: Official Team Big Bucks Gone Wild Thread (44)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.