Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Big Bucks Gone Wild Thread (44) >

Official Team Big Bucks Gone Wild Thread (44)

Community

Official Team Big Bucks Gone Wild Thread (44)

Old 09-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: official team 44 thread

ORIGINAL: Pope94/IA

Not so sure about that first buck, picture is a bit blury. That second one sure is a good one. I would be so happy to take it. i just set my camera out a couple nights ago, Ill get it september 20th.

Are any of you trying any calling this year? Possibly a decoy and some doe urine?

Ill be trying to grunt/snort/wheeze call along with some tinks #1 doe urine.
Andrew, just a little advice about that snort wheeze. It's a call that should only be used very sparingly and only on the biggest baddest bucks in your area. It's basically the sound of a boss buck opening a can of whoopass. It could very well make adecent but lesserbuck tuck tail and run for the next county. I have only seen a deer do it once in PA (shot him at 6 yards while he was doing it) and a handful of times in Illinois. It was always when the biggest buck around was warning subordinate bucks to stay away from his doe.

It can be very effective on that boss buck.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like them boss bucks.

This is the first year of it so any advice would be good.

i also have a couple plain grunt calls.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ordinary grunt calls are far less risky to use. Usually, the worst reaction from a simple grunt is indifference but it will often turn a buck your way.
BTW, you may already know this but NEVER call to a deer that is already coming your way.

JMHO !!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that "wheeze" is what the boss sounds like and the smaller bucks will , turn right around from this one. stick with light grunts, and rattling,, bucks of all sizes will investigate a fight!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well guys, the velvet is coming off around here. These 4 trailcams are from Monday and yestrday and the two on the right have shed their fuzz while the two on the right look close

Old 09-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

good pics guys.
i am fired up four weeks from yesterday. I plan to hang my stand monday or tueday.
i had to wait till the first due to state law on public land and yesterday i ordered my stand lock which is a cable made by master lock that adjust to fit tight and has a lock and not a padlock type.

Plus i ordered some set of feet that helps level out the ladder and keeps it from sinking.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes I do know not to call whilea deer is coming. A the wheeze may be in handy this season because I do have a lot of boss bucks and I am aiming for one of the two main boys which will score in the 150s and 160's.

I wish i had some trail camera photos to share but currently the camera is getting the pictures.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well,I'm off to Arizona to visit my daughter and her family this week. Thought about taking the bow along but the tags would be almost $400 for deer. Not worth it for maybe one or two days so I packed up the .223 and the predator call and I'm gonna team up with a cousin and chase coyotes and bobcats for a few days while I'm out there.

I think it'll be early morning hunts only.
Temps predicted in the 100's every day
Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck. Bring back a coyote or bobcat with some pictures to share.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:57 PM

Fellas, I just got back in town from a wonderfull weekend in the woods . Got the last of my stands hung, and somelast minute scouting done, as well. It will glassing from a distance from here on out.
You're right BTB, I saw 5 bucks this weekend and 4 hadzero velvet left. I also found the first rubs of the year. And man, are they running in bigger groups this year, or isit just me?. . .I counted 38 deer on a 3 mile drive/glass session yesterday at dusk. Tonight, I had trouble getting back to my truck after watchingthe bean field thatmy last couple of stands are on. A group of 8were feeding until almost pitch black . . then after moving on, another group of 6 entered. I thought I'd never get out of there, and the skeeters were eating me alive!!

Quick Reply: Official Team Big Bucks Gone Wild Thread (44)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.