Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Judo Chop Thread (24) >

Official Team Judo Chop Thread (24)

Community

Official Team Judo Chop Thread (24)

Old 11-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Judo Chop Thread (24)

Well the guy I've been after got hit by a car. Heres the story.

Well today started off with a call from a friend telling me and my brother that a HUGE 10 point had been hit by a carjust down the road from our house. Our friend said he had cut off the one horn that was left on the deer. The other had busted off from fighting or something. When we arrived at the deers carcass and saw it was a HUGE bodied deer. My brother went and checked the antler that our friend had and when he came back I asked if it was "him." He wasnt sure.

Now lets get some background information. We've been after a certain deer for two years and he's an absolute brute for this area. He's a huge 10 and we figured he'd score around 130. We've had trail camera pictures of him for two years but when the season rolls around he's always AWOL. The last we'd seen him was around August 28th.We've hunted for him almost exclusively for two bow seasons. A friend down the road has his sheds from 3 years ago and another guy has his sheds from last year. We estimate this deer at around 5.5 years old.
Fast forward to today. My brother says he isnt sure if its him or not so I go down and check the antler, and OFCOURSE its our boy. We only had one antler so we took a bunch of trailcam pictures and studied and compared, TRYING to convince ourselves it wasnt him. No matter how hard we tried, there was no denying. It was "Hollywood" or "Rom" as we call him.

So the now that we've come to our senses and realize its him I was a bit curious and decided to score his one antler.

Heres what I came up with:
MB- 23 5/8
G1- 3 5/8
G2- 9
G3- 7 7/8
G4- 3 4/8
H1- 5
H2- 4 3/8
H3- 4 5/8
H4- 4
Spread ( measured to center of head) 10 1/4

Multiply this score by two (saying he's perfectly semetrical, which he wouldnt be, but for sake of a score) and you'll see he scores ~151

For little ol' mckean county and where we live this is just a pig. Here is a picture I took and then made a mirror of the one side to give an idea of how he would have looked with both sides.

To say we're a bit upset is an understatement. Two years of scouting and working for this guy and he gets hit by a car is unreal.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man thats a shame that he got hit by a car, he is a monster. Hows everyone making out? I saw some nice deer on my trip to kansas, the biggest being about 130, maybe alittle more, but passed on him hoping that a whopper would come out, he never did. I may be going back out in December to try again, we will see.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:09 AM

Things are really about to start happening here. My dad is seeing some really good ones out on his lease, seeing some with does, etc. Weather is suppossed to get cold this weekend, and we just had a full moon. I am expecting the lid to blow off of it next week.

My hunting has been a little limited though, been real busy. My oldest sons football team is undefeated, and looks like they may can make a run at the 1A state championships. We have a blowoff bi-district game this week, but then play the returning state champions next week at regionals. They will be tough, but we are good enough to play with them, and I think we can beat them.

Gonna really try and get out this weekend and get some hunting done. The time is here, for the next 3-4 weeks it will be good.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

PA's last day of the season is this Saturday. What a joke.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I'm headed out in the morning. Hopefully the big boys will be out chasing the does. The weather looks good and I plan on being out all day.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:27 PM

I saw the King tonight.

Haven't had any pictures of him all year, was thinking maybe he didn't make it. He is alive. He ghosted throught the woods about 80 yards out from me, maybe 30 yards or so inside our property line. Just got a few glimpses, but it was him.

I think that is where he is traveling, which is a bad thing. Too close to the property line to be shooting with a bow. I either have to draw him out, deeper into our property, or (horror of horrors) break him down with a big bullet through the shoulders.

Or just hope to get lucky, and catch him out of his normal travel. But like I said, the good news is he is still alive.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

Hey guys I got a buck today! Not the one I was hoping for but I've missed 3 huge bucks so I decided if I had a decent rack in front of me I was taking it. He's an 8pt probably score 110ish.

I'll get pics up Sunday. I'm exhausted,just got home 10pm.I wasin the woodsfrom 6am-6pm, the winds were crazy today gusting to 30mph but the bucks were on the move.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job hammerman. I cant wait to see it and hearthe story.

My last day was saturday for the early season here in pa. I'll be back out in january for the late season.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hammerman, congrats on the buck.

I got lucky friday afternoon and got myself a nice 8 point as well. I havent scored him yet, he is at the butcher, but he is somewhere around 105 or so. It was a great sit, saw another 8 pt but couldnt get the shot off, then shot the 8 that i got and then while I was sitting there taking everything in, thinking about what just happened, a grey fox ran by and i shot him as well. Ill post the pics in alittle bit.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, great job guys. Cant wait to hear the stories and see the pictures. I wont be able to contribute now until December 26th for late season. Hopefully you guys pick up my slack.Good job on the bow kills. Cant wait for pictures.

Quick Reply: Official Team Judo Chop Thread (24)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.