Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Bone Freaks Thread (3) >

Official Team Bone Freaks Thread (3)

Community

Official Team Bone Freaks Thread (3)

Old 11-14-2008, 11:02 PM

Default RE: Official Team Bone Freaks Thread (3)

Great bucks so far guys. I haven't even been able to get into the woods yet this year.

I am hoping to get some hunting in come December.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I hunted hard for 17 straight days and did not get it done. Have two slob bucks on property that played cat and mouse with me. they won for now. I won't be back out with the bow till after gun season, which means cold days of december.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trent Congrats to you father on a awesome buck

Well I still dont have a monster yet but I am up to 5 Doe's so far.
I have Been bowhunting pretty much nonstop except I was so tired I stayed home and stared at the back of my eyelids this morning[8D]
Here is a pic of another Doe

Old 11-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Well I hunted 7 of the last 10 days and never got close enough to draw on anything. Kind of dissapointed so far. Hit some great spots and should have had plenty of action can't figure it out. On top of a poor week that I had high hopes for, I think I sprained my wrist Sunday working around the house. Should have been hunting but winds where gusting over 30mph.Hurts like heck to bend it (I know don't bend it)will rest it up for a little while. Tried to shoot the bow today one arrow was enough to convince me not to. Ouch.[:@]

Hope the rest of you are getting out and congrats to all who scored already. Good luck to all that have not yet.

I still have till Dec 31st, so plenty of time left.

Paul
Old 11-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Typical Buck

The rut is appearing to wind down a little here in illinois and with the 3 day slaughter coming it will dampen even more! oh well, i love to hunt so I will still get some days in a tree....good luck to you all in the rest of the season!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Well guys with the first archery season over, I think that I will be of no assistance to the team. The second season is from Dec 26 on, but I would have to hunt the public land, and after rifle season the deer don't really want to move.I tried archery last year during rifle season, I shot a nice buck that ran about 30 yards and was standing there bleeding bad, when a rifle hunter shot it to finish it. I tried to plead my case that I shot it first but he said since he finished it off, it was his. No point on arguing more, the game commission would have sided with him anyway.

This past Friday I was out and had a freaky looking buck come in at 50 yards. He had a perfect 4 on the left side, but his right side was all screwed up. It came up around for about 10 -12 inches then turned upward for 6. It had an addition tine beside it matching in height. It had a small brow tine I believe to make it a 7 point. I was hoping he came in, I wanted something as unique as his, but it never worked out. That afternoon I relocated to a spot that wasn't hunted at all. As I was walking in I looked down the hill in a gap between to hugh rocks and saw a doe feeding about 60 yards out. The wind was blowing from her to me so I slow tried to stalk closer. I took a couple of steps and seen another doe alot closer, about 30 yards but was behind a tree. I was standing a little ackward, so I stepped to the left to reposition and when I looked to the right below the big rock stood about 6 more doe and a nice buck about 20 yards away. Well they saw me and jetted taking the buck and the other two doe with them. I continued down the hill across a shelf to over look another hill that gave me a 15 yard shot right infront of some of the thickest stuff ever. The deer like to travel the front of the thicket so I set up. After about 15 minutes, I could hear deer moving just on the other side of the hill out of site. I turned and noticed 3 more deer running across the shelf that I crossed so they must have been picking up my scent. I opened a bottle of tinks and set it beside me as a cover scent. I grunted a couple of times to try and draw those deer that were below and to the right of me over. I heard a snap behind me and turned to see a good (possible 110" 8 point) standing about 10 - 15 yards behind me. He caught my movement and bolted. As the day was ending with about 40 more minutes of light left, I was watching down the hill again and heard a snap up behind me again. This time turning slower I saw nothing. When I turned back around, there was an 8 point (about 100") 15 yards and closing. He was coming in behind some grapevines right from one of my shooting lanes and heading for another. I drew back waiting for him to come thru, but he never did. He turned and went away from me. Just then the wind shifted and blew my scent right down into the thick cover from where I heard about 12 different snorts and crashing, running away. I left and made my way back to the truck.

Saturday just sucked plain and simple. I saw one deer driving in and thought it would be ok. Usually in this place, if we catch any moving on our way in, we see alot of deer. I got to my tree about an hour before sunrise. About 15 minutes prior to legal shooting time I saw two deer to my left feeding but where moving out of the area and by the time legal time was there, they were gone. I started drizzling on and off all morning and then the fog rolled in. There where periods that it felt like something was going to happen but never did. I stayed there until 12:30 when the sky opened up and poured down. I said screw it and headed out. It poured for about an hour and half and stopped. I was already packed up and headed home. Wouldn't you know it that on the way home I say at least a dozen deer out feeding/travelling around.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

08 Gun Buck for Team Lucky 13. Wish I could have gotten em with a bow for us!!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Brad, congrats on a great buck.

I Like the T/C I will be using mine for the PA gun season as well,just don't know if it will be the 06' version or the muzzy.

Paul
Old 11-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Nice buck i really like his character. his body looks small is that just the photo or is he a younger deer. rack doesn't look that way.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Typical Buck

He is far from small..field dressed 215lbs. Just must be the way you are seeing the pics. He is at least a 5 year old buck.....I know this due to trail cam photos of the buck. He likely weighed a bit more a couple weeks ago because his chest was huge and he looked run down and had a lot of loose skin. A buddy of mine's buck looked the same way.

Quick Reply: Official Team Bone Freaks Thread (3)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.